Coopers stout whiskey. Which yeast?

Sugar wash info and questions

Coopers stout whiskey. Which yeast?

Postby shortcut » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:59 pm

Hey I wanna make a sugar wash with a tin of Coopers stout lme in it. I have always used bakers yeast but there was a sachet of yeast that came with the tin.
What do guys reckon?
It’s a beer yeast I guess but I don’t know what that means, lower yield? ,more/better flavour? , same?
Also want to hear from dudes that have tried this and if they liked the result. There is mixed reports on the net and some bullshit about hops oil wrecking stills. Gonna try it.
Thanks lads.
shortcut

equipment: Keggomax-CM
unfinished copper pot still

Re: Coopers stout whiskey. Which yeast?

Postby gap » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:52 am

Depending on the Starting Gravity of your wash there may not be enough yeast in that sachet to complete fermentation.
gap

equipment: nothing at the moment. want to purchase or make a pot still

Postby deryn » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:10 am

I have 5L of coppers lager whiskey sitting on oak at the moment. I used bakers yeast, two tins of lager lme and raw sugar. It's still too early to say if it's going to be any good or not, it's only been on 50g of oak for a month and a half.
deryn

equipment: .
SS T500
SS Alembic Pot
4 x 30L Fermenters

Postby username » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:09 pm

Why not just use the cooper dark malt extract which is unhopped? Then you are roughly following the MacWhiskey Method

Kit yeast is good for 23L at 5% abv approx, more than that and it will need help. Expect final gravity around 1.010.
username

equipment: 2" Pot on keg, gas driven.

Postby shortcut » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:45 pm

gap wrote:Depending on the Starting Gravity of your wash there may not be enough yeast in that sachet to complete fermentation.

Ta mate. You might be right. I did both the sachet and a similar amount of bakers as well.
Although I didn’t check specific gravity anyway.
shortcut

Postby shortcut » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:52 pm

username wrote:Why not just use the cooper dark malt extract which is unhopped? Then you are roughly following the MacWhiskey Method

Kit yeast is good for 23L at 5% abv approx, more than that and it will need help. Expect final gravity around 1.010.

Postage out here is a bastard. I hate paying more postage than the article purchased. Next time I’m in the big smoke I’ll grab a few tins and some caramalt. Been fanging to make MacWhisky for ages. This is a bit of an experiment.
shortcut

Postby shortcut » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:58 pm

deryn wrote:I have 5L of coppers lager whiskey sitting on oak at the moment. I used bakers yeast, two tins of lager lme and raw sugar. It's still too early to say if it's going to be any good or not, it's only been on 50g of oak for a month and a half.

:handgestures-thumbupleft: keen to hear how it turns out.
How much sugar did you use?
Wonder if I should bust in a second tin. Smells pretty excellent in the fermenter, I hope some of that carries over.
shortcut

Return to Sugar wash's