Sound like stalled ferment

Sugar wash info and questions

Sound like stalled ferment

Postby copperhead road » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:10 pm

I have an experimental whiskey ferment (8 litres of grains,7 kg of sugar and topped up to 60 litres) that's been going for 3 days, the fermenter is wrapped in blankets and temp is 35 degrees. It has seemed to have stop working and no activity out of the airlock.
It's a very good quality German made fermenter so I know there is no leaks in regards to screw on lid.
I am wondering if this sounds like a stalled ferment?
:think:
I thought that would only happen if the temp dropped below 20 degrees.
If is sounds like a stall what is the best way to restart it? :think:

I pitched Lowans yeast at 35 degrees 3 days ago and gravity was 1060
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Re: Sound like stalled ferment

Postby TasSpirits » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:36 pm

Have you checked the gravity? No fermenter with a screw on lid is leak proof IMHO, you would be amazed at the number of time people have said "there's nothing happening in the airlock has it finished or stalled?" If your unsure, first thing to do is put your ear against it, if there is no fizzing sound it maybe finished. PS 35' is way to hot for a whisky, it wants to be around 20-25' :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Plumby » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:19 am

Best to check gravity over 2 or 3 days, if you get the same reading every time its done.
I've had a ujsm ferment finish in 4 days due to hot weather and high starting temp so 3 days is possible, especially if you have been keeping the fermented above 30 degrees.
I find like Tas mentioned that you get a better flavor and bigger hearts cut if you can keep the fermenter temp low and go for a slow ferment time.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby copperhead road » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:49 am

Thanks Plumby, I will check today :handgestures-thumbupleft: The thermometer I used to check temp before I pitched yeast was faulty and read 29 degrees, once I screwed the fermenter lid on the temp gauge in the fermenter lid went straight up to 35 degree :angry-banghead:
That's how that situation arose
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby Sparrow » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:28 am

What are you doing with your washes when they're done? Isn't your still in yanky land at the moment?
Sparrow

equipment: 4 plate bubbler on a 50l keg boiler.

Postby wynnum1 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:30 am

8 litres of grain what sort of grain.and what have you done with it.
wynnum1

Postby pingu » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:08 am

Whats a German made fermenter? pics?
pingu

equipment: 2" Pot with Shotgun on Keg

Postby copperhead road » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:21 am

WOW, 60 litre whiskey ferment finished in 2.5 days after accidentally pitching lowans yeast at 35 degrees, in the winter with no heating belt :happy-partydance:
Put it down Monday afternoon and checked this morning, start 1060 finish 990 :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So it was completely finished not stalled
This whiskey must be on amphetamines :laughing-rolling:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
copperhead road

Postby wynnum1 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:13 am

Not surprised its finished i through you where keeping at 35 c did a beer reusing yeast and it finished in 2 days starting at 22 c and cooling down not sure that lowans is best yeast for flavor but higher temperature may make a difference
wynnum1

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:42 pm

Fast isn't necessarily good, mate.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby copperhead road » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:16 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Fast isn't necessarily good, mate.

Not sure what you mean? But it happened because of me accidentally pitching yeast at 35 degrees and with all the activity it maintained 35 degrees for the entire time. Either way it's finished and it will still work, I will let it settle for a week. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
One can do as the pros advise and not use turbos, but still there's always something..........
copperhead road

Postby coffe addict » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:59 pm

I think what he would be getting at is 2.5days is very quick and runs the risk of stressing the yeast thereby reducing the quality of the wash. Which creates higher alcohols and reduced heart cut. Every change in any part of the process changes the end product sometimes better sometimes not.
It'll be fine but it is outside of optimum, it's a learning curve.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby copperhead road » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:52 pm

coffe addict wrote:I think what he would be getting at is 2.5days is very quick and runs the risk of stressing the yeast thereby reducing the quality of the wash. Which creates higher alcohols and reduced heart cut. Every change in any part of the process changes the end product sometimes better sometimes not.
It'll be fine but it is outside of optimum, it's a learning curve.

Thanks coffe, helpful easy to understand explanation goes so far in helping novice nobs like me and many others to learn the ropes. Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

Postby TasSpirits » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:06 pm

pingu wrote:Whats a German made fermenter? pics?

:text-+1:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby bluc » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:13 pm

Fast ferment or spiedel :-B i like the look of the fast ferment..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby copperhead road » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:01 pm

Like a fermentation vessel but is about twice as thick with non stick insides, built in watts thermometer, clip on or off ball valve, silicone bunds and seals and airlock.
I know it would not be what most blokes here would buy as they will say "l could buy 6 Chinese ones for the same price" :teasing-blah:
Works for me as for 1 there completely non stick and rinse straight off and 2 they do not leak and 3 there top quality handles. Everything that's made in Germany is top shelf generally,
There an absolute dream to play with compared to my olive drums
just my 2 cents :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Will post pic tomorrow if I get a chance
copperhead road

Postby Dig Brinker » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:55 am

Built in thermometers that fail on the first or second batch. Like a Beemer where the airbags cost more to replace than the whole car. Love that German engineering lol. :laughing-rolling:
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby pingu » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:51 am

copperhead road wrote:

Like a fermentation vessel but is about twice as thick with non stick insides, built in watts thermometer, clip on or off ball valve, silicone bunds and seals and airlock.
I know it would not be what most blokes here would buy as they will say "l could buy 6 Chinese ones for the same price" :teasing-blah:
Works for me as for 1 there completely non stick and rinse straight off and 2 they do not leak and 3 there top quality handles. Everything that's made in Germany is top shelf generally,
There an absolute dream to play with compared to my olive drums
just my 2 cents :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Will post pic tomorrow if I get a chance

Sounds good! cheers
pingu

equipment: 2" Pot with Shotgun on Keg

Postby copperhead road » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:40 am

Dig Brinker wrote:Built in thermometers that fail on the first or second batch. Like a Beemer where the airbags cost more to replace than the whole car. Love that German engineering lol. :laughing-rolling:

So true, ya got me :laughing-rolling:
copperhead road

Return to Sugar wash's