Spiced cfw?

Sugar wash info and questions

Spiced cfw?

Postby rash » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:07 pm

Maybe CFW just isn't my thing...
I run a batch of CFW about 4mths ago and was surprised at how much cornflakes flavour it kept straight out of the still (single run through 4 plate, 3" bubbler). The corn flavour was a bit too much for me, so did another batch including a tin of liquid malt. Can't remember if I reduced the amount of flakes..
So 4mths on oak and the flavour has seemed to mellow out a bit, the 2nd batch more to my liking, though both not really my thing.. a bit too corny sweet.
Rum is my thing, and have had good success with a spiced formula posted by Linny (thanks Linny!).
Got me thinking that maybe I could do something similar with the 4ltrs of 65% CFW I have still aging.
This is the recipe Linny had posted up for 2ltrs of 40% rum..

1 vanilla bean pod, split in half
1 slice of orange peel, about 2 inches long ( with the white skin removed - makes it bitter ) 
1 cinnamon stick
3 points of Star of Anise 
3 whole cloves
1 teaspoon of Sugar
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

Anyone tried a spiced CFW?
Ash
rash

equipment: Pot still
4 plate, 3" bubbler on 50ltr keg boiler.

Re: Spiced cfw?

Postby Dig Brinker » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:46 am

I’ve tried a spiced bourbon and didn’t like it.

Each to their own though, you might.
Give a small amount a try, I wouldn’t do the whole lot. Or maybe a few small batches with different spices in each.
Google spiced bourbon for inspiration.

Good luck.
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:47 pm

Did try some Jerimiah Weed ,wich is a spiced bourbon not too long ago and I did not mind it for a change ,I would prolly go about half or even 1/4 the mix Linny used as bourbon is a softer flavour profile than rum and the full amount may overpower it,then add ifn it is not enough.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
Last edited by hillzabilly on Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby rash » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:44 pm

Dig Brinker wrote:I’ve tried a spiced bourbon and didn’t like it.

Each to their own though, you might.
Give a small amount a try, I wouldn’t do the whole lot. Or maybe a few small batches with different spices in each.
Google spiced bourbon for inspiration.

Good luck.

I have never tried it myself. Did a Google search and cinnamon bourbon comes up a lot... might go in that direction.

hillzabilly wrote:Did try some Jerimiah Weed ,wich is a spiced bourbon not too long ago and I did not mind it for a change ,I would prolly go about half or even 1/4 the mix Linny used as bourbon is a softer flavour profile than rum and the full amount may overpower it,then add ifn it is not enough.cheers hillzabilly ;-)

Yeah Jerimiah Weed come up as a cinnamon whisky too. Found some recipes that used around 8 to 10 cinnamon sticks per bottle with chilly flakes, oil and a heap of sugar.
Might keep with the rum spices, tone down the vanilla, up the cinnamon, and go half the mix to start as you suggested.
Thanks guys :D
Ash
rash

Postby Plumby » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:58 pm

To be honest I think you will ruin a good whiskey by adding rum spices to it.
Last edited by Plumby on Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby rash » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:11 pm

Plumby wrote:To be honest I think you will ruin a good whiskey by adding rum spices to it.

:handgestures-thumbupleft: all opinions appreciated, might try with 1ltr of the first batch, and age the rest longer to see if the flavour mellows out more to my liking. Thanks,
Ash
rash

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:59 pm

I used ta have a really really soft spot for the Wild Turkey Honey bourbon liquor wich came in a hexagonal bottle but the bastards stopped making it several years ago :angry-banghead: ,have tried ta replicate it but gave up ,may try again one day,I like that sort of stuff neat in winter or added to a good coffee,just for a change of pace.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby shortcut » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:53 pm

rash wrote:Maybe CFW just isn't my thing...
I run a batch of CFW about 4mths ago and was surprised at how much cornflakes flavour it kept straight out of the still (single run through 4 plate, 3" bubbler). The corn flavour was a bit too much for me, so did another batch including a tin of liquid malt. Can't remember if I reduced the amount of flakes..
So 4mths on oak and the flavour has seemed to mellow out a bit, the 2nd batch more to my liking, though both not really my thing.. a bit too corny sweet.
Rum is my thing, and have had good success with a spiced formula posted by Linny (thanks Linny!).
Got me thinking that maybe I could do something similar with the 4ltrs of 65% CFW I have still aging.
This is the recipe Linny had posted up for 2ltrs of 40% rum..

1 vanilla bean pod, split in half
1 slice of orange peel, about 2 inches long ( with the white skin removed - makes it bitter ) 
1 cinnamon stick
3 points of Star of Anise 
3 whole cloves
1 teaspoon of Sugar
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

Anyone tried a spiced CFW?
Ash

Yeah done it, love it. That’s the recipe we use for making “KRAKEN” rum. But I’ve used wbab and cfw instead of macrum before. Most people love it but not everyone likes cinnamon. We call it “Christmas Kraken” cos it tastes like Christmas cake. Do it.
shortcut

equipment: Keggomax-CM
unfinished copper pot still

Return to Sugar wash's