RUMBLORRRR the unfermentable stuck wash

Sugar wash info and questions

Re: RUMBLORRRR the unfermentable stuck wash

Postby danwbrews » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:47 am

nuddy wrote:
danwbrews wrote:Not knowing the temp difference between the yeast starter and the wash is where I see the problem. If there is a more than 8 degree F in temperature between the two, the yeast go into shock. You should always temper your yeast to the temp of your wash. Its a slow process but is doable. You add a small amount of your wash to the starter, say 1/4. let it set for a while (see a fermentation start). Then add 1/2 the amount to the total of the first addition. Let that set a while then add the yeast the main wash. Yeast go into shock if there is to much difference in temp. This will cause them to stop growing or even killing a vast amount of them. Least case you will get lots of esters that will not produce alcohol but lots of tails (too few yeast cells). Worst case you will get an infection (slow ferment start that allows souring stuff like Lacto to take over) . Any way your yeast and wash should be at the same, or within 8 F, temperature when pitching for a clean wash. Poor quality yeast will always cause a stuck ferment. Being a beer and wine brewer for over 25 years I've seen it all (stupid mistakes by myself) and also from people I instruct in those passions. Yeasts are your friends. Treat them well and they will reward you with a good product, mistreat them and they will mess up your final product.
Sorry for the rant, been teaching this a while.
Dan

Danwbrews no need to apologies for the rant, some interesting and good information you've provided there which backs up some reading I did. Always a nice thing to find out :handgestures-thumbupleft: A few months after this kerfuffle I stumbled across yeast pitching temperature differences and the addition of wash to slowly bring it within temperature tolerances. The book I was reading called it "attemperation", it's something I am much more aware of now a days, I unfortunately do not remember the temps when trying to get that rum wash to start.

danwbrews wrote:Yeast go into shock if there is to much difference in temp. This will cause them to stop growing or even killing a vast amount of them. Least case you will get lots of esters that will not produce alcohol but lots of tails (too few yeast cells).
Dan

I don't suppose you have any more information on this increase in the production of esters that creates lots of tails? Is that not the reason people underpitch yeast and ferment hot to create a slightly stressful environment for the yeast which then create these flavourful esters as a response? Or it is producing the wrong esters?

Yes, it's true that for certian beer styles people will under pitch, Hefe's and a lot of Belgian types develope more of the clove and banana flavors or dark fruits depending on the yeast. I'm new to fermenting for distallation so that is one I will have to investigate.
I've see many posts that remind people not to let the yeast get to hot for neutral runs because it will cause you to get less product. For Rums that might mean more flavour good or bad.
danwbrews

equipment: I'm new to the hobby. I've been a beer brewer for 23 years. Building a CCVM still that can be used as a pot still when I want.
I have a 15 gallon Keg with 2 2000 W electric heaters. with a 2"potstill head 20" tall and a 2" shotgun condenser 20" long with four 1/2" condenser tubes. A 1.5 meter packed column is in the works.

Postby dans.brew » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:02 am

I've just had a rum wash shut up shop on me too. Initially i think the drop in ph was the problem, but i did bump that back up and it still wouldn't fire.
I hydrated yeast and gradually added wash, added some DAP, added a couple crushed multi vitamins, added a bit of epsom salt... nothing helped. :think:
The only thing i found to do the trick in the end was to water down the wash: 2 parts wash, 1 part rainwater
It's bubbling away nicely now... just wondering how much effect it will have on flavour watering it down?
Being that the wash should still yield the same im hoping it should still drag out some flavour... if not, well it was gonna go down the drain like nuddys so nothing to loose.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby fizzix » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:27 am

I think as long as you get conversion of course you're not going to lose flavor.
Last edited by fizzix on Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
fizzix

equipment: 8-gallon stainless 2" reflux column with copper mesh packing.

Postby dans.brew » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:34 pm

Thanks fizzix... that was my thinking too, but wasn't really sure.
The extra wash just makes for an extra run i have to run through.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Previous

Return to Sugar wash's