Nutrigrain Whiskey

Sugar wash info and questions

Nutrigrain Whiskey

Postby Ned » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:39 pm

Just trying my hand at a Nutrigrain whiskey.
Need some clarification that I am heading in the right direction.
Put down a 25 litre wash as per the tried and Proven recipe (used 60 grams of yeast)(crushed the NG)(about 8% ABV)
After fermenting it was quite clear (no sediment)(as I cold crashed for 4 days) No grain smell ?
Run through the 4 plate neutriliser using just 4 plates
Refluxed for 15 minutes (Not sure if I should have done that)
Took 250 ml of foreshots.
Did my head hearts and tail cuts in small jars. (Only did the tails to 40%)
Not much taste.
Possibly ony going to get 1 litre of Hearts @ 40% (I think I need to kept this at 60% to oak)
The heads and tails I will keep for a neutral run
The hearts I will keep and added to the 2nd distilled generation of heart
This time I did 40 Litres (8 litres of backset which is 20% 8 kg of sugar and I addes 36 grams of yeast)( 2 packet of NG) all on the trub. Going to be about 8% again.
Bit worried about the PH being 3.74 ( I started fermenting within the hour) I added some baking soda. I Hope the yeasties are happy and keep going.
Am I on the right track in regard to just using 4 plates, should I reflux at all or just let it power through.
I think I will do 4 generations and than put on oak in a barrel. (Taking some of the trub out 3rd and 4th generation.
Woolies NG half price till tomorrow and Coles half price from tomorrow.
:text-thankyoublue:
Ned

equipment: 4" 4 Plate Bubbler with 500m packed section/blockhead and 50 litre milk can. Only the best.

Re: Nutrigrain Whiskey

Postby Doubleuj » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:48 pm

Hey mate, I moved your post to the sugar wash section.
I reflux for a half hour or so on my 4 plate still but I never cold crash my wash. I don’t mind running a bit dirty.
You’ll find a lot more flavour comes out after oaking too.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby woodduck » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:00 pm

Nothing wrong with refluxing for a bit. Have you read Macs easy way to run a plated colomn? viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2681

65% for soaking is best

8 ltrs of backset is quite a bit and would be why your Ph is low. No need to add more yeast for generations. Just put some water on the trub in the bottom of the fermenter when you fill the boiler and make sure you don't dump really hot backset on the trub and the yeast will go again.

4 plates is good for brown spirits like NGW :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Good luck
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Ned » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:23 pm

Doubleuj wrote:Hey mate, I moved your post to the sugar wash section.
I reflux for a half hour or so on my 4 plate still but I never cold crash my wash. I don’t mind running a bit dirty.
You’ll find a lot more flavour comes out after oaking too.

Okay thanks for that. I have done plenty of neutral and done a gin, but the NG whiskey I just could not get my head around :angry-banghead:
Ned

equipment: 4" 4 Plate Bubbler with 500m packed section/blockhead and 50 litre milk can. Only the best.

Postby Ned » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:30 pm

woodduck wrote:Nothing wrong with refluxing for a bit. Have you read Macs easy way to run a plated colomn? https://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/view ... =36&t=2681

65% for soaking is best

8 ltrs of backset is quite a bit and would be why your Ph is low. No need to add more yeast for generations. Just put some water on the trub in the bottom of the fermenter when you fill the boiler and make sure you don't dump really hot backset on the trub and the yeast will go again.

4 plates is good for brown spirits like NGW :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Good luck

:text-thankyoublue:
Yep been brewing beer for about 10 years and 12 month ago thought I would try distilling and got a 4 plate neutraliser with a 500 packed section with copper and scoria/
Done plenty of neutral so I have run my still like Macs easy way no worries, but just could not get my head around how to run it like a pot still for flavour. I did read somewhere that about 20% of backset was about the go . Yep did all the water thing, but wasnt sure if I was running it correctly doing a reflux for 15 mins, which I do when I am stripping prior to a spirit run with a TPW. Lokks like I am somehwhere in the ball park :text-lol:
Ned

Return to Sugar wash's