Molasses suppliers

Sugar wash info and questions

Re: Molasses suppliers

Postby jim » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:10 pm

:text-thankyoublue:

I was just down there, I found out that if you buy 20kg of molassas, you get a free 30L fermenter with it! :dance: :dance: :dance:
jim

equipment: Modular 3" diameter VM/LM/pot still.

Postby Longknife » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:27 pm

i took a 25l bucket to mirco bros in neerabup up wannerroo rd way they filled it up for me. fermented no probs. Just finished running my 3rd gen of mcstills rum an i one happy boy. apparently i paid to much for it but hey, im wrapped with the results.
Longknife

equipment: Ss t500 reflux

Postby Kimbo » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:30 pm

jim wrote::text-thankyoublue:

I was just down there, I found out that if you buy 20kg of molassas, you get a free 30L fermenter with it! :dance: :dance: :dance:

How much is he charging now? its been a while since i've been there.
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby jim » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:58 pm

Kimbo wrote:
How much is he charging now? its been a while since i've been there.

I paid $40 for 20L. Just realised I had a 20L fermenter rather than a 30L which isnt as good. :crying-blue:

The place where I bought molassas before charged $2 per kg, which is a 40% higher price seeing that it weights about 1.4kg per L
jim

equipment: Modular 3" diameter VM/LM/pot still.

Postby googe » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:37 pm

Just got onto a Bundy sugar supplier in Melbourne, they have the 14kg drum molasses for $19 and the shop is about 2 mins drive from my front gate !!!! :dance: :-D .
googe

Postby googe » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:11 am

Went and got one thismorning, bloody hell it smells beautiful!!!. Forgot to give details 8-} . It's merchant Australia, 24 westgate drive Altona north. 0399316666.
googe

Postby crow » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:24 pm

you in Altona bud, hell ya only 45 min to an hr from us
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MacStill » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:38 pm

googe wrote: It's merchant Australia

Sounds like a website I heard of, does the molasses come in a rusty container ?

:text-lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby googe » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:46 pm

Yeah not far, as the crow flies ;-) , it's in a magnetic plastic drum actually Mac, great for sticking to the wall, easy access and all :))
googe

Postby wolbi74 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:19 pm

Hi Guys,

I bought some from
Brandon Molasses
7-19 Coulson Street
Erskineville, Sydney

Paid $ 31 for a 25 l pail.
not sure about the quality as i havent had a chance to check it out yet- been sitting in the backyard. the missus likes to drink rum but doesnt like the molasses smell.lol.

Good luck
wolbi74

equipment: Pot Still

Postby Divey » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:27 pm

Theirs is the stock feed molasses. I have used both stock feed and food grade and I would give the food grade a rating slightly above the stock feed. But, you can still make great rum with either. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Divey

equipment: 25 litre Alex Fractional/Pot Still.

Postby googe » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:41 am

Was talking to my best mate toinght and he was rabbling on about his cows and that he just brought an ibc of mollasses, i was listening :teasing-blah: :)) then a light bulb flicked on in my thick head!!. The amount of times we've talked about stilling and stuff and i never clicked about it, he's in childers qld and used to work for the issus sugar mill and can get 600l for $240, he got my full attention then :laughing-rolling: . He's gunna give his old boss a ring and see what other goodies he can get :happy-partydance: . Im keen to work out how much 600l would cost to get down here though.
googe

Postby Sam. » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:09 am

googe wrote:Was talking to my best mate toinght and he was rabbling on about his cows and that he just brought an ibc of mollasses, i was listening :teasing-blah: :)) then a light bulb flicked on in my thick head!!. The amount of times we've talked about stilling and stuff and i never clicked about it, he's in childers qld and used to work for the issus sugar mill and can get 600l for $240, he got my full attention then :laughing-rolling: . He's gunna give his old boss a ring and see what other goodies he can get :happy-partydance: . Im keen to work out how much 600l would cost to get down here though.

Sounds like you might need to go for a drive mate :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Cane Toad » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:36 am

Just get onto a local transport company,you're in Melbourne right? Plenty of interstaters running right past there mate,as long as your mate has a forklift to load the IBC his end,should only cost a couple of hundred to get it down there. They charge by the pallet space,so really no extra for a full IBC compared to a couple of 44's :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
If you have trouble finding a local,PM me and I'll give you a couple of phone numbers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby googe » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:57 am

Would love to sam if i had time to do it an a vehicle to do it in lol. Thanks Cupcake, wasnt aware of the pallet space charge, does weight affect price much?.Will give a few a buzz to get a price, get back to you if need be, thanks for that mate. Im waiting to hear back from him about other stuff or better stuff he might be able to get.
googe

Postby Cane Toad » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:06 pm

Na mate mainly pallet space,cost me no more to send 1000l than it did to send 400l over to Mac in WA :D and that was from North Qld
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Kimbo » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:11 pm

If you sell the IBC when your finished, you could recoup some of your transport cost :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby karrotbear » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:22 pm

I'd totally do the 600l thing hey. And just make a crap ton of rum!

Would that be a price for the public? or would I have to drop a name?
karrotbear

equipment: 2" VM Modular Column (some what awesomely made by me)
2" Pot Still (poorly made by me)

Postby googe » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:55 pm

Thanks cupcake :handgestures-thumbupleft: , thats a bloody good idea kimbo, thanks mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: . I really want to do something like this karot, I'm sick of getting ripped by local suppliers. Are you up in that area?, should be able the line something up for you, will have to have a chat to my mate.
googe

Postby Sam. » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:59 pm

googe wrote:Thanks cupcake :handgestures-thumbupleft: , thats a bloody good idea kimbo, thanks mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: . I really want to do something like this karot, I'm sick of getting ripped by local suppliers. Are you up in that area?, should be able the line something up for you, will have to have a chat to my mate.

You should do a group buy :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

PreviousNext

Return to Sugar wash's