Magic Oyster Shells

Sugar wash info and questions

Magic Oyster Shells

Postby Moonshyner » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:31 pm

After having two stalled sugar washes due to low PH, I did some reading here and there.

The remedy was to use calcium carbonate....in the form of oyster shells...or shell grit.

I prepared a standard sugar wash (dextrose) with the usual addition of nutrient (DAP) and a bit of out-of-date bakers yeast.

BUT....This time I added 2 oyster shells that I previously sterilized by steaming, steam baking at 250 deg C and steaming again just to be sure.
Drilled a small hole in each one and tied them together with a length of cotton thread.
Attached the other end of the cotton thread to a cork from a bottle of cheapo champers.
The thread was long enough so that the cork floated on the surface of the wash for easy retrieval. (The cork was not big enough to support the shells in suspension)
Next time I will try a cork sanding block so that the shells are suspended in the wash and not sitting on the bottom.

After 7 days I checked the SG and it was 0.990.

NO STALLING (I was happy)

Pulled out the shells and....see photo

They did their job.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Moonshyner

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
Pure Distilling Spirit Maker Reflux Still
AlcoEngine Pot Still

Re: Magic Oyster Shells

Postby Dunnonuthin » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:43 pm

Shells do work a treat. Self regulating the acid level, they hold the pH at about the sweet spot for a healthy ferment. Just one of those things that seems like it was meant to be.
I don’t know how sterile you can get cotton string and cork blocks? I used to use 20lb fishing line and pair of stainless hooks to hang the shells in suspension. I would string them up, boil the lot for 5minutes to sterilise, fish the shells out, hang them by the hooks on the lip in the fermenter and dissolve the sugar in the same hot water.
Now I boil and dump them into a big stainless hop spider hanging inside the fermenter. Saves drilling holes in lots of pipi shells and remaking “necklaces” as pipis get consumed within about 2 washes.
No one here eats oysters, and my shit mates that happily drink my booze, and love to smash a dozen, never keep the bloody shells. When my stock of pipi’s are all used up I will try some shell grit in the hop spider.
Enjoy!
Dunnonuthin

equipment: 50L boiler
2" Boka
4" Bubbler
10L Gin Pot

Postby Moonshyner » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:19 pm

I boil and steam the shells for about 30 mins and when dry i give them a scrub with a stiff brush to remove any bits that didn't boil off.

Before using I just give them all a spray with starsan (shells, cork & string).

I just got something that will do a similar job to a hop spider. It's a cheap little infuser off ebay. Claimed to be 304 S/S.

Cheers,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Moonshyner

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
Pure Distilling Spirit Maker Reflux Still
AlcoEngine Pot Still

Postby chipboy » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:23 pm

Or just pick them up off the beach after lots of sun! Bleached white is best.
chipboy

equipment: 50 litre keg, insulated and 4 plates at 4 inch. Home made mash tun.

Postby sammut1 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:59 pm

hi guys i use the net bags onions come in and the local BCF or fishing store sell plastic floats so boaties cant loose there keys i think u will get it. works great
sammut1

equipment: home made 50lt boiler and condenser trying to learn each day

Postby Chriss » Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:52 pm

Ah oyster shells.

No wonder there is barely any left on the beaches around SEQ, all us distillers collecting them :)

For the 2kg, we put em through the ozito silent shredder, repeat until small enough.
If your super keen a mortar and pestle for a fine powder. Pop it in ya tea I am sure its good for something that ales ya. Super keen aye.
Good for the clay soil as well, if its acidic. Good anyway to sprinkle some powder around the plants to keep the soil in check, increase the cell wall strength
Good for eggs, sprinkle some in the chook food and their egg shells come out tough and better than ever.
Excellent for tomatoes washes which had pH 2.8.
Chriss

equipment: T500 stainless steel condenser

Postby NFI » Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:23 am

I have done a couple of washes with cuttle fish - the main bonus is that they float. However I am still trying to find the best way to fully prep and sterilise them. Both 50L washes held pH perfectly well at a natural 5 to 6 pH. Mine were just collected at the beach.If you want more info on fully prep let me know. cheers
NFI
Site Donor

equipment: FSD Mac4 SSG, 500mm copper-packed Section
50L Milkcan twin element boiler

Postby Garrynolan**1 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:02 am

Dunnonuthin wrote:Shells do work a treat. Self regulating the acid level, they hold the pH at about the sweet spot for a healthy ferment. Just one of those things that seems like it was meant to be.
I don’t know how sterile you can get cotton string and cork blocks? I used to use 20lb fishing line and pair of stainless hooks to hang the shells in suspension. I would string them up, boil the lot for 5minutes to sterilise, fish the shells out, hang them by the hooks on the lip in the fermenter and dissolve the sugar in the same hot water.
Now I boil and dump them into a big stainless hop spider hanging inside the fermenter. Saves drilling holes in lots of pipi shells and remaking “necklaces” as pipis get consumed within about 2 washes.
No one here eats oysters, and my shit mates that happily drink my booze, and love to smash a dozen, never keep the bloody shells. When my stock of pipi’s are all used up I will try some shell grit in the hop spider.
Enjoy!

Pipi's are to small bro I use toheroa shells, plus they taste better :dance:
Garrynolan**1

equipment: T 500, keg with home made column, vapour and water management.

Return to Sugar wash's