TPW VS Weetbix my comparison

Sugar wash info and questions

TPW VS Weetbix my comparison

Postby Cafe » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:40 am

Just done my first weetbix wash at the same time as a TPW and compared them here are my thoughts re yeild, ease to do and taste.
First yeild, the TPW gives far more hearts, I have been chucking the first 150mls with TPW then collecting in small jars until the esters finish, I sniff the jars until the ester smell is gone which is usually less than 50 mls more. Then I collect till 2l and then I collect the last 2-300 mls in jars until the tails start which is always around the 300 ml mark ish. I always end up with at least 2200mls of 93%
Next up the Weetbix, I did the same, but it slowed right up at 2l and tails had already gone over yuck. Next time I was more careful and I collected only 1.4l after doing my head cuts and it was fine, I then used loads of jars and the tails came in over a longer period than the TPW, basically I could only get 1.5l after that I could detect tails. I wonder if it is something to do with the wheat??
Taste wise the weetbix is a little more neutral but a little thicker tasting too. Just personal but I think 3x distilled TPW is better than 2x weetbix and not sure unless I have done something wrong which I dont think I have then the weetbix seems a lot more effort.
I like my finished product like a grappa or vodka with no essence so I want it to taste nice on its own for me the 3x TPW wins here and ease to do also.
What are everyones thoughs which do you prefere?
Chris
Cafe

equipment: T500 Still

Re: TPW VS Weetbix my comparison

Postby bluc » Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:38 am

Was it same amount sugar in each? Did you pitch a healthy amount of yeast?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Wellsy » Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:33 pm

For me Wheatbix wins hands down. I run a pot still so get lots of flavour carry over from my washes.

WBAB makes a lovely vodka for me

Each to their own however as we all have different tastes
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby The Stig » Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:38 pm

I’m with Wellsy , not a fan to tomato soup
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Professor Green » Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:57 pm

Yep, WBAB for neutral for me too.

"Taste wise the weetbix is a little more neutral but a little thicker tasting too"

I believe that is what people refer to as mouthfeel.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Cafe » Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:09 pm

bluc wrote:Was it same amount sugar in each? Did you pitch a healthy amount of yeast?

Yes the same suger and plenty of yeast.
Weet bix was fine, but just a much earlier tails meaning yeald was much less.
Cafe
Cafe

Postby The Stig » Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:33 pm

But you’ll put your heads and tails into the next boiler charge , this will increase the yield from the subsequent runs
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:36 pm

It really depends what you are looking for cafe.

For me quality over quantity wins hands down every time. I do this to produce stuff I like, emphasis on what I like, not to produce heaps of stuff I hope to get used to.

Yield is not an issue for me mate
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby harold01 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:26 pm

Wellsy
Is keeping the yield an issue though
harold01
Site Donor

equipment: 4'' reflux

Postby Wellsy » Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:31 pm

It can be a very big issue Harold

I know I lost some corn to rats but it seems they are were using straws while I was away and my supplies seem less lol
Wellsy

Postby The Stig » Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:52 pm

My storage vessels seem to evaporate at an alarming rate , even when completely sealed and no way of dwindling other than … oh wait :obscene-drinkingdrunk: :obscene-drinkingdrunk: :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Cafe » Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:05 pm

The Stig wrote:But you’ll put your heads and tails into the next boiler charge , this will increase the yield from the subsequent runs

I have always just threw out the heads and tails. At the start I kept all the tails till I had enough to redistill, I put them through a few times and I could not get any decent hearts so I started tipping them away after that.
Cafe
Cafe

Postby Cafe » Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:14 pm

Wellsy wrote:It really depends what you are looking for cafe.

For me quality over quantity wins hands down every time. I do this to produce stuff I like, emphasis on what I like, not to produce heaps of stuff I hope to get used to.

Yield is not an issue for me mate

The TPW done two or three times is very like a decent Grappa, the Bix wash I thought was a bit more vodka but I was not so sfussed on the mouth feel. I have let it sit for a while now maybe I will try it again and see if it has improved.
Interesting fact, I was chatting with a friend about the TPW being similar to Grappa, he pointed out that Grappa is made from grape skins and stalks and both totatoes and grapes are membes of the Nightshade family so he said it is not surprising that they will be similar, I never made the connection although I realised they were the same family.
Cafe
Cafe

Return to Sugar wash's