TPW - Failed to Start Ferment

Sugar wash info and questions

TPW - Failed to Start Ferment

Postby grehund » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:19 pm

Hi All,

So I recently bought a second 30L fermenter from the local HBS. I have made 2 attempts at a TPW in this fermenter and BOTH times the ferment has never started. I have another 30L fermenter here, which I started the exact same TPW recipe in at the same time with the same ingredients and it started no problems. I've NEVER had an issue with a ferment until now.

I've tried adding some more yeast, I've tried letting the temp drop below 28 C, I've tried raising the temp to 32 C. It will not start. I can't work out what is so different about this fermenter.

Any ideas?
grehund

equipment: 4-plate 4" Bubble Cap
50L Keg Boiler, 2x 2.2kW Elements (1x Voltage Controller)
STC-1000 Temp Controlled Fermentation Fridge

Re: TPW - Failed to Start Ferment

Postby googe » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:29 pm

Have you cleaned the new one the same way as the old one?. Must be something on the plastic stopping the yeast, chlorine?, oil?. DO you sanitize the fermenter?. Hope you fix the problem mate.
googe

Postby grehund » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:40 pm

Yes, I have always used the same method to clean my fermenters. A weak bleach solution, 4ml per L of water, as suggested by John Palmer in "How to Brew".

I thought maybe the plastic wall of this fermenter was thicker than my other one, throwing off the thermometer (sticker) on the outside. Maybe the actual water temp was hotter than the 30 C I thought I was originally pitching at. I don't get it. :angry-banghead:
grehund

Postby grumpthehermit » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:22 pm

Hey Grehund,

When you say it's not starting, how long are you giving it to get going?

Do you use an airlock? Are you basing the fact that it's not fermenting on the fact that the airlock is not bubbling or is there just definitely no action inside the fermenter within 12/24hrs?

Cheers
GTH
Last edited by grumpthehermit on Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grumpthehermit

Postby crow » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:27 pm

Or.... are you sure its not fermenting as if the seal is not fully sealing it may just be giving you the impression that is not fermenting . Did you check the finished gravity may be not probs , personaly I don't rely on those temp stickers for anymore than a guide and always double check with a thermometer
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby QLD.Andy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:42 pm

croweater wrote: if the seal is not fully sealing

Ive done that, a quick twist of the lid and a jiggle of the airlock and it started bubbling.
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby grehund » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:57 pm

Hi guys,

The first time, I realized I hadn't tightened the lid after a couple of hours, so then I fixed it, still no airlock bubbles for a week. The second time, I made sure it was tight & the seal around the airlock is good too. If you push down on the top of the fermenter, the airlock bubbles, so there doesn't appear to be a leak. It has been 24 hours since I started the second ferment, I haven't seen any bubbles.

I've never had a ferment that doesn't at least do some bubbling in the airlock.

I've taken the lid off to inspect it; The surface of the wash is "fizzing", it smells like wine, it's holding a temp of 28 C with a Doona around it.

Should I leave it?
grehund

Postby Frank » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:05 pm

@Andy, I reckon pretty well ALL of us have done that. :laughing-rolling: so....
@Grehund, if you have, as stated, done EXACTLY the same thing with the same ingredients (including shared TP and yeast?) and the temps are the same (plz check with ONE thermometer) and the other TPW 'works'..... :think:
then the problem is with the fermenter...and as you are sure the fermenter is clean (including grommets?) then its most likely not airlocked in a similar manner to the ok one...else I am most interested in what you find, for sure.
Dont throw the wash out if it aint smelly/bad btw ;-)
Last edited by Frank on Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank

Postby grumpthehermit » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:09 pm

If it's fizzing ...

it's all systems go !!! It is fermenting, you should be able to hear it if you put your ear up the the side of the fermenter.

:D

Might be a dodgy lid seal.

If you squeeze the fermenters sides and get a bubble out of the air lock then let it go it should hold that negative pressure it it's a well sealed tub and nothing is fermenting. if the water level in the airlock equalises then it's not 100% airtight.

I'd say your all good, maybe just have a good look at the airlock and lid seal after the wash is done.

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby Frank » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:16 pm

Hey Grehund, it'll be the grommet/seal in the lid being swollen or undersized I reckon (perhaps the lid was tightened with the rubber too dry?). Either way, if you apply downward pressure on the lid and the airlock bubbles away...then get another lid seal when you can... and keep the lid as tight as reasonably possible (maybe even add a suitable weight for now) whilst the wash ferments. :handgestures-thumbupleft: glad to hear its ok btw
Frank

Postby bt1 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:25 pm

Guys,

Here's a geniune old school trick my dad proved to me many years back.

Take the air lock out for a sec grab a ciggy lighter or match...move over the airlock hole if the flame dies it's pushing out CO2=fermenting.

Use the same method to fine where seal is leaking which is what i suspect here.

I don't use air locks and use this method...ps be ware that wash will push some CO2 for a good day after active fermenting has finished but it's flame flicker not out.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby googe » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:33 pm

Ive never used a airlock, eyes and hydromter work. Like grumpthehurmet said, if its fizzing its ok, probably not working to the best abillity though. Could be ingredience, not every grain of sugar or yeast is the same. I had a brew once that just did nothing at all, was like cordial.
googe

Postby MR-E » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:37 pm

You can use cling wrap on the fermenter, gives a good view of the activity.
Use elastic or similar too hold the cling wrap in place.

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MR-E

equipment: Cooking on gas,50ltr keg, 3"Bok &
4" column with 6 perf plates

Postby crow » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:13 pm

As bt said it produces CO2 that will it self keep germs out so no real biggy I got one here that never seals and never bubbles still works just fine as a fermenter not hard to tell when its fin.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby zwagerman9 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:08 pm

Check your gravity!
zwagerman9

equipment: Airstill....
2" POT STILL!
2" Dual Slant Plate Bok

Postby R-sole » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:27 am

zwagerman9 wrote:Check your gravity!

This.

Forget about the airlock, forget about trying to seal it. It's a waste of energy.

It's fermenting, use experience and a hydrometer to see when it's finnished.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby cdbrown » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:05 pm

grehund wrote:I've taken the lid off to inspect it; The surface of the wash is "fizzing", it smells like wine, it's holding a temp of 28 C with a Doona around it.

Should I leave it?

Fizzing is an indication of ferment. I haven't used a lid and airlock for the past 4 years - just gladwrap and the rubber seal from inside the lid to hold it in place. Then I can see what's going on in there. I was worried for the first wash because I couldn't see any foam on top which happens for fermenting beer, but the sound of bubbles like you've just poured a cooldrink helped get rid of the fears.
cdbrown

equipment: 50L keg with McStill pot head, 3-ring burner on MP adj reg (upgrading to italian spiral)
McStill Copper Parrot
3v 50L brew rig with HERMS for 42L homebrew batches

Postby ItsUsAgain » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:24 am

OK boys.

First up many thanks for the advice, tips and help shared on these pages - much appreciated.

I was reading this thread because I kicked off a 25L TPW on Sat. And got nada. Nothing through the airlock at all. Tried adjusting the airlock, noticed the gromit wasn't super tight, so fiddled with this, but still getting nothing. Opened her up and saw that there was a decent fizz going on so wrote it off and thought I'd leave it until I had more time to ditch it and clean the kit out. Read this thread and thought 'stuff it, I'll just let her run a few weeks'.

To my delight, when I went into the cave last night (that would be day 5), the airlock was bubbling away like Eddie Maguire at a Grand Final! So, I'll let her rip and see what comes out in 3 weeks.

Guess there's something to be said for patience (intentional or otherwise)
ItsUsAgain

equipment: Turbo Air Still

Postby Professor Green » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:47 pm

Welcome to AD ItsUsAgain.

Pop into the Welcome Centre and introduce yourself. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

One thing this hobby needs is patience.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:12 pm

I would try starting a brew in the good fermenter,then transfer it to the other and see what happens.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Next

Return to Sugar wash's