UJSM - good American Whiskey?

Sugar wash info and questions

Re: UJSM - good American Whiskey?

Postby crow » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:05 am

by Dnderhead » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:03 am

if you want "authentic" sugar head .then fiend a wooden tub like that was used for water and holds about 300gal.throw in about 2-300lb of grain ,does not matter what.
add 300 lb of sugar. one large chunk of horse meat,or if you dont have that use a woodchuck/scraps from your last butchering etc..top with warm water and gallon of horse pee .hopefully in about a week it will be fermented (no yeast).now draw this off and run it threw your still witch was probably made from a fuel tank..
the meat(amino acids) and pee (nitrogen)was necessary nutrients when using sugar.
there was different methods/recipes but this is typical.you did not run down to the "brew store" nor the "farm" store there was no such thing.

been there....
Dnderhead
Master Distiller

Real sure ya want a traditional prohibition era moonshine :puke-huge:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:23 am

WineGlass wrote:only if you did it outdoors
Dont forget to face it to the goat standing in the paddock :))
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Nardy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:08 pm

Well, 4th gen has been stripped and added to the other 3 stripped runs, now all 4 are in the boiler going through the first spirit run.

I've already caught about 3.5L, and it's at about 85% now. The first few cuts after foreshots had me doubting this recipe - they all had a strange aroma to them and not the best taste, but the stuff that's coming out now is bloody beautiful. So I'm guessing I was tasting heads before and I'm into the hearts now.
Nardy

Postby MacStill » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:13 pm

Sounds about right mate, UJ heads can smell a bit funky but the hearts will be good going by what you've done :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Nardy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:18 pm

Cheers mcstill.

I know it depends on the cuts, but what sort of hearts volume do you think I should expect from this ~40L @40%?
Nardy

Postby MacStill » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:30 pm

It's hard to say mate, a lot depends on your still & how you run it...

in my bubbler I could say around 70 to 75% or better, in a pot I'd say 50 to 60% is more realistic
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Nardy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:29 pm

Just running the next batch now. Its been in the fermenters for weeks now so its mighty clear.

Also mashed in an American wheat beer and after that made up a batch of apple pie with some hearts from the last UJSM.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Nardy

Postby tickle » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:22 pm

Nardy wrote:Just running the next batch now. Its been in the fermenters for weeks now so its mighty clear.

Also mashed in an American wheat beer and after that made up a batch of apple pie with some hearts from the last UJSM.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Ive had great results adding barley and wheat ala Mac's Bourbon. Good stuff. Think about trying DWWG in the future, another classic.
tickle

equipment: 4" 4 plated bubble cap,

Postby Merlot » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:32 pm

Hello everyone, I haven't posted for ages but I just ran my first strip of UJ today, "a sweet run" and WOW! I couldnt believe how much like bourbon this tastes. I took a little taste around 500ml into the run, the smell of the foreshots didn't promise anything like the flavour I got. I used the backset to start next gen and started two more first gens with it too. I'm excited about this. I'm thinking this will be the recipe I concentrate on for a while now.

I've been making rum and one thing I noticed was the distinct smell of heads hearts and tails with UJ. Much easier to pick than from a rum wash for me. The tails were stinky.

Cheers
Merlot
Merlot

equipment: Still spirits air still....
2 in McStill pot on a 25L SS boiler

Previous

Return to Sugar wash's