Different Types of Molasses

Sugar wash info and questions

Re: Different Types of Molasses

Postby SBB » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:09 pm

John Power wrote:I do not know about treacle.

Thats a shame cause i was going to ask about Treacle, Do you know if its still made in Australian Mills?? I haven't really looked but don't remember seeing it on supermarket shelves in ages.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby John Power » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:55 am

I have been through two of the four refineries and they did not make treacle, can not help with this sorry
John Power

equipment: 25 litre stainless steel boiler with reflux still

Postby hubs » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:43 pm

From what I have read, Treacle is a word that the english gave Molasses. Probably because it sounded fancier.
hubs

Postby crow » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:18 pm

hubs wrote:From what I have read, Treacle is a word that the english gave Molasses. Probably because it sounded fancier.

no don't think so I got treacle here and it don't taste, smell, or look like molasses :-B
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby SBB » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:27 pm

Its not molasses, from what Ive heard its a product taken somewhere between molasses and golden syrup, or to put it in distilling terms,its the cut between molasses and golden syrup.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby hubs » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:19 am

Google search;
Treacle is any uncrystallized syrup made during the refining of sugar. Treacle is used both in cooking as a sweetener and as a condiment.
The most common forms of treacle are the pale syrup known as golden syrup and the darker syrup usually referred to as dark or black treacle. Dark treacle has a distinctively strong, slightly bitter flavor, and a richer color than golden syrup, yet not as dark as molasses. Golden syrup is the main sweetener in treacle tart.

There you go and Oxford Dictionary says `England know Molasses as Treacle and America know Treacle as Molasses`.
Depending on who you talk to, determines the meaning of each and every subject being spoken about.
hubs

Postby hubs » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:22 am

crow wrote:
hubs wrote:From what I have read, Treacle is a word that the english gave Molasses. Probably because it sounded fancier.

no don't think so I got treacle here and it don't taste, smell, or look like molasses :-B

Apparently there are different strengths (if you like) of Treacle. By the sounds of it, it depends on how far down the production line it has been processed before it gets to Golden Syrup I`m guessing. :think:
hubs

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:31 am

G'day Hubs,thanks for your input :handgestures-thumbupleft: How's about you slip across to the welcome centre and introduce yourself :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers
CC
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby hubs » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:46 am

I`ll do that CC. ;-)
hubs

Postby SBB » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:32 pm

hubs wrote:The most common forms of treacle are the pale syrup known as golden syrup and the darker syrup usually referred to as dark or black treacle.

I looked on a supermarket shelf today and yes they did have CSR Treacle, right next to the CSR golden syrup.
But saying golden syrup is a form of Treacle is a bit like saying Bacardi is a bit like Mcstill Rum.............maybe its related ...........but very very faintly.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby googe » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:41 pm

TREACLE is a viscous dark brown to black liquid that has a stronger flavour and aroma than golden syrup. It is produced from a partially hydrolysed sugar syrup. Treacle's colour and flavour make it suitable for baking applications and for the production of certain confectionery items.
googe

Postby hubs » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:21 pm

SBB wrote:
hubs wrote:The most common forms of treacle are the pale syrup known as golden syrup and the darker syrup usually referred to as dark or black treacle.

I looked on a supermarket shelf today and yes they did have CSR Treacle, right next to the CSR golden syrup.
But saying golden syrup is a form of Treacle is a bit like saying Bacardi is a bit like Mcstill Rum.............maybe its related ...........but very very faintly.

Bit like the old saying `Same dog, different leg`.
hubs

Postby hubs » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:25 am

googe wrote:TREACLE is a viscous dark brown to black liquid that has a stronger flavour and aroma than golden syrup. It is produced from a partially hydrolysed sugar syrup. Treacle's colour and flavour make it suitable for baking applications and for the production of certain confectionery items.

I made a Rum with Treacle and Raw Sugar for some thing different to the norm. I`ll let you know what it`s like when aged for a while.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:25 am.
hubs

Previous

Return to Sugar wash's