Ingredients for a large TPW wash?

Sugar wash info and questions

Postby BackyardBrewer » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:51 pm

My 200L was an ex gherkin barrel. Super strong food grade and it was $20 from Paramount Browns in SA.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Re: Ingredients for a large TPW wash?

Postby 1 2many » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:58 pm

Blue 220 Ltr with screw lid and seal $18 craigieburn vic ex olive gunna get me 1 of them :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Distillnation » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:00 pm

Wow, there are some pretty damn cheap containers on there!

All I need to do now is wait for a local one to pop up. I might see if some of the bulk suppliers here have anything like it. Can't hurt to ask.
Distillnation

equipment: L.M Frankenstill + 50L (weldless) electric boiler

Postby Valoren » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:13 pm

Paramount browns is excellent for pretty much ANYTHING you need, they also have oak barrels there cheap as piss that have been used, mind you the ones I sniffed smelled vinegary but it has tons of containers suitable for use as huge fermenters
Valoren

equipment: copper still head, reflux, 50 l stainless keg boiler, 2200 watt element.

Postby Valoren » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:17 pm

Do any SA expats in NSW know of any business like paramount browns here in NSW Sydney area?
Valoren

equipment: copper still head, reflux, 50 l stainless keg boiler, 2200 watt element.

Postby 1 2many » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:13 pm

Valoren wrote:Hey guys, I managed to get my hands on three 220L plastic stock feed containers that I've turned into fermenters, Just wondering if anyone can give me the rough amount of ingredients for a 180 L wash, I've looked at the bird watchers TPW calculator but I have no idea if they want dried or fresh yeast.

Any help would be appreciated!

Hi Valoren Did you figure out the final wash ingredients list ? for your 180 wash .I am looking at he same idea now. I Know every one says stick to the tried and tested ,but in larger volumes as oposed to 25 ltr washes i am not so sure. Just getting back on topic.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Valoren » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:24 pm

1 2many wrote:
Valoren wrote:Hey guys, I managed to get my hands on three 220L plastic stock feed containers that I've turned into fermenters, Just wondering if anyone can give me the rough amount of ingredients for a 180 L wash, I've looked at the bird watchers TPW calculator but I have no idea if they want dried or fresh yeast.

Any help would be appreciated!

Hi Valoren Did you figure out the final wash ingredients list ? for your 180 wash .I am looking at he same idea now. I Know every one says stick to the tried and tested ,but in larger volumes as oposed to 25 ltr washes i am not so sure. Just getting back on topic.

When I was living in SA I had three 200 L containers as fermenters stagered out so that the when the first drum was run through the still the second was ready and so on.
I relied on Still spirits heat wave yeast at the time as it was the only turbo that could handle the temperatures generated. I haven't quite worked out the final ingredients but im guessing the TPW calculator wants fresh yeast as opposed to dried, I would guess one full can of lowans would be enough if it had enough Tomato paste for nutrients. a good spoon ful of epsom salts helps, the stuff is cheap enough so it's not going to hurt it. I've only just jumped off the turbo bandwagon and I'm yet to put that 180 wash on as I'm yet to get permission from my land owner (He's a control freak)

I once tried a ferment in a 1000 L bulk liquids container but the ferment got so hot the yeast committed suicide, bakers yeast is pretty tolerant of temperatures compared to turbos so I doubt you'll have too much of a problem with 180 L If you're going to produce large quantities of spirit a few large fermenters can take up a lot less room than a dozen or so 30 L ones
Valoren

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:39 pm

Ask Sam, he's just done a 175L TPW...
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Sam. » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:52 pm

Got one going now with reduced ingredients will let you know how it goes but it has cooled offed here now.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby 1 2many » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:29 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Got one going now with reduced ingredients will let you know how it goes but it has cooled offed here now.

are you heating it at all ? ambient temp is to cool to run a TPW effectivley isn't it.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby Valoren » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:02 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Got one going now with reduced ingredients will let you know how it goes but it has cooled offed here now.
what ingredients did you use mate? could you post the rough recipe for me?
Valoren

Postby Sam. » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:16 pm

1 2many wrote:

are you heating it at all ? ambient temp is to cool to run a TPW effectivley isn't it.

No heat, it is outside and I don't want to run an extension cord to it with a heater.

It will still ferment it will take longer :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If it gets too cold the yeast will stop all together but if you heat it back up and stir is should fire again.

It is sitting about 22 degrees so it would definitely be on the low side but I can still hear it bubbling and its down to 1.020 after 5 days.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby Sam. » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:20 pm

Valoren wrote:

175L

35kg white sugar
3 jars of Leggo tomato paste @ 375g each (1.125 kg in total)
280 g Lowans yeast (one full can)

hopefully it makes it to 990 FG.

Hope there is enough Tomato Paste for nutrient, reckon the pitch rate is on the low side for the yeast but would be nice if one can works well as it is easier than opening another can. I'm so lazy :D
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Valoren » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:00 pm

I wouldn't mind risking two tins, thats only ten bucks in yeast.
Valoren

Postby 1 2many » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:13 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:
Valoren wrote:

175L

35kg white sugar
3 jars of Leggo tomato paste @ 375g each (1.125 kg in total)
280 g Lowans yeast (one full can)

hopefully it makes it to 990 FG.

Hope there is enough Tomato Paste for nutrient, reckon the pitch rate is on the low side for the yeast but would be nice if one can works well as it is easier than opening another can. I'm so lazy :D

Cool , what was the starting s.g ,i know you never use citric acid or epson salts in you wash but with such a big volume i think i would do it .did you measure PH or mixed up as per normal. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby Sam. » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:40 pm

Dont have anything to measure PH with.

Forgot to take the SG reading on this one :violence-smack:

The last one with the same amount of sugar was 1.090 from memory :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby MacStill » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:22 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:
:violence-smack:

Reckon you got a new favourite emo :))
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby 1 2many » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:30 pm

I suppose that when you have done a fair few washes and your happy with the results you would tend not to bother with the hydro meter as you get close to the same results most of the time. but a bigger wash i would check ,have you put down a big wash before? :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby 1 2many » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:32 pm

MacStill wrote:
sam_and_liv wrote:
:violence-smack:

Reckon you got a new favourite emo :))

Yeh Mac :violence-smack: :violence-smack: :obscene-birdiedoublered:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby Sam. » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:19 pm

1 2many wrote:I suppose that when you have done a fair few washes and your happy with the results you would tend not to bother with the hydro meter as you get close to the same results most of the time. but a bigger wash i would check ,have you put down a big wash before? :handgestures-thumbupleft:

This one is only my second wash over 50L.

The first one I just upscaled the normal TPW recipe minus the citric acid, that week was nice and warm so it was all done and down to 990 in a week :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

PreviousNext

Return to Sugar wash's