Ingredients for a large TPW wash?

Sugar wash info and questions

Re: Ingredients for a large TPW wash?

Postby the Doctor » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:59 am

We regularly make 1000 liter TPW which is a quarter tonne of sugar.. I have never had a stuck mash so will let you know some of my methods. I always use Fermaid and go ferm (available from winequip Melbourne) but if you guys start using it I suggest we organise a bulk buy as it is not available in less tha about 1 kg. These are really premium wine yeast nutrients and dried spent yeast hulls. Also, and I know that everyone has their favourites I use QV 43 lallemand yeast... Man this yeast is so clean and fast that I dropped a spoonful in the bathtub when my wife Lyn was bathing and when I came back she was 47% ABV. This stuff would ferment the dog if you fed it some. It is an agressive, clean and complete fermenter. But it leaves no bad smells and makes the sweetest vodka... I rate it higher than EC 118 prise de mouse as the best neutral yeast there is. also can be bought at winequip. in 500 gram blocks but if you are doing large TPW's that is about the size to buy it otherwise a group buy would be the go.
To aerate a large volume aquariom diaphragm pump connected to two 900mm aircurtains and 4 stainless steel aeration heads (craftbrewer) 2 at .5 micron and 2 at 2 micron. we aerate for 1 1/2 hours.
to dissolve the sugar we do it in as little water as possible at 70 degrees out of the tap. using a large paddle as a stirrer. It takes about 500 litres to disolve 250 kg sugar...then we water down to 100litres with cold water...all the water is rain water, untreated. we aim to pitch at 35 degrees C. having re hydrated at this temp. The ferment will take no less than 3 weeks, I always allow 4 weeks. we ferment in a hot room kept at a constant 20 degrees.
Whiloe we also make a grain vodka. There is little doubt that the TPW has a place when doing lighter styles, and especially for making tincture based flavoured vodkas and bitters. Our Rose Petal vodka is simply awful when based on grain and yet is light and very delicate when using TPW. For extracting delicate botanicals for a more fragrant bitter such as the one in this latest issue of the MD magazine definately use TPW. It is clean and does not muck with the flavours. Take care.
Doc

reference:
Sources for the things I use to make these spirits are
Distilling equipment - 5 Star
Yeast and Yeast nutrients - Lallemand via winequip Melbourne
Herbs and botanicals - Austral herbs (online) kentucky NSW
You can also buy DAP very cheaply from agricultural suppliers such as Elders and Grays ag as it is used as a fertilizer.
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby 1 2many » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:50 pm

Great write up Doc i am going to try the air stone method , but i need to get new stainless steel air stones the last ones i uses was when i was making biodiesel . :-B
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby vqstatesman » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:16 pm

Valoren wrote:Paramount browns is excellent for pretty much ANYTHING you need, they also have oak barrels there cheap as piss that have been used, mind you the ones I sniffed smelled vinegary but it has tons of containers suitable for use as huge fermenters

Has anyone purchased one of these barrels?
vqstatesman

equipment: 4" Bubbler
150L Pressurised Bain Marie with built in agitator
50L Milk Can Boiler for small runs (feints)
T500 boiler repurposed as oversized decanter
Grainfather in the corner collecting dust

Postby Undies » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:50 pm

SBB wrote:The wash calculator says you need 154.98L of water.......that is if you use the 40.5 KG of sugar thats been mentioned above.
Only problem is that according to the same calculator that's going to give you a wash of 13.2%......which is a bit high.
Best ya fiddle around with it yourself ~~~~~~~> http://homedistiller.org/calcs/rad14701
Dunno how accurate this thing is.
Have fun measuring out 154.98L of water :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

At the end of the calculator it states "As a helpful hint, don't add all the sugar, this is just the most you'll need to get the SG right."

By this, your theoretical maximum could be 13.2%, but you have to add sugar only until your desired SG is reached. The calculator helps you when you go shopping so you can buy enough sugar in the first place.
Undies

equipment: Reflux still

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:56 pm

Interesting first post :-B

Please pop into the welcome centre and introduce yourself, Undies :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Previous

Return to Sugar wash's