The turbos are done

Sugar wash info and questions

The turbos are done

Postby onmeth » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:54 pm

Just finished distilling the last turbo wash . I also laid down my first tpw x2 tonight as per tried and proved recipe of Mac still's. I beleive the hydro for both washs where 1.75. :D :D :D
Iam excited to see the difference , LHBS not happy with no turbo purchase today and claims that TPW is a waste of time and does not work. Well iam about to find out first hand wish me luck people. :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
onmeth

equipment: Would love a big ass pot still.....

Re: The turbos are done

Postby emptyglass » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:20 pm

Good to see the LHBS is reading the interweb.

That avitar is freaky dude.

EDIT; spelling. intreweb?
emptyglass

Postby blond.chap » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:24 pm

That's a crack up, I'd like to know whether that hbs dude has ever friends a tpw
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby MacStill » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:52 pm

Take your HBS dude a sample of TPW & Turbo vodka, blind taste test, ask him which one needs vodka essence :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Gas on » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:33 am

Fuck it just tell hbs dude to stick everything he sells to do with stilling where the sun doesnt shine :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Gas on

equipment: baked beans & rum

arfa 5 star bubbler

Postby onmeth » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:59 am

I would have liked to tell him to pissoff :violence-smack: . He was my best mate till i told him no more turbos he told me iam going down the wrong path so i guess a week or so from now ill be the judge of that. I hope it turns out ok. :text-thankyoublue: Thanx to everyone for there help sofar its been very valuable.
onmeth

Postby SX170 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:27 am

Well I guess your hbs bloke is a bit nervous about losing sales.
In my case, my hbs bloke is a good mate of mine and when I told him I have just put 2 TPW washes in he is keen to try the finished product and said he will try it if it comes out ok.
He did say he makes good profit from all the turbo stuff but knows there are people out there who want to try different processes. Pretty open minded bloke though.
SX170

equipment: Home built bubbler.

Postby Distillnation » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:32 am

Not only will it turn out okay, you'll make a better product than any turbo could ever dream of making.

I recently converted a couple of guys over to TPW. Was talking to one of them last night about his last run and he was saying about how much cheaper it is now he doesn't need to buy the turbo, filter, etc for his spirit. All he does is wait a couple days longer, and he reaps the rewards.

Good luck mate, you'll show that lhbs who's right!
Distillnation

equipment: L.M Frankenstill + 50L (weldless) electric boiler

Postby onmeth » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I look forward to it.....
onmeth

Postby rb20Siliva69 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:47 pm

I've done the same thing, except I have ran tpw and a turbo side by side. Will most like do the turbo first and then run the tpw on the same night. Once that are fermented of course.
Good luck.
rb20Siliva69

Postby blond.chap » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:05 pm

rb20Siliva69 wrote:I've done the same thing, except I have ran tpw and a turbo side by side. Will most like do the turbo first and then run the tpw on the same night. Once that are fermented of course.
Good luck.

Can I suggest that you run the TPW through first, otherwise you're turbo may contaminate it.

Good experiment btw
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

The turbos are done

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:36 pm

Mate I feel for the HBS guys, they make fuck all and they have to carry a big range and rely on a huge markup of shit like turbos & essence.

But what I hate is they won't bloody learn! Our workplace has a saying about continuous improvement and life-long learning.

These guys set up shop in 1982 and they think "well...that's it. I know everything there is to learn and I have all the knowledge there is."

That is bullshit. Any HBS guy who had never taken the trouble to throw down a $6 TPW to see why that beats a $22 turbo with all the additives is NOT worth their salt.

Imagine how many stills they could sell if they set newbies up with a way to do cheap runs with molasses & TPW & weetbix...
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby emptyglass » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:56 pm

Yeah, but they sell great vodka flavoring essence.

Your right BB, if they included a sack of corn, a pail of mollasses and some tomato paste with each still, they'd do ok.

I think the hobby is past a few young guys fermenting turbo rapid in the morning, distilling in the arvo and drinking at night.
But they would also need some turbo clear :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Next week go upmarket with a carbon filter. 8-)
emptyglass

Postby onmeth » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:46 pm

Can anyone help do I stur a TPW at all? Thanx in advance. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
onmeth

The turbos are done

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:50 pm

onmeth wrote:Can anyone help do I stur a TPW at all? Thanx in advance. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Only if its stalled. I would not. Have you got a heat belt or heat pad to keep the temp up a round 30°
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby onmeth » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:52 pm

No mate sitting at 28 with covers. Qld weather pretty good at the moment.
onmeth

Postby MacStill » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:00 pm

you can say that again :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

The turbos are done

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:03 pm

onmeth wrote:No mate sitting at 28 with covers. Qld weather pretty good at the moment.

Then don't stir. Take a hydro measure and when you got .99 or there abouts then you let her clear for a day or two. Or not. If you're in a hurry it's a very VERY forgiving wash.

Once activity stops then run it when you're ready. Longer it sits and clears the better but a freshly finished wash will still give up the neutral.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby Sam. » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:30 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:Mate I feel for the HBS guys, they make fuck all and they have to carry a big range and rely on a huge markup of shit like turbos & essence.

But what I hate is they won't bloody learn! Our workplace has a saying about continuous improvement and life-long learning.

These guys set up shop in 1982 and they think "well...that's it. I know everything there is to learn and I have all the knowledge there is."

That is bullshit. Any HBS guy who had never taken the trouble to throw down a $6 TPW to see why that beats a $22 turbo with all the additives is NOT worth their salt.

Imagine how many stills they could sell if they set newbies up with a way to do cheap runs with molasses & TPW & weetbix...

The above is true for the independent brew shops (few and far in between)

As for the majority, mainly BrewShaft, the guys that work there don't give a fuck about the business or the profit they get paid an hourly rate and thats it :handgestures-thumbdown:

I don't even bother talking to them at Brewcraft any more, and the only reason I go in is because I need something badly and it's on the way home. I would rather go to an independent like Bill at Holden Hill or Amanda at Beer Belly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Kimbo » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:39 pm

MacStill wrote:Take your HBS dude a sample of TPW & Turbo vodka, blind taste test, ask him which one needs vodka essence :laughing-rolling:

Absolutely mate, don't filter either of them( you don't need to with a tpw anyway) and tell him to sample them ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Next

Return to Sugar wash's