Odd run, No tails!

Sugar wash info and questions

Odd run, No tails!

Postby kelbygreen » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:18 pm

Hey I just done a rum spirit run and it is very odd. I ran it till I ran out of bottles, like 10 bottles past where tails usually sets in and has been that way pretty close every run. But this time I cant smell tails at all, I can kinda taste it alittle in the last bottles but nothing distinct. I know its not aired but usually there is a distinct change in smell and taste even fresh.

I also picked up a bottle prob 4+lts into the run which is usually well into my hearts and it smells fine but seems to have a bite of the heads. Could be the odd bottle out (or coz its fresh off the still) as I didnt try any others just picked it to see whats gone on.

Any one came across this? I prob had a extra 2lts of low wines in the boiler but other then that it was all normal. I did get some mollasses from a different place as it was a sunday and I had to get a batch down. It smelt, tasted better then the normal stuff and it was alot thicker in constancy. Could this be why? I cant see it changing the run to that extent as last spirit had 60lts of wash from that batch and this one only 30lts and it was fine :shock:

I dunno maybe tomorrow it will be different but I have never came across a rum run with no distinct tails smell. I cant see there being more then 4lts of heads in a 25lt charge? I ran it to 60% when I stopped collecting in bottles so it well should of been in tails.
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Re: Odd run, No tails!

Postby Yummyrum » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:25 pm

Fuck knows Kelby but if it is the new Molasses,I'd be stockpiling it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby kelbygreen » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:35 pm

haha yeah at $25 for 15lts though.

I guess prob jumped the gun a bit but I usually pretty close at picking the head and tails jars just by the smell threw the run. I smelt where I thought heads was fading and it was close to normal run. But the tails?? where are you!! haha even the pot I collected down to 40% I could smell it but it was barely there. Maybe my nose has gone from the farts I was doing on friday :laughing-rolling:
kelbygreen

Postby Kimbo » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:45 pm

Yeah let it air and have another look tomorrow KG :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby crow » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:44 pm

If you only ran it down to 60% with a pot you likely as threw half your rum and all your tails away. I use to go down to 20% with my pot and it was "wetdog" as ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby r.c.barstud » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:00 pm

this happens to me quite a lot, im not real sure why it happens, it just does :-D on the weekend, i had both the still and thumper boiling and the tails were nowhere in sight, i was still at 40%ABV at 99C, i just shut it down, same deal, no bottles left :))
r.c.barstud

equipment: Gas fired 50 litre pot still (common head) and 18 litre thumper.

Postby kelbygreen » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:46 pm

I run it into a SS pot when bottles are done, I got to 40% till I had to go cook dinner so turned it off then.

I just cut it and there is tails taste in there but the smell is not. Also the tails taste is more tasting like it was burnt. I prob still last 60lts early as I literally had nothing to drink so it wasnt cleared so maybe that was the yeast or something. I got prob a extra lt or 2 then normal but the burnt is slightly there threw most of the run, it is barely noticeable but its not normal.

I think there could of been a combination of things that went wrong it is still a heap better then bundy and the burnt may be great when its aged :pray: but doubt it. I noticed my column has a bit of build up on it so that could also be a reason. Looks like I got a bit of cleaning to do before the next run.
kelbygreen

Postby Jed » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:16 pm

The molasses wasn't described as m8u or have a funny smell like ammonia when mixed with water. I am not sure what effect it would have other than providing a LOT more nutrients for yeast. DAP has aacomponent of nitrogen which is the 8u bit.
Jed

equipment: None yet vm lm nearly completed.

Postby woodduck » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:52 pm

crow wrote:If you only ran it down to 60% with a pot you likely as threw half your rum and all your tails away. I use to go down to 20% with my pot and it was "wetdog" as ;-)

:text-+1:
With my pot and thumper the tails don't usually come through till as low as 25 abv
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Return to Sugar wash's