TPW strip run yield?

Sugar wash info and questions

TPW strip run yield?

Postby bac206 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:59 pm

Hi all. Ran my first TPW the other day through my new self made pot. Stripped out 12.5L before it got to 25% and had slowed right down. How much should I roughly expect out of a TPW strip? If it helps I used 2 fermenters at:-
200g tomato paste
6kg sugar
1/4 citric acid
Pinch Epsom salts
Water to 23L
SG started at 1.09. Finished at 1.0
That's first time ever running a pot after making the jump from HBS turbo, single reflux setup. So I'm still pretty rough on using pot.
If I get the same again I worked out it'll be enough for reflux run, charge of 40L at 33%
Is this about average for you knowledgable type blokes?
Cheers
bac206

equipment: 2" CM Keggomax
2" Copper pot head.
DIY Voltage controller
Just finished 4" glass bubbler

Re: TPW strip run yield?

Postby DaveZ » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:18 pm

Sounds pretty close. The thing you'll find once you shift from the HBS mindset is that the yield takes a distant second place to the quality of the drink you end up with. There's a saying here something along the lines of "you get what you get". Many factors come into play, ferment temps, pH, SG's, efficiency of stills etc etc. But at the end of the day, if you can make a drink that, hands down, beats anything you can buy from the shop, then who really gives a shit about 100mls of yield here and there?

I'm half cut on McStills Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off recipe at the moment, yet I know I'll wake up with a clear head in the morning, something I could never do on shop bought spirits, hangovers where never kind to me. That alone is worth every cent I've spent on this hobby.

Keep pushing for a quality end result and yield will be a distant memory. But it don't sound like you're too far off anyway lol.

Cheers,
Dave.
DaveZ

equipment: 5 plate FSD bubbler with gin basket and packed rock section on a 50L, 4800W keg

Postby SBB » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:19 pm

So 46 Litres of wash stripped , sounds roughly right to me
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Sam. » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:33 pm

Using 10 KG of sugar in a 50L of TPW I end up with about 10L of strip which is usually just over the 40% mark :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby bac206 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:34 pm

Just wanna doubly make sure I'm getting it right. So sick of the turbo hangovers and glad I found this site. Got rid of my leftover turbo sitting in cupboard. Itching to get my first TPW reflux product. Hopefully in a fortnights time. Damn you work interrupting my brewing. Might be time to get more fermenters :handgestures-thumbupleft:
On a side note. Tried to introduce a few other lads I know to the site. They all seemed more interested in turbos :violence-smack: might have to give them a sample when I get stocks up to convert them
bac206

2" Copper pot head.
DIY Voltage controller

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:51 pm

Hi bac206
I've too just tried my first TPW after years of turbos.I can not beleive the difference.
I had some 40% unflavoured turbo vodka and some 40% TPW unflavoured vodka.
Gave missus a taste of each.She could not believe that we had been drinking that horrid shit for so long.
Recon give your mates a comparison :dance:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Sam. » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:55 pm

Yummyrum wrote:Gave missus a taste of each.She could not believe that we had been drinking that horrid shit for so long.

Classic :laughing-rolling:

Get your mates around to have a sample from each cut jar and see what they reckon ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby SBB » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:11 pm

TPW will give you a hangover to unless ya get ya cuts right
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby bac206 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:21 pm

I figure ill be brutal with cuts until I get good at it. Better safe than sorry I guess. I know its a different subject all together but what to do with feints? Whole cuts notion is new to me after leaving HBS way behind
bac206

2" Copper pot head.
DIY Voltage controller

Postby DaveZ » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:25 pm

Save the feints until you've got enough to do a run with them, you'll get a lot of that alcohol back. I had trouble working out where to make the cuts at first :oops: Let air for a day or so, water down a small sample in a shot glass and it's heaps easier.
DaveZ

equipment: 5 plate FSD bubbler with gin basket and packed rock section on a 50L, 4800W keg

Postby SBB » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:25 pm

Save them up and do a Feints run, but water them down to 40% or less first, or throw them in the boiler with the next wash.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby bac206 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:07 am

Thanks heaps gents
bac206

2" Copper pot head.
DIY Voltage controller

Return to Sugar wash's