First TPW

Sugar wash info and questions

Re: First TPW

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:00 pm

znipa-x wrote:right there with ya with a TPW, though I did the tried and proven 25L wash, only after I put it into the fermenter did I realise the lid didn't have a seal, so I let it go for a week until my turbo had finished in the other fermenter, cleared and moved that to a storage drum and moved the TPW to the "good" fermenter so I could "watch" the airlock and see how well it works, stirred the whole lot up again in the process and it's working away nicely without extra heat which it probably should have. Also I think due to ferment time I'm going to have to have two or three going at once at various stages cos I can't wait weeks for the TPW to clear :roll:

You can just stick glad wrap over a fermenter with a few pin prick holes in it ,if ever you need to use one with no lid .You will see the glad wrap bulge up under pressure .I've done my Rums like this . :handgestures-thumbupleft: Lets the gas out but keeps the vinegar fly out too.
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby noname4670 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:08 pm

yes i forgot to mention the tomato paste although i did put it in i can asure you
noname4670

equipment: 58L Weelie bins x2
Airstill x2
50L Stainless Steel Keg
and a whole lot of other stuff

Postby Dominator » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:12 pm

Yummyrum wrote:
znipa-x wrote:right there with ya with a TPW, though I did the tried and proven 25L wash, only after I put it into the fermenter did I realise the lid didn't have a seal, so I let it go for a week until my turbo had finished in the other fermenter, cleared and moved that to a storage drum and moved the TPW to the "good" fermenter so I could "watch" the airlock and see how well it works, stirred the whole lot up again in the process and it's working away nicely without extra heat which it probably should have. Also I think due to ferment time I'm going to have to have two or three going at once at various stages cos I can't wait weeks for the TPW to clear :roll:

You can just stick glad wrap over a fermenter with a few pin prick holes in it ,if ever you need to use one with no lid .You will see the glad wrap bulge up under pressure .I've done my Rums like this . :handgestures-thumbupleft: Lets the gas out but keeps the vinegar fly out too.

Wouldn't want to leave it too long after it finished fermenting though.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Sam. » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:13 pm

Dominator wrote:
Yummyrum wrote:

Wouldn't want to leave it too long after it finished fermenting though.

Just don't prick any holes in it, the pressure will escape but nothing will come in once its finished :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Re: update

Postby noname4670 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:32 pm

hey guys i am getting ready to do the tried and true TWP tomorow after my last turbo is done clearing which it is started to do now i will drain it off wash out my fermenter good and follow the recipe to the letter for my first 25L TWP
noname4670

Airstill x2
50L Stainless Steel Keg

Re: update

Postby MacStill » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:31 pm

noname4670 wrote:hey guys i am getting ready to do the tried and true TWP tomorow after my last turbo is done clearing which it is started to do now i will drain it off wash out my fermenter good and follow the recipe to the letter for my first 25L TWP

I'm sure you'll be happy with the switch, very rarely have I ever seen any negative feedback from those that have done this recipe, except the odd complaint about yield being a little lower...... but we're not about quantity here, it's all about quality :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Enjoy!
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

First TPW

Postby kingy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:01 pm

I put holes in my glad wrap lid then lay a tea towell over it. That way no nasties can get in there. So much easy easier just throwing the glad wrap out and getting a new bit than cleaning lids, airlocks, rings, grommets blah blah.
Had a couple of glad wrap lids blow off in my time that's why the tea towell has its place now.
kingy

equipment: 4inch modular up to 5 plates and a packed section
50 litre 2x 2400w elements boiler
100 litre E herms brewery with a 130litre gas boiler

Postby Sam. » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:53 pm

kingy wrote:Had a couple of glad wrap lids blow off in my time that's why the tea towell has its place now.

Thats why you pull out the rubber o ring from your unused lid and use as a rubber band :handgestures-thumbupleft: Or use a real rubber band etc :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:07 pm

Big O-Ring .Like that idea . :handgestures-thumbupleft: I just use a piece of string but I can't remember my double granny knots from my truckies knots ( actually I can never my truckies knots no matter how many times I'm shown it :angry-banghead: )

Funny about the tea towel.I use that on my wine buckets for the primary ferment stage
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Re: First TPW update

Postby noname4670 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:46 pm

today is the day of my first TPW i found my last remaining turbo kit so i fermented it out and today i have layed down my first TPW WOOOO HOOOO
noname4670

Airstill x2
50L Stainless Steel Keg

Postby jdonly1 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:37 pm

Hope to strip ours out this weekend,just have to see how we go.Got 150l of it do plus 275l of Wineos sugar wash :scared-eek: :D
jdonly1

equipment: 50 litre pot still
315 Litre boiler and 4 inch stripper
2 inch VM on 50l Keg (now retired)
4 inch VM (aka the BIG PRICK) on 315litre boiler
Soon to come 6 inch Mac bubblier on 205 litre boiler
6 inch stripper on 300 litre boiler

Postby MacStill » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:51 pm

jdonly1 wrote:Hope to strip ours out this weekend,just have to see how we go.Got 150l of it do plus 275l of Wineos sugar wash :scared-eek: :D

And your big fuck off stripper should have all her good gear on ready to dance in the next day or so, be good to hear how that new shotty ya bro built performs too :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby jdonly1 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:04 am

MacStill wrote:
jdonly1 wrote:Hope to strip ours out this weekend,just have to see how we go.Got 150l of it do plus 275l of Wineos sugar wash :scared-eek: :D

And your big fuck off stripper should have all her good gear on ready to dance in the next day or so, be good to hear how that new shotty ya bro built performs too :D

Lol will keep you up dated mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jdonly1

equipment: 50 litre pot still
315 Litre boiler and 4 inch stripper
2 inch VM on 50l Keg (now retired)
4 inch VM (aka the BIG PRICK) on 315litre boiler
Soon to come 6 inch Mac bubblier on 205 litre boiler
6 inch stripper on 300 litre boiler

Postby Geeps » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:39 pm

G'day to all,

Just putting down my first TPW of 60ltr.
13kg sugar
590 grams tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon citric acid
Total of 50 ltr water with it
I have come up with a SG of 1100 is it ok to pitch the bakers yeast at this SG? (1 cup)

Cheers
Geeps

equipment: Rose oil extractor

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:46 pm

Geeps wrote:G'day to all,

Just putting down my first TPW of 60ltr.
13kg sugar
590 grams tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon citric acid
Total of 50 ltr water with it
I have come up with a SG of 1100 is it ok to pitch the bakers yeast at this SG? (1 cup)

Cheers

That's a lot of paste in there mate, but you should be fine. Why not ease up a little on that yeast? A cup sounds a lot. What's the weight there? Go 160grams - 200grams (my guess at what a cup's worth weighs) sounds a lot.

Be patient and wait it out - you might need to keep it warm if you're in a cold area.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Geeps » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:32 pm

Thank's for the info.
I have droped the yeast back to 140g.
Geeps

equipment: Rose oil extractor

Previous

Return to Sugar wash's