30 ABV run - fluctuating temp t500

Sugar wash info and questions

Postby vqstatesman » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:36 pm

I'm currently using a t500 and typically only do one run at the usual ABV from fermenter - approx 15%

In an effort to produce a cleaner neutral I decided to collect all my distillate and do a rerun. I diluted the distillate to approx 30ABV and ran the wash - it's actually running as I type :)

My t500 is running in a very odd manner! the water flow into the condenser is consistent however the temp is swinging wildly. Without any adjustment from my coolant input the temp is swinging from 50 - 67C in a kind of cycle. Starts rising up to 65 ish then slowly back down to 50 then back up again.

Ohh and one other point. The output distillate is around 80 ABV instead of the usual 90+ %. The distillate output volume is also fluctuating massively e.g. no output for 20 seconds then a huge stream faster than I have ever seen

WTF is going on? I seriously need some suggestions???

Thanks in advance :)
vqstatesman

equipment: 4" Bubbler
150L Pressurised Bain Marie with built in agitator
50L Milk Can Boiler for small runs (feints)
T500 boiler repurposed as oversized decanter
Grainfather in the corner collecting dust

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:41 pm

Are there any leaks? Are you losing vapour anywhere?

Any blockages in the column?

That surging is a worry. Id shut down and check for blocks and leaks.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Re: 30 ABV run - fluctuating temp t500

Postby satchy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:03 pm

Definitely not normal turn of give it a clean then check your flow rate 550mls per 1 min

Good luck :)
satchy

equipment: T500 and pot still

Postby Dominator » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:04 pm

Also is your water flow even? Are you running off town water or a water pump? Doesnt sound real good mate.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby vqstatesman » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:29 pm

Update...

Still is still running and I have now recovered around 70% of the alcohol...

Temp has levelled out and operating normally. Rather odd I just tested the ABV output and its now up to around 90%.

PS I'm running of Adelaide town water. I have been monitoring the water flow which has been very constant around the usual 500ml / minute.
Also pretty sure there are no blockages as I cleaned and tested the still prior to starting my run. I commonly do this.

is it possible the t500 reflux just isn't happy with high ABV runs?
vqstatesman

Postby SBB » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:47 am

Ive run stripped wash through a T500, and Im sure many others here have as well, The ABV should make no difference to how it runs. You have some other problem. How full was your boiler??
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby drunkmore » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:19 am

Sounds to me like your colum is flooding. I'm not familiar with the T500... What type of paking do they use? Is the paking to tight? This will cause the reflux to flood the colum, effectively blocking it for a second until its heavy enough to pour through. This in turn sets up a surge. Which then creates a repeating pattern. It would also end up working slightly detuned, which would account for your lower ABV.
How are your cuts? I suspect they would have been very dificult to make.
I suggest check your packing and rerun the lot again
drunkmore

equipment: Pda1 over a 50ltr Keg cooled via recirculated 2000 ltr water tank
Cookan with Gass

Postby vqstatesman » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:13 am

Boiler was filled up to the recommended capacity. Column is packed with ceramic noodles. I don’t believe it's over packed as they still move a little when shaken.
Would a slight leak cause the column to flood? This is all I can think to blame. If the top of the column has a slight leak surely there would be a lack of vacuum and this may cause the flooding??
I have noticed when I rinse the column out water dribbles out from the top. Manufacture told me this is normal when cool, apparently when in operation the top of the column seals closed from creating a vacuum.
vqstatesman

Postby Sam. » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:29 am

It may have been surge boiling. Do you use any sort of boiler chips? ie a couple of little off cuts of copper.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:13 pm

That is LM still so it must have a vent in the top.Otherwise it would explode if you had the takeoff valve closed
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby NotBenStiller » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:24 pm

vqstatesman wrote:Boiler was filled up to the recommended capacity. Column is packed with ceramic noodles. I don’t believe it's over packed as they still move a little when shaken.

Nah - you can't over pack with the ceramic saddles - they just don't have very much surface area and they can't compact down.

Another note is that the T500 can't handle low wines very well - you'll get vapour from the product output coz the condenser/cooler is very small and inefficient (unless you have a massive powerful pump and and run crap loads of water thru it) - and especially if you have it set up as recommended by still spirits
It's a bit better if you run two separate cooling lines/pumps.
So if there's vapour/huffing then i guess it might make the temp swings happen
NotBenStiller

equipment: 3" DR bok....

Postby bac206 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:45 pm

What wash are you running?
I've never ran a t500 so not sure on set up but maybe its puking. I strip my TPW no dramas but it easily pukes when doing spirit runs. I make sure to keep low wines level in boiler way down (from maximum) and use distillers conditioner on spirit runs/re runs. Some say you can use olive oil instead of distillers conditioner but I don't know volumes sorry.
Hope this helps :pray:
bac206

equipment: 2" CM Keggomax
2" Copper pot head.
DIY Voltage controller
Just finished 4" glass bubbler

Postby Dominator » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:37 pm

bac206 wrote:What wash are you running?
I've never ran a t500 so not sure on set up but maybe its puking. I strip my TPW no dramas but it easily pukes when doing spirit runs. I make sure to keep low wines level in boiler way down (from maximum) and use distillers conditioner on spirit runs/re runs. Some say you can use olive oil instead of distillers conditioner but I don't know volumes sorry.

A tablespoon of olive/canola/vegetable oil or butter works great to stop puking.
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby Fatherjack » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:16 pm

NotBenStiller wrote:Another note is that the T500 can't handle low wines very well

:text-+1:

Running low wines on mine always results in product temps bouncing around with the odd vapour chuff
Fatherjack

equipment: 50l keg boiler
Mac pot still

Postby MacStill » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:26 pm

That's weird :think:

Stig always runs low wines through his T500
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby drunkmore » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:31 pm

Dominator wrote:
bac206 wrote:What wash are you running?

A tablespoon of olive/canola/vegetable oil or butter works great to stop puking.

Interesting ... Besides :puke-huge: what is "puking" ?

I have this from still spirits t500 FAQ page.

Why is my still providing a poor quality alcohol?
The reason why your alcohol quality is not the best is because your condenser is running too hot. If the alcohol is coming out hot, then this is a sign the unit is running too hot. Operate your unit at lower temperature, closer to 55 degrees Celsius.
]If the temperature is fluctuating, ceramic saddles may need a clean and repack.
drunkmore

equipment: Pda1 over a 50ltr Keg cooled via recirculated 2000 ltr water tank
Cookan with Gass

Postby Dominator » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:52 pm

Puking is when your wash foams up in the boiler and the foam/wash makes it into your still/column. With a pot still it will literaly puke your wash out of the condenser and contaminate your distillate.
If you read something and arn't sure what it means, check here: Glossary of Terms. It is in the newbie section. However, whem looking up this link I realised 'Puke' is not in the glossary of terms. Maybe one of the mods could add it.
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby Sam. » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:30 pm

I don't think puking is what is going in here more like flooding.

I have never seen a TPW puke in the slightest, there is no reason a stripped anything should puke.

I reckon you might be trying to pump through much alc through the little rig.

Either increase reflux or decrease your boiler charge ABV :handgestures-thumbupleft:

And try some offcuts
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby SBB » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:24 am

drunkmore wrote:Sounds to me like your colum is flooding.

That was my other thought, or two much in boiler.

vqstatesman wrote:I have noticed when I rinse the column out water dribbles out from the top. Manufacture told me this is normal when cool, apparently when in operation the top of the column seals closed from creating a vacuum.

That is rubbish...if its leaking its unsafe....a lot of these stills have leaked around that area, Its not really safe to run them if they are leaking, maybe you need to ask the supplier / manufacturer where the "vacuum" is in that still.

sam_and_liv wrote:It may have been surge boiling. Do you use any sort of boiler chips? ie a couple of little off cuts of copper.

Good point Sam......they do come with boil chips, and should be used.

Yummyrum wrote:That is LM still so it must have a vent in the top.Otherwise it would explode if you had the takeoff valve closed

Yummy the only valve on these stills is for the water flow.

NotBenStiller wrote:Another note is that the T500 can't handle low wines very well - you'll get vapour from the product output coz the condenser/cooler is very small and inefficient (unless you have a massive powerful pump and and run crap loads of water thru it) - and especially if you have it set up as recommended by still spirits

Ive run mine a number of times on low wines and never had that problem, The instruction that come with the still are a rough guide, I found it best to forget the temps and water flow and concentrate more on keeping the flow of product from the condenser slow n steady.

MacStill wrote:That's weird :think:

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby NotBenStiller » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:05 am

SBB wrote:
Ive run mine a number of times on low wines and never had that problem, The instruction that come with the still are a rough guide, I found it best to forget the temps and water flow and concentrate more on keeping the flow of product from the condenser slow n steady.

MacStill wrote:That's weird :think:

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

OK... *my* T500 i used to have couldn't handle low wines very well.
YMMV
NotBenStiller

equipment: 3" DR bok....

Next

Return to Sugar wash's