ph adjustment

Sugar wash info and questions

ph adjustment

Postby philthy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:58 pm

gday, can anyone assist me or steer me to the right thread as i cant find it.

Im doing a ujsm and on to the 3rd gen. just tested ph level today for the first time and its around 3 on the test paper strip. I believe it needs to be 5?? Ive read bi- carb soda and citric acid mixture combined will do it. Is this correct and/ or how much is needed in 25L wash??

philthy

Re: ph adjustment

Postby blond.chap » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:01 pm

Hey mate, you're on the right track, just a few details off.

First off, between 3 and 4 is about right for fermentation. 5 could be ok, but may be a little on the high side.

Citric acid will lower the pH if you need that.

Soda ash will increase the pH.

Couldn't tell you how much exactly, just add a bit of whichever is needed then test again.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby philthy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:34 pm

rito thanks blonde.chap, i thort my wash is way too low so should i adjust it or run it???
philthy

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:48 pm

Hey philthy. when you say "run it" do you mean put it through the still ?
There's no point adjusting pH just before running it through a still .( assuming its fermented right out)

There is a point to adjusting pH before fermenting again thou :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby philthy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:58 pm

oh rito olmate, so adjusting the PH level of the wash before distilling it is pointless at the end and should be done at the beginning of each gen??
Sorry if that wasnt what you meant. I appreciate your help :handgestures-thumbupleft:
philthy

Postby newbiboozer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:21 pm

What is soda ash. And is that and citric acid the only things used to adjust PH and is 3-4 right for any wash.
newbiboozer

equipment: 4" modular plated column in very early stages.

Postby blond.chap » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:34 pm

Ah, yes if it's already fermented out there's no need to adjust pH, only really important for getting a good fermentation going.

Soda ash is sodium carbonate, it's the main thing used for adjusting pH in winemaking, also used for adjusting pH in swimming pools.

Soda ash and citric aren't then only things used to adjust pH, you can use any alkaline or acidic substance. However you're probably best off sticking with something food safe and not too corrosive (probably wouldn't use sulfuric acid, hydrochloric acid, caustic soda etc.).

The common additives to reduce pH (make more acidic) are tartaric acid, citric acid and malic acid. Common additives to increase pH are soda ash and caustic soda, as I said though, I'd steer clear of caustic, easy to burn yourself.

There's subtle differences to changing pH when making beer or wine, but for distilling 3-4 should keep your yeast happy, just as long as around that range.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby philthy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:36 pm

buggered if i know newieboozer, the guys on here have years of experience so lets here it Mods.... what ya recken we do?? :handgestures-thumbupleft:
philthy

Postby Kimbo » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:18 pm

If you find that your pH is too low, try backing off a little with the backset on future gens :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The fermentation process does naturally lower the pH ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby philthy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:22 pm

rito Kimbo thanks :handgestures-thumbupleft:
just to clarify, what is the desired PH level throughout the ujsm mashes?
philthy

Postby philthy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:05 pm

what should the ph reading be kimbo?
philthy

Postby 1 2many » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:11 pm

philthy wrote:what should the ph reading be kimbo?

I think your question has been answered philthy around 3-4 :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby philthy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:20 pm

1 2many wrote:

I think your question has been answered philthy around 3-4 :handgestures-thumbupleft:

thanks olmate, was after it from someone bit more clued in son but ill take ya word from it olmate. thanks bud :handgestures-thumbupleft:
philthy

Postby db1979 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:21 pm

Bicarb of soda will also raise the pH and is cheap and easy to get your hands on. Its basically (no pun intended) sodium carbonate that has reacted with one equivalent of acid. Sodium carbonate can react with two equivalents of acid, so bicarb has still got one equivalent of acid that it can react with.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby 1 2many » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:24 pm

philthy wrote:
1 2many wrote:

thanks olmate, was after it from someone bit more clued in son but ill take ya word from it olmate. thanks bud :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Don't worry some one will correct me shortly :)) :)) :O)
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby MacStill » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:46 pm

philthy wrote:
1 2many wrote:

Blonde chaps as clued in as any other here, and he answered you correctly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Sam. » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:59 pm

MacStill wrote:
philthy wrote:
1 2many wrote:

Blonde chaps as clued in as any other here, and he answered you correctly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1: BC knows what he is talking about as do a large sum of people here that are not Mods or Admin. You will see the Mods or Admin chime in if you are given incorrect information :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by Sam. on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Sugar wash's