FG of cornflakes/wheat bix wash.

Sugar wash info and questions

FG of cornflakes/wheat bix wash.

Postby Dominator » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:58 am

I am on my second gen of a cornflakes/wheat bix wash, what would you expect the FG to be.
The first gen stalled at about 1025 (I think it may have been lack of nutrients) so I stripped it and put a second gen on using the lees and 5L of backset. This second gen slowed after about 3-4 days, gravity was around 1030, ph was 3.2 so I adjusted with CC up to 4.6 and it started again. Now a week later and it has slowed right down but the gravity is still only around 1020, PH is 4. I am wondering if the cereals are giving me a high SG. Unfortunatly I did not take a starting gravity. :angry-banghead:
Recipe is 4ish cups of cornflakes and 2ish of wheatbix, 5kg sugar, filled to 25L. 80g of bakers yeast.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Re: FG of cornflakes/wheat bix wash.

Postby hayden » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:10 pm

Hi Dominator I have a fifth gen wash fermenting at the moment on it's 3rd day. I will give you a final SG in about 4 days time if you want. Your PH is about perfect at 4 to 4.5.
I use calcium carbonate to adjust PH too. It is slower than Sod. Bicarb. but more stable with a buffer of citric acid initially in maintaining a good level of PH.
I suspect from my experiences that your nutrient levels are low in your wash.
I have made about 20 of Wineo's Sugar wash and settled on the amounts below.
5KG of sugar
9 gms of DAP
10 gms of Calcium Carbonate
1 gm Magnesium Sulphate (Epsom Salts)
2 gms Citric acid
Add water to make up 25 litres
60 gms of dried instant bakers yeast (Allied Mills, Lowans are fine)
Pitch started dry yeast (1 Litre water and 1 teaspoon of sugar stirred and given 30 mins to fire up)
Start SG is 1065 FSG id 990 when left for 6 days @ 29 deg C

I used this as a basis for modified version of Odins Cornflakes Whisky.

4.5 Kg of sugar instead of 5 is the only adjustment to Wineo's.
Then 800 gms Coles homebrand Cornflakes
200 gms dense Rye bread (either pumpernickel or the dutch one in Coles). The Dutch Company brand is better as it has no added ingredients apart from Rye grain, Rye flour, yeast and water. Both have undergone the Maillard reaction so the flavour of Rye is intense in the bread.
4 Weetbix
Heat up 3 litres of water and pitch in Cornflakes and Weetbix. Break up Rye bread finely and toss in.
slow cook and stir for 15 minutes and add to wash.
Pitch yeast as above when temp. is down to 28 - 30 Deg C.
I use a Bunnings paint stirrer on a cordless drill (long shaft painted yellow. Sandblasted the paint off in case of lead in the paint and just oil it with Canola between uses).
This level of nutrient gets the wash moving really well and ferments out quite dry.

2nd gen onwards I leave out the Citric acid as the backset (5 litres) is more than acidic enough.

Hope this helps you get your washes going again and I will add the final SG in a few days.
hayden

equipment: Pure Distilling Pot still

Re: FG of cornflakes/wheat bix wash.

Postby hayden » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:12 pm

Hi Dominator I have just read the final SG of 990 for the wash above. It is completely fermented out and all activity has stopped @ 1:39 PM today. Wash started on 26-10-2013 @ 1-00 PM.
Hope that helps.
hayden

equipment: Pure Distilling Pot still

Return to Sugar wash's