Curious happenings with TPW.

Sugar wash info and questions

Postby SX170 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:32 am

Hi all,
I put down 2 identical 25l TPW washes last night as per the original recipe to the letter.
Dissolved sugar and mixed in tomato paste and citric in 10l of hot water (66 degrees)
Added cold water to 25l. They were both still a bit hot (36 degrees) so I waited for them to cool a bit.
Added the 80 grams of Lowens a bit later. 1st fermenter was at 30.8 degrees. 2nd was at 33.7 degrees.
Stirred in the yeast vigorously, put on the lids and airlocks.
1st fermenter was bubbling away nicely abot 30 mins after that but nothing from the second one. That was about 10.00 last night.
Checked again this morning and it was the same. Just a slight difference in level in the airlock.
I dont know whats going on, perhaps I have contaminated something. I was very careful to sterilise though.
Will sneak home soon to check them again but any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers.
SX170

equipment: Home built bubbler.

Re: Curious happenings with TPW.

Postby MacStill » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:52 am

probably just need to check if the lids on your fermenting containers are sealing properly, it's a fairly bomb proof recipe ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby djfrestyla » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:54 am

I'd Throw a bit more yeast in the second fermenter, as over 30 deg may have killed off the yeast.
djfrestyla

equipment: Nixon Stone, Valve reflux on a 55L electric keg (retired)
2"Pot Still (retired)
4"Copper Bubbler, W/Lava Packed section.

Postby the Doctor » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:56 am

Don't panic yet SX...the gods of yeasties are fickle beasts, I expect that by this afternoon you should have, yeasties galore chomping on a feast of sugar. The temperatures you pitched at were OK for most yeasts. We rehydrate and pitch at anywhere from 35 degrees down to 25 degrees ( although I do not use bakers yeast...I am sure it would be in the range). Did you aerate the wash when pitching, yeasties need some air when they are first multiplying...this is often the cause of a slow start.
If for any reason your yeasties have given up the ghost in one of the washes...simply re hydrate a new batch and pitch the little buggers again. I am sure this will sort itself out in a day or two...if you hit a wall and it is just not working in two or three days...PM me. Cheers.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:56 am

Yep what mac said. The seals might be leaking a little co2.

Also - don't be running home to check and opening your fermenters. Relax and have patience. All that worrying isn't going to make it ferment any better or quicker, and if anything every time you open it or pull off some wash to test the gravity means you're taking off the co2 layer that is actively protecting the wash from nasties.

Your heat is right, just let the yeast do its thing and wait a week or two from now and it will be right as rain mate.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby SX170 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:55 am

Thanks Mac, Doc, djf & byb.
Yes I think you may be right. Seems I may have gone off half cocked again (not for the first time :oops: )
Will chek this arvo after work and report in.

Cheers.
SX170

Postby SX170 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:51 am

OK here is a tip for new players. CHECK ALL THE LITTLE BASIC THINGS BEFORE ASKING DUMB QUESTIONS LIKE I DID.
Mac got it in one. Twisted seal in the fermenter lid. Fixed it and all bubbling away beautifully now.
Thanks for all the replies.

Cheers. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
SX170

Postby poompy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:11 am

or even better get rid of the lid and use glad wrap held with the o-ring. u can see the yeast foaming up at the start and I can also hear all the CO2 bubbling out.
Used to love hearing the air lock bubbling, but the cling wrap means two less things to clean for me :handgestures-thumbupleft:
poompy

equipment: SS T500
McStill Pot Still

Postby 1 2many » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:17 am

poompy wrote:or even better get rid of the lid and use glad wrap held with the o-ring. u can see the yeast foaming up at the start and I can also hear all the CO2 bubbling out.
Used to love hearing the air lock bubbling, but the cling wrap means two less things to clean for me :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1: Definitely the way to go, you said you had a slight rise in the level in you airlock so i would bet that you don't have an air tight seal , i alway wet the bung hole for the airlock and the lid seal with sanitizer to get a better seal but now have given up on air locks just some gladwrap and rubber seal make things easier to hear and see. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby bt1 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:19 pm

never bother with an airlock for distill wash while it's active... ferments fast enough to aroma up a kitchen let alone a little 60lt fermenter

Once it's done or if being stored, yeh sure.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Bushy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:26 pm

Last time i wet the bunghole on the airlock she slept in the spare room for two nights
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby 1 2many » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:39 pm

Bushy wrote:Last time i wet the bunghole on the airlock she slept in the spare room for two nights

:)) :)) Bloody clown :O)
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:10 pm

Another trick is to stick your ear right up against the fermenter.If its do g its thing you wil hear it fizzing away very clearly.
I use this method alot.Its another skill in to develope.Monitoring a wash every day for quite a few washes and you wil hear the pattern
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby SBB » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:23 pm

Your a sick man Bushy :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby CHEROKEE » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:15 pm

Good idea, that'll keep her out of the kitchen for a couple of days so I can run my still. :happy-partydance:
CHEROKEE

equipment: FSD Mac-4 SSG 4 Plate 6 inch Bubbler on a 80 Litre, 6000 Watt Keg Boiler.
IBC cooling system utilising a 4 inch submersible bore pump.

Postby MacStill » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:27 pm

1 2many wrote:
Bushy wrote:Last time i wet the bunghole on the airlock she slept in the spare room for two nights

Clown ? you should meet him in person :doh: huge shoes and a funny hat too :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Kimbo » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:32 pm

MacStill wrote:
1 2many wrote:

Clown ? you should meet him in person :doh: huge shoes and a funny hat too :laughing-rolling:

Just don't mention his nose...... he's a bit touchy about that one :shhh:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby CHEROKEE » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:45 pm

Getting off Topic, I always use gladwrap with a rubber ring. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
CHEROKEE

equipment: FSD Mac-4 SSG 4 Plate 6 inch Bubbler on a 80 Litre, 6000 Watt Keg Boiler.
IBC cooling system utilising a 4 inch submersible bore pump.

Postby MacStill » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:55 pm

well if ya curious bout TPW ya dont want to read this thread :teasing-tease:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Boomgate » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:35 pm

Yummyrum wrote:Another trick is to stick your ear right up against the fermenter.If its do g its thing you wil hear it fizzing away very clearly.
I use this method alot.Its another skill in to develope.Monitoring a wash every day for quite a few washes and you wil hear the pattern

+1

The seals on my fermenters havent sealed 100% for a while now... probably from pouring hot water into it all the time.... If it aint bubbling, have a listen and if its hissing like a glass of fizzy drink you are fine.
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Next

Return to Sugar wash's