Sugar (Tas)

Sugar wash info and questions

Sugar (Tas)

Postby noname4670 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:46 pm

where do you guys buy your bulk sugar from in tassie ?
or if you do by say 24kg of sugar from the local super market what do you say if asked about the large amounts of sugar ?
noname4670

equipment: 58L Weelie bins x2
Airstill x2
50L Stainless Steel Keg
and a whole lot of other stuff

Re: Sugar (Tas)

Postby 1 2many » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:48 pm

Your having a fund raiser and selling cupcakes and biscuits. ;-)
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby OzKev » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:51 pm

Do you have Aldi down there? They sell Meryfield which is about $1.60 per 2kg bag = 80c/kg. I can't get it cheaper anywhere even in bulk 25kg bags.
OzKev

equipment: 50 L boiler with 2 x 2200w elements, and voltage controller
- Pot still with a 2" column, 1/2" liebig, with a few ogee attachments.
- 3" Modular Boka
Still Spirit Super Reflux
Still Spirit T500

All Grain brewery (BIAB, 1V and a 3v)
Temp controlled fermenting

Postby 1 2many » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:54 pm

QldKev wrote:Do you have Aldi down there? They sell Meryfield which is about $1.60 per 2kg bag = 80c/kg. I can't get it cheaper anywhere even in bulk 25kg bags.

Thats a good price cheapest in melbourne i have seen is Aldi @ $1.69 per 2 Kg.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby OzKev » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:11 pm

1 2many wrote:
QldKev wrote:Do you have Aldi down there? They sell Meryfield which is about $1.60 per 2kg bag = 80c/kg. I can't get it cheaper anywhere even in bulk 25kg bags.

Thats a good price cheapest in melbourne i have seen is Aldi @ $1.69 per 2 Kg.

Probably same price here I was not sure on an exact figure, that's why I said about.
OzKev

equipment: 50 L boiler with 2 x 2200w elements, and voltage controller
- Pot still with a 2" column, 1/2" liebig, with a few ogee attachments.
- 3" Modular Boka
Still Spirit Super Reflux
Still Spirit T500

All Grain brewery (BIAB, 1V and a 3v)
Temp controlled fermenting

Postby dogbreath vodka » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:38 pm

$1.89 in Woolies for 2kg, always there and convenient shopping.
Not worth looking further afield for me...

And I live 15mins from one sugar mill and 1.5hr from another.
;-)

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby JayD » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:30 pm

just buy some (2/4 kg) every time you go to the supermarket, it soon adds up... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby res » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:00 pm

noname4670 wrote:what do you say if asked about the large amounts of sugar ?

I have seen this question on just about every forum and it cracks me up every time. :))
It is my devout opinion that you could fill your trolley with sugar and barely raise an eyebrow (the same eyebrow BTW that would raise with a trolley full of any single ingredient). It's sugar people! There is nothing nefarious about it, and about a million things to do with it. Sure you might get a cashier who could guess what you up too, but why would he care, why would his manager care? Are the cops going to drop anything! to race to the supermarket to catch the guy with the sugar before he leaves? :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Madness I say, it's sugar people :violence-smack:
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Postby MacStill » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:35 pm

res wrote:It is my devout opinion that you could fill your trolley with sugar and barely raise an eyebrow (the same eyebrow BTW that would raise with a trolley full of any single ingredient). It's sugar people! There is nothing nefarious about it, and about a million things to do with it. Sure you might get a cashier who could guess what you up too, but why would he care, why would his manager care? Are the cops going to drop anything! to race to the supermarket to catch the guy with the sugar before he leaves? :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Now that's gotta be "Quote of the week"

Love it! :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby dogbreath vodka » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:12 pm

noname4670 wrote:or if you do by say 24kg of sugar from the local super market what do you say if asked about the large amounts of sugar ?

Old dear in front of me looks at 26kg of sugar in my trolley and says " Need sweetening up does she?" :laughing-rolling:

"Nah.... bakin a cake" I replied

Most people don't know or care.

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby SBB » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:09 pm

res wrote:
noname4670 wrote:what do you say if asked about the large amounts of sugar ?

I have seen this question on just about every forum and it cracks me up every time. :))
It is my devout opinion that you could fill your trolley with sugar and barely raise an eyebrow (the same eyebrow BTW that would raise with a trolley full of any single ingredient). It's sugar people! There is nothing nefarious about it, and about a million things to do with it. Sure you might get a cashier who could guess what you up too, but why would he care, why would his manager care? Are the cops going to drop anything! to race to the supermarket to catch the guy with the sugar before he leaves? :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Nice post Res. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: Peoples eyes aint gunna pop out if you walk out with a trolly full of dunny paper, or cartons of coke, or flour or potatoes, why the hell would be any more worried about sugar.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby crow » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:00 pm

yeah a girl at the grocers here guessed what I was getting it for one day I got a heap of sugar and yeast and she "no flour eh"made some crack about copper line but big deal figured maybe her dad had the same shopping list for her to be onto it, I mean I could have been making beer ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby JayD » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:41 pm

I think it's all about exceptable risk...yeah most folk might have a sparkle in their eye as the drop a smart remark and never worry about it, then you have the other type who would make your business theirs and in a small place like Tas you just dont know who he or she will be yakking to next ! being obvious is dangerous...I like to be discreet and slowly build my supply of sugar up and try and stay off the radar. We are all grown men n women who calculate the risks we take everyday in everything we do. So yes it's probably unlikely you will get a visit from the man after you purchase sugar in bulk, but it is possible...the choice is yours. ;-)
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:38 am

When I bought the ingredients for my first TPW (10kg sugar, a jar of tomato paste and yeast), the checkout chick says 'what are you making with so much sugar?'

I said 'pizza!'
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Return to Sugar wash's