UJSM

Sugar wash info and questions

Re: UJSM

Postby SBB » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:19 pm

Kal I think you will be quite supprised at how a bit of time on oak tranforms this stuff............I know I was the first time ;-)
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Cane Toad » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:35 pm

I'm hearing ya SBB,I tried some UJ on Saturday night that had been on oak for 4 months,and I made a pig of myself :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby MacStill » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:27 pm

Big Don wrote:I'm hearing ya SBB,I tried some UJ on Saturday night that had been on oak for 4 months,and I made a pig of myself :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Yes and didnt I know all about it :))
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Cane Toad » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:48 pm

Piss off Mac,you weren't much better :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby MacStill » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:26 pm

Big Don wrote:Piss off Mac,you weren't much better :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

I had to skull a bottle so I could understand you :teasing-tease:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Kal » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:36 pm

SBB wrote:Kal I think you will be quite supprised at how a bit of time on oak tranforms this stuff............I know I was the first time ;-)

Should turn out to be a good whisky then :) I like the flavours that it brings already, but being a bourbon drinker it is missing alot of flavours that I am used to.

After 24 hours on oak it has already become a light golden brown. I hope I didn't put too much oak in. I weighed approx 60 grams of chips which is sitting in about 9 litres of 65%. I guess I'd better take a daily taste to keep an eye on it ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kal

equipment: 50L keg boiler
2" bok still
4" plate still

Postby SBB » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:39 pm

You will find that differnt combinations of toasted oak or charred oak will give quite differnt flavours after a while.......My favourite so far was done with fully charred sticks. Mind you none were bad.......they where just different.
Those rubber seals on the jars might draw some attention....but thats personal choice as far as I see it.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:02 pm

Havnt made a bad batch yet, some just better n others :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby R-sole » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:54 am

The boubon flavours come from the wood ;-)

Toasted sticks for 6-8 weeks or barrel aged for lots longer, or a combo of both (my favourite)
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Kal » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:49 am

rubber seals removed on the jars. I placed a small strip of cardboard over the clip to make the clamp a bit tighter, should be 99% airtight without the gasket.
Kal

2" bok still
4" plate still

Postby R-sole » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:28 am

I had some get from 655 down to 27% over a year in jars like that without the seals. Just be aware. No good for long term ageing, but i use them still for a month or two to colour.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

UJSM

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:13 am

What's the prob with the rubber seals if they don't come into contact with the liquor? I thought they'd help make it air tight?
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Kimbo » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:24 am

They do make it air tight, but the rubber stinks and taints your product ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby victorski » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:06 am

It seems a few of you have 5L demijohns, ones with the clip ontop and the white rubber o-ring. Does anyone know if we could use a silicon o-ring as a replacement for the rubber and if so where could one buy one ? Or does everyone just use a cork ?

Also I have purchased some nice 1L bottles with clips and silicon o-rings from ikea ($1.50 each, bargain :handgestures-thumbupleft: ) would these be safe to store 80 proof ?

Cheers,
Victor
victorski

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still with 50L Keg Boiler

Postby maheel » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:09 am

most home brew shops have those clip down lids demijohns

often used for making fruit wine etc
maheel

Postby Kal » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:28 am

5Star wrote:I had some get from 655 down to 27% over a year in jars like that without the seals. Just be aware. No good for long term ageing, but i use them still for a month or two to colour.

Thanks for the heads up. Im thinking just a month or two would be fine for me but I may look at getting some cork or silicon anyway
Kal

2" bok still
4" plate still

Postby victorski » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:27 pm

Ah yes, I have the clip down lids but they have horrible rubber o-rings :handgestures-thumbdown: i would like to replace them with silicon o-rings, any idea where they can be found ? :-D
victorski

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still with 50L Keg Boiler

Postby Al Qaemist » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:22 am

kimbo wrote:They do make it air tight, but the rubber stinks and taints your product ;-)

I have read that about these seals loads of times, but my experience is different. When I've been stuck for storage I've used them for masserations with 60% ABV for 2 months without any stickyness, smell, or any of the other problems posted else where. I doubt they got up much above 12oC during that time, so maybe my cool climate is a factor.

I wouldn't shake the jars to avoid liquid contact, I'd open them up and give a stir - and I would use them again for short term storage without too much concern (my choice)

Al Q
Al Qaemist

equipment: 2"x39" VM, Pot head
50L 3Kw keg, and Modified T500 boiler.

Postby Kal » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:15 pm

SBB wrote:Kal I think you will be quite supprised at how a bit of time on oak tranforms this stuff............I know I was the first time ;-)

Took a small sample to have a taste today, very pleased with how well it is coming along! Developing a nice finish as well which it was lacking as a virgin whisky.
Kal

2" bok still
4" plate still

Postby rohanlobster » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:53 am

Gents,

Been thinking of upgrading to a bubbler for my grain washes however I have a couple of questions before I step up.

Do you strip your washes through the generations and do a final spirit run as with a pot still, or do you do single spirit runs from each generation with the bubbler and blend the spirits together at the end to put on oak.

Can you use the bubbler to strip washes or are you better off with a pot still.

Cheers,

Lobster
rohanlobster

equipment: Keggomax Reflux Still
Mcstill 2.5" Pot

PreviousNext

Return to Sugar wash's