TPW on a hot night

Sugar wash info and questions

TPW on a hot night

Postby Frothwizard » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:16 pm

Well I decided to fire up the new bubbler last night...and by new I meant with a 5th plate and packed section.

I had mixed success. Wash fermented from 1.84 to <1.0 in about 8 days in this hot weather.

Filled the boiler with 40L of ~ 10-11% TPW.

Cooling water was a nice 30 degrees after being in the shed the last few days roasting but still doable.

The still is so tall now that it sprung a leak half way through the run due to it leaning a little I THINK...I'm not 100% sure but I tightened the tri clamps a bit and propped the column up a bit and the leak stopped gradually.

Anyway, onto the run. After sorting the kinks out, it pulled 97% which at 30C is about 95% if I read the alcometer packaging right. So that was good...unfortunately last night, and my sense of smell and taste this morning confirmed, I pulled 300ml of fore/heads, 1.2L of hearts and 6L of Tails down to 30% (Worth mentioning when I hit tails I fire up the second element and turn off RC so my ABV drops considerably after that...sat on 60% for about 4L).

The first big jar of tails smelled normal (I collect tails in 750ml jars) but every jar after that had a distinct burnt rubber smell to it that I'd never had before...I was unsure where it came from....everything else smelled completely as you'd expect.

Anyone come across this smell before?
Frothwizard

equipment: - Airstill
- FSD 4" 5 Plate Bubbler w/ Packed Section
- 50L Keg Boiler w/ 2 x 2400W Weldless Elements

Return to Sugar wash's