Dextrose and Turbo Yeast 'gas fizz'

Sugar wash info and questions

Re: Dextrose and Turbo Yeast 'gas fizz'

Postby Andy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:12 pm

dont shoot him down for offering advice where to get a good deal from zak. some member choose to do turbo washes, while others dont. those who chose to should be able to freely offer advice where they find good deals, without the threat of members harassing them every time turbo or dextrose is mentioned. little respect.

in other words thanks shaneo87 for the post and number crunching. hopefully those who use dex in Brisbane see the post and can get a good price
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:01 pm

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Sam. » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:51 pm

shaneo87 wrote:Something that you might like to know if you are in the Bayside Suburbs of Brisbane... The Home Brew Shop in Cleveland (4/69 Shore St West, Cleveland QLD 4161) is selling their 25Kg bulk bags of Dextrose for only $40.00 which breaks down to $1.60 per Kg and as that's not to much more expensive than buying plain old sugar from Aldi or Woolies I am happy with using Dextrose in my washes, you will also find that when using still spirits Turbo Power23 as directed on the packet you should be using dextrose and this will help you to achieve a wash that you can conservatively get 1100ml of 50% spirit or 1400ml of 40% base spirit. If you are able to buy your yeast in bulk from the Discount Home Brew Warehouse website like I do, I can get 10 packets delivered to my home for $70.00 with 10 packs of turbo carbon and 10 packs of turbo clear for 77.50 plus $27.50 postage so to break it all down and do some number crunching it would cost me (without electricity) $2.45 per litre of 40% base spirit (this figure uses current pricing from their website with shipping to postcode 4184 and pick up of dextrose from my local brew shop) naturally you will have to pay more to add various flavours to the base spirit and for filtering of the spirit but this gives you a brief idea of how cost effective it can be to buy in bulk.

Good to hear mate, maybe you would like to go over to the welcome centre and introduce yourself :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby shaneo87 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:20 am

shaneo87 wrote:Something that you might like to know if you are in the Bayside Suburbs of Brisbane... The Home Brew Shop in Cleveland (4/69 Shore St West, Cleveland QLD 4161) is selling their 25Kg bulk bags of Dextrose for only $40.00 which breaks down to $1.60 per Kg and as that's not to much more expensive than buying plain old sugar from Aldi or Woolies I am happy with using Dextrose in my washes, you will also find that when using still spirits Turbo Power23 as directed on the packet you should be using dextrose and this will help you to achieve a wash that you can conservatively get 1100ml of 50% spirit or 1400ml of 40% base spirit. If you are able to buy your yeast in bulk from the Discount Home Brew Warehouse website like I do, I can get 10 packets delivered to my home for $70.00 with 10 packs of turbo carbon and 10 packs of turbo clear for 77.50 plus $27.50 postage so to break it all down and do some number crunching it would cost me (without electricity) $2.45 per litre of 40% base spirit (this figure uses current pricing from their website with shipping to postcode 4184 and pick up of dextrose from my local brew shop) naturally you will have to pay more to add various flavours to the base spirit and for filtering of the spirit but this gives you a brief idea of how cost effective it can be to buy in bulk.

sorry I miss-typed the figures there... the quantities of spirit produced are 11000ml (11ltr) @ 50% or 14000ml (14ltr) @ 40% and yes i am trying out a TPW now and it looks quite promising as I can get the bakers yeast for $4.00 /500g bag. and the sugar 25kg for $30.00 delivered to my work.
shaneo87

equipment: Turbo500 + old school reflux + pot still.

Postby wynnum1 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:57 am

Dextrose Wodonga VIC, 3690 ‎ $1.43 kilo $35.7 bag when buy 12 bags Brisbane is closer to china .

http://www.5stardistilling.com.au/index.p ... xtrose-429
wynnum1

Previous

Return to Sugar wash's