Fermenting issues

Sugar wash info and questions

Fermenting issues

Postby morgs1301 » Sun May 04, 2014 12:35 pm

Hi guys, firstly I just want to say I own a Turbo 500 still and I'm in the process of my first wash.

I started my fernentation 4 days ago and I have notice the wash keeps going to 18 degrees even tho I am wrapping it up with blankets. So I have been picking the temp up by using a heater . I'm concerned that it has stopped bubbling and I took a hydro test and it's sitting at 900. Could this possibly mean that it has stopped fermenting.? I'm just curious because every where states it takes 7 days.

Please any info on doing turbo washes would be great.
morgs1301

equipment: Just purchased a Turbo 500 reflux still, new to this hobby, hoping to make a quality drop.

Re: Fermenting issues

Postby Kimbo » Sun May 04, 2014 12:42 pm

morgs1301 wrote:Hi guys, firstly I just want to say I own a Turbo 500 still and I'm in the process of my first wash.

I started my fernentation 4 days ago and I have notice the wash keeps going to 18 degrees even tho I am wrapping it up with blankets. So I have been picking the temp up by using a heater . I'm concerned that it has stopped bubbling and I took a hydro test and it's sitting at 900. Could this possibly mean that it has stopped fermenting.? I'm just curious because every where states it takes 7 days.

Please any info on doing turbo washes would be great.

If the SG is at 900, then run it. It has finished fermenting mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Maybe swing past the welcome section with a quick intro mate ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby morgs1301 » Sun May 04, 2014 3:32 pm

Thanks Kimbo, is it possible that I have tested it wrong?? I have heated the wash back to 28 and it appears to have a slow bubble in the air lock every so often now. Does this mean I should leave it?
morgs1301

equipment: Just purchased a Turbo 500 reflux still, new to this hobby, hoping to make a quality drop.

Postby kelbygreen » Sun May 04, 2014 3:55 pm

it wont hurt to leave it a bit longer. The bubbles in the airlock are prob just co2 being released as the temp rises. I would leave it a few more days it wont hurt to let the yeast settle out a bit more.

You are using a turbo and from what I have read they can only take a couple of days to ferment but the product is not to crash hot you get from it either. Have a read around the tried and proven section you will make nicer stuff from them recipes, the yield wont be as much and it will take longer to ferment but will be cheaper to make and alot better quality wise as well :handgestures-thumbupleft:
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby morgs1301 » Sun May 04, 2014 5:25 pm

kelbygreen wrote:it wont hurt to leave it a bit longer. The bubbles in the airlock are prob just co2 being released as the temp rises. I would leave it a few more days it wont hurt to let the yeast settle out a bit more.

You are using a turbo and from what I have read they can only take a couple of days to ferment but the product is not to crash hot you get from it either. Have a read around the tried and proven section you will make nicer stuff from them recipes, the yield wont be as much and it will take longer to ferment but will be cheaper to make and alot better quality wise as well :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thank you Kelbygreen.... :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So I have moved the fermenter from the man cave (warmer with gas heating) to the laundry, I have taken the test and it's at the SG 990. The wash is still darkish in colour, would that matter if I start doing the part A part B turbo clear considering I stir it up anyways to degas??

I'm really wanting to run the turbo clear as I'll be busy back at work during the week or would you guys suggest that I do leave it another couple of days?
morgs1301

Return to Sugar wash's