Disguising a pink TPW as beer

Sugar wash info and questions

Disguising a pink TPW as beer

Postby FireKitty » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:26 pm

Hey folk, got a slightly unusual question...

Recently during a rental inspection I had the added pain of hiding my 2 barrels of pink TPW. It occurred to me that I wouldn't have to hide this if I could disguise them to look like I was brewing beer or cider....

Is there any way to do this? I was thinking food colouring maybe, to change pink to brown? A bit silly I know, but anyone who's ever rented knows what that thin ice can feel like... Although to be honest I've never brewed beer so not sure what I should aim for exactly.

Only other thing I can do is have classic 'beer brewing' stuff lying around, like bottle brushes and big cans for the beer powder from BigW.... Which alone would fool no-one.

Does anyone have experience or input in this area?

Cheers :)
FK
FireKitty

equipment: Ultra Pure reflux still with 30L boiler

Re: Disguising a pink TPW as beer

Postby Timmsy » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:30 pm

I wouldnt be stressed out. If ur that worried just say its a fruit style beer if thay ask
Timmsy

equipment: Amateur distiller.
T500 reflux
2" pot still 1500mm high sitting on a 50ltr electric keg boiler
50ltr gatorade mash tun, 25ltr HLT

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:33 pm

Start making a weetbix wash... Will still give you a nice neutral, but looks a bit more like a beer :)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby C2H6O » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:33 pm

I'd prob leave as is and just say it's cider, if you were really worried why not paint the outside of your barrels black so they can't see in? Or wrap them in a blanket for "insulation", then say it's beer or cider.

Cheers
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Postby Yummyrum » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:37 pm

Wrap a blanket around them if you are worried about them seeing the colour ....probably wouldn't hurt anyway this time of year.

I seriously doubt your Realestate agent cares what you homebrew .....more importantly would be to make your brewing area look clean and tidy.....that bit they see :handgestures-thumbupleft:

+1 on the weetbix wash ....tastes better too

Edit: Double post about the blanket
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby pulsetech » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:07 pm

Hide the still tho :teasing-neener:
pulsetech

equipment: 4"

Postby FireKitty » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:06 pm

2014-06-29 20.52.51.jpg
Well guys, seeing as a was running some washes tonight, I thought I'd give it a go in the name of science.

On the left, a few drops of green food coloring to a TPW, and on the right a few (too many) drops of black (only colours other than red that I had at the time...)

I'm assuming the TPW/green food dye is roughly what a beer mash might look like? If anyone asks, I'll just tell 'em I have Guinness in the other lol :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FireKitty

Postby Yummyrum » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:21 pm

Love your cunning plan
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby bayshine » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:26 pm

Just call it strawberry cider :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby crow » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:00 am

I would stress less about the wash colour. I'll bet they don't know or care much about the wort colour of various beers or the colour of fruit musts. Most worts look something like the beer it is to ferment out as and ciders musts are the same, the blanket idea is good though as it is getting damn cold now :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby sp0rk » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:33 pm

Yeah, I'd just say it's an apple and berry cider, Mrs sp0rk made one not long ago that was a very pale pink
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby Marbled » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:29 am

FireKitty wrote:Hey folk, got a slightly unusual question...

Recently during a rental inspection I had the added pain of hiding my 2 barrels of pink TPW. It occurred to me that I wouldn't have to hide this if I could disguise them to look like I was brewing beer or cider....

Is there any way to do this? I was thinking food colouring maybe, to change pink to brown? A bit silly I know, but anyone who's ever rented knows what that thin ice can feel like... Although to be honest I've never brewed beer so not sure what I should aim for exactly.

Only other thing I can do is have classic 'beer brewing' stuff lying around, like bottle brushes and big cans for the beer powder from BigW.... Which alone would fool no-one.

Does anyone have experience or input in this area?

Cheers :)
FK

I love the thought of the "beer powder"

Why not pop them in the car for the inspection...... Along with the still.....
Marbled

equipment: Bog standard T500, which is what got me into this, without it I wouldn't have bothered.

Postby Marbled » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:04 pm

Inspired by this thread I put on a TPW today and discovered that a capful (5ml?) of blue food dye in a 30litre fermenter goes really rather a long way.
Marbled

equipment: Bog standard T500, which is what got me into this, without it I wouldn't have bothered.

Postby dogbreath vodka » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:11 pm

Marbled wrote:Inspired by this thread I put on a TPW today and discovered that a capful (5ml?) of blue food dye in a 30litre fermenter goes really rather a long way.

So what you're saying is you have a disgusting purple/blue TPW now? :teasing-tease: :teasing-neener:

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby peterhobit » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:31 pm

? Its Rose of course. Nothing illegal about that.
peterhobit

equipment: 5SD six plate bubbler with packed section a Gin caddy + 5SD 60 liter boiler

Postby Muppet » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:43 pm

Fermenting is not illegal, there's no reason to stress yourself about it. Keg boiler? Nah mate thats my crab steamer :teasing-tease:
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby Marbled » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:05 pm

dogbreath vodka wrote:
Marbled wrote:Inspired by this thread I put on a TPW today and discovered that a capful (5ml?) of blue food dye in a 30litre fermenter goes really rather a long way.

So what you're saying is you have a disgusting purple/blue TPW now? :teasing-tease: :teasing-neener:

DBV

Very much so, but the yeast seem to be enjoying themselves and it gave the Mrs and me a bit of a laugh, so it was 100% worthwhile.

anyway, i prefer blue..... on the other hand i might try postbox red next time.
Marbled

Postby FireKitty » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:40 am

Haha love the idea of the crab steamer, wish we actually had crabs around here! (The edible kind, of course....)

I once had a male rental agent come through for an inspection, which is great because they don't tend to be picky... Once done out the front he was curious about a neighbors orange tree (had tiny looking oranges on it, so I wasn't really sure)... I joked and said maybe that's the kind of oranges that can be used in distilling to make curcao, to which he shot me a weird glance and said distilling is illegal... Yup! So I'll keep hiding my stuff, on the bright side they've got a dedicated cupboard now, if you're good at tetris you can *just* make all the equipment fit tehehe :D

I ran out of green dye, and discovered the same as Marbled above, that indeed a tiny bit of blue dye goes a LONG way indeed!

:mrgreen:
FireKitty

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:05 pm

Why don't ya paint ya fermenters ,maybe like this :laughing-rolling: .cheers hillzabilly
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby FireKitty » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:32 pm

Haha Nice :laughing-rolling:
FireKitty

Return to Sugar wash's