190L TPW Recipe using EC1118

Sugar wash info and questions

Re: 190L TPW Recipe using EC1118

Postby huggy_b » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:13 pm

SBB is spot on, I reckon you are over-analyzing it!

Clean your arm with warm water and stir it in with that. I use either my arm, a plastic spoon/paddle thing or a paint mixer on a drill for the heavy duty stuff like molasses and corn etc. Or as SBB said hose it in while filling the barrel. Its a very forgiving wash....

FWIW, mine is bubbling along no worries.
huggy_b

equipment: 4" glasser (5 plates)

Postby SBB » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:59 pm

Big washes are a bastard to stir, Ive found dissolving the sugar and other dry ingredients in smaller containers of hot water first is a good idea.
Once all the sugar is dissolved pour into the big fermented then top up with hot or cold water to achieve roughly 28C Then throw in the yeast.
A ferment that size should make enough heat to keep its self warm for the first few days if you wrap it up snuggly. After that it could need some help to stay warm. Its said that one constant temp throughout the ferment is more important for neutral washes than the actual temp.

HERE is a link to an old post I made when I was a newbie, It was winter and my TPWs had been slow, This experiment kept the temps reasonably stable though they did move around a bit, I didn't need added heat till the afternoon of day four it seems.
Anyway its worth a look might help someone, might not.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby res » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:52 pm

Geeps wrote:res / h_b how did it go? (any one else please chime in as well)

Did you aerate with an air stone or just shake the shit out of it before pitching the yeast?

If I use an air stone do ya recon a couple of days’ worth would do or don’t worry so much?

Did you use 2tsp citric acid? (As per upscale)

Vitamins B tablet (any?)

What do ya recon about 45g of rehydrated yeast being used to make sure?

Well I think it went alright. My olive drum doesn't seal so it's hard to say.
But yes to 2 spoons of critic acid, no air stone just lots of splashing and a good wack with the drill mixer.
I used 50g of hydrated EC1118 as it's what I had left from my last 500g block.
SG was 1.080. Time will tell.
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Postby Geeps » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:30 am

Thanks res , SSB , h_b
Yer a bit of over stressing on the larger wash 8-} just might get meself a heater so there is a constant temp and stir the shit out of it.

Let us know how it turns out res and h_b and cheers for the advice :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Geeps

equipment: Rose oil extractor

Postby res » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:45 am

I put my wash down on Wednesday and checked on Friday to discover after threading the extension lead halfway around the shed to power my aquarium heater I hadn't switched it on. :sad:
So the wash was in a pretty relaxed state when I found it, chilling out at 11c. I turned the heater on and gave it a blanket and it was going along nicely the next day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
res

5lt copper pot still

Postby Geeps » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:21 pm

Good on ya res thanks for the update :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Better a late start than no start :happy-partydance:
Geeps

Postby res » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:43 am

Geeps wrote:
Better a late start than no start :happy-partydance:

Well it's been a week and the old girl isn't looking much better. She's come down from 1.080 to 1.070 x_x Most of which happened in the first couple of days. Bit worried she's stalled. :angry-banghead:
My heater seems to be doing stuff all as the wash is only 13-14°. I have a new block of ec1118 I might feed her some of tomorrow.
Whats the thought on stirring? :think:
res

5lt copper pot still

Postby kickarum » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:41 am

Hi Res
I've also had little success with aquarium heaters, could be to do with them thermoing out due to little circulation in the fermenter as opposed to the constant circulation a healthy aquarium needs, anyhow I purchased a cheap heating belt from eBay nothing flash works really well, also you don't have a lead running into the fermenter interfering with your seal.
Good luck Mick.
kickarum

equipment: Penny Copper pot still, 50L Keg/Boiler

Postby Urrazeb » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:48 am

More yeast won't do much if it's that cold, get some heat into it and it should kick off on it's own :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby huggy_b » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:59 am

I'd question an aquarium heaters ability to heat up 200L of liquid from 8C to 30C for example, IMO they aren't really designed to do that. Its really just a tool to help maintain the warmth created at the start of the wash and chances are you're not circulating the wash to keep distributing the warmer liquid throughout like they would in an aquarium.

FWIW, mine is still kicking along and hopefully ready to run this weekend if not early next week.
huggy_b

Postby Urrazeb » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:35 am

If the heater is in from the start it only has to maintain that temp. But when I run my 200L drums next to each other I swap the heater every fer days and it gets them up to temp no problem :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I have dropped a heater in stalled washes before and it's always done the job. Maybe a faulty heater? If you use a reputable brand you shouldn't have any problems
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby huggy_b » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:55 am

Geep, this is the yeast activity I had about an hour after I tipped in my yeast starter (40g of EC1118 in acouple of litres of 26C wash) and stirred it into my wash .

huggy_b

Postby Geeps » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:03 pm

Holy crap h_b got to be happy with that :handgestures-thumbupleft: good to see ya got a lot of head room there to play with :razz:

Just got my EC1118 yeast from the group buy today so i will be putting one on as soon as me mac rum is finished so i can use the heater for it.

Cheers and thanks for the udates lads :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Geeps

Postby res » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:19 pm

The TPW saga continued today, my solution to the cold was to run 40Lt of freshly boiled wort through my copper chiller immersed in the TPW.
Two birds.jpg

It worked a treat and raised the temp to a barmy 24°, next step was the addition of the electric blanket just to be sure the aquarium heater doesn't have to big a job.

So that's all good and she's bubbling away nicely, not so good was what happened to my thermometer. During the vigorous stirring I broke the bottom of the glass outer. The thermometer is still intact and working but a small collection of balls used to weigh it down have escaped into my wash.
I would assume these balls are lead, not an ideal thing to have in your wash. But I'm thinking even if they are lead and even if they leach some lead into the wash it won't be able to evaporate into the distillate once run.
What do you lads reckon?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
res

5lt copper pot still

Postby res » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:35 pm

Top photo should have been this one.
res

5lt copper pot still

Postby bayshine » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:56 pm

res wrote:The TPW saga continued today, my solution to the cold was to run 40Lt of freshly boiled wort through my copper chiller immersed in the TPW.
Two birds.jpg

It worked a treat and raised the temp to a barmy 24°, next step was the addition of the electric blanket just to be sure the aquarium heater doesn't have to big a job.

So that's all good and she's bubbling away nicely, not so good was what happened to my thermometer. During the vigorous stirring I broke the bottom of the glass outer. The thermometer is still intact and working but a small collection of balls used to weigh it down have escaped into my wash.
I would assume these balls are lead, not an ideal thing to have in your wash. But I'm thinking even if they are lead and even if they leach some lead into the wash it won't be able to evaporate into the distillate once run.
What do you lads reckon?

I've done the same thing with a hydrometer :roll:
I didn't think the lead would get in the final spirit ether so just run it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby Sam. » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:36 pm

res wrote: The thermometer is still intact and working but a small collection of balls used to weigh it down have escaped into my wash.
What do you lads reckon?

It's up to you what your comfortable with, but for me I don't think the lead is going to transfer so I would go with it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If your not comfortable with it though, ditch it
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Geeps » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:55 am

Well Res and h_b and anyone else interested this is how I put down my 200l TPW wash 3 days ago.

Ingredients:

40kg sugar
1.6kg tomato paste
2 tea spoons citric acid
3 Vitim B tablets grounded up
50 Grams of EC1118 yeast

Method:

1/ Put 25l of boiling water into 220l olive drum.
2/ Put 40kg sugar on top and stand on milk crate with a drill mixer to dissolve.(no paste yet so you can see if sugar is dissolved)
3/ Add tomato paste / citric acid and Vitim tablets and mix in until dissolved.
4/ Put yeast in 2l of 30c water with tea spoon of sugar and paste for ½ Hr to rehydrate.
5/ Fill drum up to 200l mark with high pressure from hose to aerate.
6/ should be around the 30c mark.
7/ Pitch the yeast and placed air lock on drum.
8/ I have put an aquarium heater in there @ 28c.

Took off no probs :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers for your input guys to get this one up and going
Geeps

Previous

Return to Sugar wash's