re-runing a turbo wash

Sugar wash info and questions

re-runing a turbo wash

Postby woodduck » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:33 pm

Hi all
I've got about 8ltrs of neutral spirts here (I wouldn't call it vodka) that came from a turbo wash when I first started and didn't know better that after 2 times through carbon at 48 hours each still smells and tastes like rocket fuel. I have since done a tpw and what a hell of a difference. I don't want to drink this other shit now and defiantly don't want to give it away. My question is can I put it back through my boka as low wines with a bit of other heads and tails I have sitting around? Will that clean it up, or will that smell still come through?
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Re: re-runing a turbo wash

Postby CH3CH2OH » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:40 pm

To spend the time trying to salvage 8 litres of shitty tasting turbo, personally I'd just chuck it out.

Spend the time on another batch of TPW and get a good product to start with.
CH3CH2OH

equipment: 4" copper 7 plate bubbler with packed section on a 50l boiler

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:46 pm

I assume you didn't make cuts the first time round?

I'd water it down to 20%, rerun it and make some harsh cuts and you just might get something drinkable... If not, it's you've learned something and gained some experience, and you can use the product to wash your windows or start your Weber :)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Kimbo » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:48 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:I assume you didn't make cuts the first time round?

I'd water it down to 20%, rerun it and make some harsh cuts and you just might get something drinkable... If not, it's you've learned something and gained some experience, and you can use the product to wash your windows or start your Weber :)

:text-+1: :text-imwithstupid:
Either that or chuck it in your lawnmower :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby woodduck » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:52 pm

Yer I made cuts but just feels wrong like I'm drinking metho. Mind you it does mellow a bit when I add essences. I mainly want neutrals for my scotch drinking friends so this stuff gives the wrong impression.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby TheMechwarrior » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:11 pm

woodduck wrote:Yer I made cuts but just feels wrong like I'm drinking metho. Mind you it does mellow a bit when I add essences. I mainly want neutrals for my scotch drinking friends so this stuff gives the wrong impression.

Trust your instincts on this one mate, there should be nothing unpleasant about a perfect neutral.
It will have a sweet bite to it and no objectionable odour or flavour.

Just do as Zak has suggested, Hell I'll be doing something similar myself!
I've got 5L of neutral sitting here that I obviously didn't cut hard enough on, so it's going in with the rest of the feints for the next neutral run.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby C2H6O » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:10 pm

Had the same problem myself mate, at the end of the day i decided a TPW is cheap so i would just put on another.
That stuff is a good solvent, its great for cleaning up silicone and numerous other things, it wont go to waste in the shed!!

I still have 2 x packs of turbo and 2 x turbo clear here, if anyone wants it, its yours for postage costs (you don't even have to except publicly :)) :)) just PM)..
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Postby bayshine » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:01 pm

Keep it for a cleaning run mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby crow » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:15 am

Ok champ well you have a pot still and want to give a good impression to ya scotch drinking buds, can I just say you do not have one fucking hope in hell of impressing anyone with neutral with some whiskey cordial crap and I don't care how neutral your neutral is end of story. If you want to make an impression use ya pot still and a whiskey recipe and do neutrals for drinks that require neutrals . Do re-run that stuff in your boka and use it for vodka , gin, ozo or any of several dozen drinks, just collect the hearts and toss the faints, turbo faints are not worth pissing about with
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby mudsta » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:02 am

crow wrote:Ok champ well you have a pot still and want to give a good impression to ya scotch drinking buds, can I just say you do not have one fucking hope in hell of impressing anyone with neutral with some whiskey cordial crap and I don't care how neutral your neutral is end of story. If you want to make an impression use ya pot still and a whiskey recipe and do neutrals for drinks that require neutrals . Do re-run that stuff in your boka and use it for vodka , gin, ozo or any of several dozen drinks, just collect the hearts and toss the faints, turbo faints are not worth pissing about with

:text-+1:
mudsta
Site Donor

equipment: 18 Gallon boiler- 2 x 2400W elements, VC, 5 star neutralizer

Postby woodduck » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:47 am

Fair call crow, good point. I was trying to cheat there a bit but using essence for scotch I guess it's cause I don't drink it and I wanted to get something out of my boka. I will look into a whiskey recipe. My farther in law does like ozo I guess that'll get me in the good books lol.
Thanks to you all for your comments they were all useful tips.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby SBB » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:08 pm

The Ouzo recipe we have in the T&P section works a treat Woody, give it a go and see what you think.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Return to Sugar wash's