Whats it called...

Sugar wash info and questions

Re: Whats it called...

Postby jaytendo » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:02 pm

In regards to tpw. I've found the answer in other forums. You add the tomato paste for nutrients right? For the yeast? I don't just like doing stuff because I am told to, even if the results are in fact better. Knowing why it affects the results will influence what I do more than a hundred testimonials will. I'm trying to get out of the oaked vodka thing anyway. Just using my vodka for the liqueurs that I make. I've had an attempt at rum and whiskey. Both minor failures due to my inexperience and inadequate gear. Its fun trying new stuff though. Thanks for your help guys :)
jaytendo

equipment: T500 with reflux and alembic
Vertaflow filter
Super 6 yeast
Dex wash

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:28 pm

Yes mate, the tomato paste is just cheap easy nutrient for the yeast :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby stenk » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:40 pm

I have just finished a run of TPW and have to say it is VERY neutral. Did take longer to ferment then a Turbo wash but certainly the way to go.

I might get some rum barrel chips and give this "Woody Vodka" a go! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
stenk

equipment: Euro 5 Reflux Still

Postby Bundaboy » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:57 pm

I stumbled over this "woody vodka" independently.

I struggled a little with the TPW to begin with as to my palette it seemed too sweet - I understand that to the Bourbon, rum, etc drinkers this is probably a plus, but for me, a whisky and gin/vodka Martini drinker it doesn't cut it.

Oaking it tamed the sweetness (presumably because of the tannic acid) but the oak also imparted a flavour that is very reminiscent of a whisky/whiskey by itself and is very drinkable (It is very possible that that is due to the make of oak chip I am using).

I now add to that a little of the Still Spirits top shelf Irish Whiskey essence and, if that was all I was allowed to drink from now until I shuffle off this mortal coil I don't think I would complain too much.

Oak = magic IMHO.
Bundaboy

equipment: MH-943/s water distiller
Some parts in the shed for something more "traditional", 2" MacBoka atop a 50L SS keg fitted with 2 x 2400W weldless elements (with guards).

Previous

Return to Sugar wash's