how much bi carb to add?

Sugar wash info and questions

how much bi carb to add?

Postby Johnny B Shiney » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:21 pm

Hey fellas

I have a fifth generation bwko fermenting and it is heaps slower bubbling than the previous generations.
I am informed it is lower ph because of adding the backset each generation and if I want to speed it up to add some bi carbonate of soda. I have heaps of bi carb here, so How much would you add? I am thinking a teaspoon and a good stir.
The fermenting size is a 30 litre wash and I have been adding 5 litres of backset and 4kg of sugar each generation.

The bubble is blurping about once every 4 to 5 seconds after being down for 2.5 days, and i dont intend to run it through the still for another 10 days, should I just leave it alone?
Im probably just worrying over nothing but this is the first time ive gotten to 5th gen and dont want to stuff up now.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Johnny B Shiney

equipment: pot still

Re: how much bi carb to add?

Postby Meatheadinc » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:39 pm

Johnny b
sounds to me like you should leave it alone. worry about pH next ferment or if it stalled
bi carb = sodium bicarbonate. This will lower ph although you will introduce salt (sodium salt) as a one off this probably wont hurt burt experience with soda ash (sodium carbonate- works faster than bicarb) over multiple gens had problems, I am guessing was salt build up.
Calcium carbonate is what you require. crushed sea shells - shell grit is a good pH buffer
Meatheadinc

equipment: 2" LM/VM on 30L boiler
4" FSD Neutraliser 50L boiler
4" carter head thump column
"Control Freak"- Semi Automation

Postby BIG D » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:05 pm

It's upto you if you wanna use bi carb I prefer to use hydrated lime stuff I've used bi carb before and wash smelt like drain cleaner. Just my 2c ;-)
Any ph adjustment should be checked I find cheap ph strips work in lighter colour washes but no good for rum etc aim for between 4.5 and 5.5 :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Postby gad » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:09 pm

Johnny B Shiney wrote:Hey fellas

The bubble is blurping about once every 4 to 5 seconds after being down for 2.5 days, and i dont intend to run it through the still for another 10 days, should I just leave it alone?

I would, sounds like it's doing just fine 2 me.
gad

equipment: pre 2005 - 25L Reflux / Pot Still,
Mar 2019 - 1.5" Reflux Still.
Aug 2019 - 2" self built Reflux / Pot still.
50L Keg boiler.

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:31 pm

I've run up to gen 7 or 8, with CFW (theory remains the same though) and I know that other guys have run dozens of gens of UJ/BWKO without even checking the PH.

Keep it simple, you're doing fine.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby res » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:01 pm

Sounds like it will ferment out ok, i'd get a ph meter and maybe use a little less backset next gen if needed.
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Postby Johnny B Shiney » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:02 pm

Thanks fellas
I will leave it alone until i know more about it.
A ph meter is on the cards for later and I will get right into eventually, maybe when I have a few generation spirit runs under my belt.
There is so much to learn, in the last few weeks I have read every pot still thread and every reflux still thread and now starting on the plated still threads.
Johnny B Shiney

equipment: pot still

Postby Teddysad » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:53 am

Meatheadinc wrote:Johnny b

bi carb = sodium bicarbonate. This will lower ph

Not quite correct it will raise pH Citric acid will lower it
Last edited by Sam. on Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby Meatheadinc » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:56 am

@ Teddysad. :oops:
Your correct. It will raise the pH or lower acidity.
Meatheadinc

Postby Stoney » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:05 pm

used bicarb in last 3 of a 6 gen rum as pH was under 4. need quite a quantity, almost half a cup to get pH up around 5 again. add slowly though and stir and wait, it WILL foam up insanely.
Stoney

equipment: 55l nixon stone 1 3/8 column, propane + electric
2" pot column

Postby flamehawk » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:07 pm

Stoney wrote:used bicarb in last 3 of a 6 gen rum as pH was under 4. need quite a quantity, almost half a cup to get pH up around 5 again. add slowly though and stir and wait, it WILL foam up insanely.

I just added some to a wash that was taking far to long. Yeah; insanely means its over my fucken floor and i have a huge mess to clean up tomorrow :laughing-rolling:

Was like that mentos thing in the diet coke. Anyway i tried to slam the lid on and failed. It just shot up to the roof and sprayed fucken everywhere.

Folks, don't just tip it in from the box unless you want to spend all weekend cleaning up. :violin:
flamehawk

equipment: 4 plate custom built bubbler
50k Keg
2400w element

Postby bt1 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:39 am

Geez Flame that is learning the trade the hard way...but it will only happen once :handgestures-thumbupleft:

A few issues here...

Best to add before yeast is pitched, avoiding yeast getting caught up in exothermic/chemical reaction
If you need to adjust , small amounts regularly is the go
A buffer works better than just a one off shot of bicarb.. Google: buffering whisky washes+Dr+Who

One wanted side effect of using carb/ buffers is it tends to compact the yeast bed making syphoning off a pleasure.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby WicketNut » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:04 am

I had similar problem with three different washes, all on their 5th generation.

I didn't want to use any salts, but not convinced that was for any good reason. Anyway, I got calcium carbonate and used that, but the trouble with it is getting it to dissolve (think chalk in cold water). Lots of stirring.

Not sure how effective I have been yet. :whistle:
WicketNut

equipment: Copper T500, FSD 4" pot, 25 ltr boiler
100 ltr pro fsd boiler 4 bubble plates, gin baskets
8" inline thumper, not enough space

Postby Stoney » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:54 pm

i had a taste of my second gen backset from a cornflakes wash, this one had bicarb added on week 2 as it was very slow and yeh its noticeably salty. still took 3 weeks to finish a ferment at room temp.
nice and sour though, but very salty.
I was going to bin the lot and start first gen again but figured I had backset and a yeast bed, so nothing clever, just threw more water in, 4kg of sugar and gave it a stir. it also seems to have a dose of fruitfly.. i doubt they drink much though.
Stoney

equipment: 55l nixon stone 1 3/8 column, propane + electric
2" pot column

Postby Andy » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:10 pm

WicketNut wrote:I had similar problem with three different washes, all on their 5th generation.

I didn't want to use any salts, but not convinced that was for any good reason. Anyway, I got calcium carbonate and used that, but the trouble with it is getting it to dissolve (think chalk in cold water). Lots of stirring.

Not sure how effective I have been yet. :whistle:

:text-+1: on calcium carbonate. i think bicarb leads to a bit of unwanted chemical taste

from homedistiller.org
"It's OK to add baking soda or other alkali to a STRIPPED wash, but NEVER put it in the primary ferment and then distill. If you do, and your still contains ANY copper, you will severely corrode the copper, and get blue, ammonia-smelling distillate. Not fun!

Why? Yeast and yeast nutrient both contain lots of ammonium salts (like DAP), which are very stable under acidic conditions, but which release lots of ammonia as the approach neutral conditions. Actually, you will start getting ammonia at about pH 5! Ammonia gas is very corrosive to copper, and you will find your condenser coil packed up with blue crystals after such a run (and blue alcohol too !)"
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Meatheadinc » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:24 am

WicketNut wrote: got calcium carbonate and used that, but the trouble with it is getting it to dissolve (think chalk in cold water). Lots of stirring.

Calcium carbonate is not easily dissolved in water although will easily dissolve in the presents of carbon dioxide. the fermentation process will produce the CO2. throw some sea shells/ calcium carbonate in the wash and it will buffer as it ferments.

does anyone use a sodium citrate or potassium citrate buffers in their washes ??
Meatheadinc

Postby vqstatesman » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:48 pm

How many calcium capsules are people using? My rum wash was turned rather acidic :(
vqstatesman

equipment: 4" Bubbler
150L Pressurised Bain Marie with built in agitator
50L Milk Can Boiler for small runs (feints)
T500 boiler repurposed as oversized decanter
Grainfather in the corner collecting dust

Postby Andy » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:12 am

vqstatesman wrote:How many calcium capsules are people using? My rum wash was turned rather acidic :(

depends on how acidic it is. IMO its best to add a little bit, stir and measure, add some more, stir and measure.
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby wynnum1 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:38 am

potassium hydroxide may be worth looking at .
wynnum1

Postby vqstatesman » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:06 am

Andy wrote:
vqstatesman wrote:How many calcium capsules are people using? My rum wash was turned rather acidic :(

depends on how acidic it is. IMO its best to add a little bit, stir and measure, add some more, stir and measure.

I realize my question is subjective. I was looking for a rough guide as in: xx tables to shift xx Liters by 1 PH etc
vqstatesman

equipment: 4" Bubbler
150L Pressurised Bain Marie with built in agitator
50L Milk Can Boiler for small runs (feints)
T500 boiler repurposed as oversized decanter
Grainfather in the corner collecting dust

Next

Return to Sugar wash's