Adding wash to spirit run

Sugar wash info and questions

Adding wash to spirit run

Postby Johnny B Shiney » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:57 pm

Hey fellas
I searched but cant find anything, im sure I remember reading somewhere about keeping some of the fifth generation wash aside and not stripping it, so as to add it to the spirit run for some added flavour. Is this correct? and how much?

I was thinking of keeping 5 litres of the 5th gen aside (before stripping the rest) and adding it to say 40 litres of 40% low wines for the spirit run (BWKO). Am I close?

Thanks
Johnny B Shiney

equipment: pot still

Re: Adding wash to spirit run

Postby Andy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:11 pm

Johnny B Shiney wrote:Hey fellas
I searched but cant find anything, im sure I remember reading somewhere about keeping some of the fifth generation wash aside and not stripping it, so as to add it to the spirit run for some added flavour. Is this correct? and how much?

I was thinking of keeping 5 litres of the 5th gen aside (before stripping the rest) and adding it to say 40 litres of 40% low wines for the spirit run (BWKO). Am I close?

Thanks

you can do that if you want, it depends on how flavoursome you want the final product to be. for a rum i did i used 2 gens of 40L stripped and added to the 3rd gen of 20L, this was because the molasses was extremely sweet, and i wanted as much of that to be carried across (you could almost drink the wash!). for the BWKO i did i stripped all 5 gens and did a spirit run.
so you gotta ask, is the wash delicious, does the low wines smell flavoursome enough?
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Re: Adding wash to spirit run

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:49 pm

All depends on what your after. But it also depends on where your cuts are too.

The low wines will have enough flavour if you ran deep into tails,

5L sounds about right if your after a more flavoursome drop :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Return to Sugar wash's