double distilling a TPW

Sugar wash info and questions

double distilling a TPW

Postby choppy » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:37 pm

I was chatting with CRB the other day and he suggested I run a TPW thru my pot, water it down and re-run it through my reflux.

I like the idea and will give it a go this week.

For those of you who have done this, can you give me a heads up as to what to expect?
choppy

equipment: PD reflux still
home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Re: double distilling a TPW

Postby Beer Belly » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:45 pm

Where you not happy with the product produced by the reflux?
Beer Belly

equipment: FSD Equalizer Modular Still
100 Ltr FSD Pro Boiler.
2 x 2400w Elements
and some other bits and pieces.

Postby peterhobit » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:08 pm

I double distilled some TPW a while back, so neutral!! when I diluted it down to 40% I could not believe how good it was. No smell and a big kick, had to double check the abv because I thought it was water. I wanted a prime neutral to make some gin and it was fantastic.
peterhobit

equipment: 5SD six plate bubbler with packed section a Gin caddy + 5SD 60 liter boiler

Postby choppy » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:32 pm

I am happy with the product I get now, but I was also happy for HBS chips prior to trying real oak.

I suppose I just wanted to know if i was wasting my time.

I use the neutral to make Mrs Mac Kaluha and vodka drinks for my wife.
choppy

equipment: PD reflux still
home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Postby Muppet » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:47 pm

Yeah theres a lot of guys who do this. I'm yet to try it but its on my list. Read many times that it is a significant jump forward.
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby the Doctor » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:27 pm

I promise you that if you get into the habit of stripping then running a second spirit run, you will be awarded with a lifetime of excellent artisan spirits which will rival the very best in the world... there is no product that is better left unstripped. The other aspect is that, combined with judicious cutting...it assures a very pure product...so when you are visiting your old single run distilling mates in the renal unit at the hospital, you can smugly know that you valued life enough to not drink poorly distilled spirits. Please give it a go ...you will not look back. Take care.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby MacStill » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:44 pm

Take it from me the renal unit is no fun place to be, although my kidney problems aren't alcohol related I wouldn't wish the pain of kidney operations on anyone. :handgestures-thumbdown:

P9181828.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby WTDist » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:40 pm

I havent got a pot still yet. should i do double distilling with my t500? even with harsh cuts?
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby benpandaae86 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:52 pm

I did back to back stripping runs of tpw (2 x 50l) in my potstill and then watered down to below 40% ran through my reflux and is great such a massive difference ova hbs yeast and single runs i wont be goin back worth the extra work :handgestures-thumbupleft:
benpandaae86

equipment: 50l keg boiler 3600w element power controler
Reflux with extension tower with adaptor for keg
2" SS pot still modified leibig condenser
next mission building the next one (probably a 4" bubbler)

Postby Andy » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:56 pm

my pot is 50L and my uncles reflux is 30L or so, therefore i always strip with the pot and then run through the reflux just because it is quicker then doing 2 reflux runs. i find it easier to determine cuts when there is more product.
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby dickdastardly » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:23 pm

but do we not single distil rums and bourbons? why be so harsh on single distilled tpw? would u be double distilling tpw even if you were using a plated Colum for the distillation?

I don't doubt double distilling is better, just I don't think a tpw distilled once is going to send u to the renal unit

the Doctor wrote:I promise you that if you get into the habit of stripping then running a second spirit run, you will be awarded with a lifetime of excellent artisan spirits which will rival the very best in the world... there is no product that is better left unstripped. The other aspect is that, combined with judicious cutting...it assures a very pure product...so when you are visiting your old single run distilling mates in the renal unit at the hospital, you can smugly know that you valued life enough to not drink poorly distilled spirits. Please give it a go ...you will not look back. Take care.
Doc
dickdastardly

equipment: 2" boka reflux

Postby Muppet » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:34 pm

dickdastardly wrote:but do we not single distil rums and bourbons? why be so harsh on single distilled tpw? would u be double distilling tpw even if you were using a plated Colum for the distillation?

I don't doubt double distilling is better, just I don't think a tpw distilled once is going to send u to the renal unit

the Doctor wrote:I promise you that if you get into the habit of stripping then running a second spirit run, you will be awarded with a lifetime of excellent artisan spirits which will rival the very best in the world... there is no product that is better left unstripped. The other aspect is that, combined with judicious cutting...it assures a very pure product...so when you are visiting your old single run distilling mates in the renal unit at the hospital, you can smugly know that you valued life enough to not drink poorly distilled spirits. Please give it a go ...you will not look back. Take care.
Doc

Doc just explained he strips and second distilles whiskeys too, If you not familiar with the Doc he is a very experienced high end distiller. I belive he uses 5 Star columns too.
I've recently started stripping TPW's and second running with the T500. There is definite quality gains.
Muppet

Postby Muppet » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:38 pm

I happen to be stripping one right now :happy-partydance:

Muppet

Postby dickdastardly » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:20 pm

no doubt there's gains to be had double distilling, but is single really so bad?
dickdastardly

equipment: 2" boka reflux

Postby CH3CH2OH » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:28 pm

After Doc explained to me the benefits of a strip run followed by a low wines spirit run for TPW I've never looked back.

Wouldn't do it any other way!! I think if you are questioning the benefits you probably haven't tried it!!

Give it a go and compare the results, you'll be glad you did. Well worth the extra time
Last edited by CH3CH2OH on Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CH3CH2OH

equipment: 4" copper 7 plate bubbler with packed section on a 50l boiler

Postby the Doctor » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:28 pm

dickdastardly wrote:no doubt there's gains to be had double distilling, but is single really so bad?

I promise that the quality gains are real and obvious, but it is the gains to the quality of spirit that our bodies have to ingest that make this worthwhile...more distillation = less congeners = less work for your renal system. Taste is also improved. a win all round.
Cheers
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby stretch69 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:03 pm

I recently re ran a large batch through my bubbler because i wasnt happy with my cuts (another story),
So basically i ended up with a product that had been run through my 5 plate packed section bubbler twice.
This stuff is amazing, I've given some to heaps of people and they can't get over the quality of it, its been compared to top shelf vodka's. I know I'm really proud of it and I'll probably be doing this way in the future.
stretch69

equipment: 4" 4 plate FSD Bubbler!
50l Boiler

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:58 pm

Stripped TPW (or any neutral) and then spirit ran (through the neutralser) is as clean as you get.

For flavoured gear (kaluah, spd, limoncello etc) then single pass is fine IMHO

But doc raises a valid concern re health issues, if your in control of making it why not make the best possible products :think:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby viking » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:20 pm

Hey All,
With my 4 inch SSG I have run the following recipes;

McRum
BWKO
TPW
Wheatbix wash

I've tried stripping on all recipes (pot still mode) then run through different configurations and found what suits me personally.

McRum - stripping and then running through the bubbler seems to remove too much flavour for me. I have found that 1 run through 5 plates is the ideal set up.
BWKO - same as McRum recipes.
TPW - strip and then run through 5 plates and packed section is my preference for making Gin. I have also put TPW through 2 runs in 5 plates and packed section mode for 'heart of hearts' with no significant gain that I can see with the gins.
Wheatbix wash - same as TPW - strip then 5 plates and a packed section.
viking

equipment: FSD 4 inch SSG 5 plates with packed section and 100L FSD boiler.

Postby MacStill » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:37 pm

the Doctor wrote:
dickdastardly wrote:no doubt there's gains to be had double distilling, but is single really so bad?

I promise that the quality gains are real and obvious, but it is the gains to the quality of spirit that our bodies have to ingest that make this worthwhile...more distillation = less congeners = less work for your renal system. Taste is also improved. a win all round.
Cheers
Doc

Not to mention the massive hearts cut from running low wines, and consistency of product :handgestures-thumbupleft:

It's been said many times before too, that strip runs followed by a nice slow sprit run is less time consuming in the end..... :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I'm not a neutral maker apart from maybe 2 runs per year from feints collected of various products, I also make a lemon vodka that is passed once through 4 plates that blows people away, but I digress.

For neutrals, strip n spirit is a non argument really, home hobby or commercial your product is going to be much better with more consistency :handgestures-thumbupleft:

A big :text-+1: for what Doc says above :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Next

Return to Sugar wash's