Old beer trick but!

Sugar wash info and questions

Old beer trick but!

Postby gemini2544 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:17 pm

Hey guy's I have had a ball making houch & enjoying it, thanks to Aussie Distillers. Anyway! a thought came to me about clearing before distilling. Can you use Gelatine as a finnings like in Beer to claer a wash?..hic!
gemini2544

equipment: a Copper reflux still ("Spirit Maker") a 60lt fermentor, a 5000lt water tank for recirculation cooling.

Re: Old beer trick but!

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:20 pm

You can, but most don't bother... Just let it sit for a few days :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby gemini2544 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:22 pm

Fantasic!
gemini2544

equipment: a Copper reflux still ("Spirit Maker") a 60lt fermentor, a 5000lt water tank for recirculation cooling.

Postby bt1 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:03 am

Gem,

A lot of us also reuse the same yeast bed for second and subsequent washes, reducing costs but mainly for flavour and yeast performance...it's a trained focused beast by generation 2. A couple of good reasons to just use settling time.

bt1
Last edited by The Stig on Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby gemini2544 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:51 am

bt1 wrote:Gem,

A lot of us also reuse the same yeast bed for second and subsequent washes, reducing costs but mainly for flavour and yeast performance...it's a trained focused beast by generation 2. A couple of good reasons to just use settling time. bt1

Yes, I did the same thing brewing beer, Do you refrigerate the used Yeast in sealed jars? I assume it's the same method.
gemini2544

Postby mattcoffs » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:08 am

Yeah i don't bother either. I let settle and syphon through a strainer to catch any grain/thick sludge that accidentally gets sucked up.
Can understand clearing beer (even though i drink cloudy Coopers) but no point for me when distilling. The still does a pretty good job of clearing! Providing of course theres not a bunch of burning yeast on the bottom during your run!
mattcoffs

equipment: T500 boiler. 2" boka. 2" pot. 100ltr SS stockpot boiler build

Postby Marbled » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:44 am

mattcoffs wrote:Yeah i don't bother either. I let settle and syphon through a strainer to catch any grain/thick sludge that accidentally gets sucked up.
Can understand clearing beer (even though i drink cloudy Coopers) but no point for me when distilling. The still does a pretty good job of clearing! Providing of course theres not a bunch of burning yeast on the bottom during your run!

Just you wait until you're an old git like me and the gout strikes, you'll suddenly get very anal about those little beasts in the beer.

I often chuck some finings into a wash if I can't be bothered with the extra few days wait or if I "need" to do the run that day. I use gelatin, it's cheap.
Marbled

equipment: Bog standard T500, which is what got me into this, without it I wouldn't have bothered.

Postby Whiskyaugogo » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:02 pm

bt1 wrote:Gem,

A lot of us also reuse the same yeast bed for second and subsequent washes, reducing costs but mainly for flavour and yeast performance...it's a trained focused beast by generation 2. A couple of good reasons to just use settling time.

bt1

:text-+1:
Whiskyaugogo
Site Donor

equipment: To be updated

Postby Geeps » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:06 pm

Marbled wrote:
mattcoffs wrote:Yeah i don't bother either. I let settle and syphon through a strainer to catch any grain/thick sludge that accidentally gets sucked up.

Just you wait until you're an old git like me and the gout strikes, you'll suddenly get very anal about those little beasts in the beer.

I often chuck some finings into a wash if I can't be bothered with the extra few days wait or if I "need" to do the run that day. I use gelatin, it's cheap.

Progout tablet once a day marbled will sort you out. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

15 years of pain at least twice a week in ankles / wrist / knees / fingers / toes ect ect and all it takes to fix it is a tablet a day to sort out the uric acid,

and then you can do what ever you want. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Geeps

equipment: Rose oil extractor

Postby Marbled » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:59 pm

Geeps wrote:
Marbled wrote:

Progout tablet once a day marbled will sort you out. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

15 years of pain at least twice a week in ankles / wrist / knees / fingers / toes ect ect and all it takes to fix it is a tablet a day to sort out the uric acid,

and then you can do what ever you want. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Sounds great, is it over the counter or prescription?
Marbled

equipment: Bog standard T500, which is what got me into this, without it I wouldn't have bothered.

Return to Sugar wash's