Molasses wash not bubbling faulty fermenter

Sugar wash info and questions

Molasses wash not bubbling faulty fermenter

Postby bluc » Mon May 18, 2015 10:53 am

Mee being a tight arse decieded to use bunnings barrels instead of buying a fermenter anyway after two days its not bubbling through airlock but appears to be fermenting. Would it be normal for a mollases wash to reach 10%abv in just two days? I followed the tried and proven reciepe 3/ mollasses(stock feed) 3kg sugar pinch of epsom salts top up to 21L.

I posted a pic see below I have a line next to my readings bottom one original gravity top line current. Can someone just check that I am reading the hydrometer right and let me know if possible to reach 10%abv in just two days. If currect is it ok to transfer the wash into a known working fermenter? or should I just leave it alone and check progress with hydrometer. I just don't want air getting in and ruining the wash. Thanks for the help.

bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Re: Molasses wash not bubbling faulty fermenter

Postby Camikaze » Mon May 18, 2015 11:02 am

Mate, molasses washes are notorious for giving false hydrometer readings. Too many solid unfermentables in the molasses. Just go by taste. If its dry, run that sucker. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Ive got a rum wash thats been sitting for 4 weeks now and still showing 1040. I know its done though because of the taste.

Oh, i dont use fermenters either. Ive used 200l water barrels, eskies plastic tubs etc. Shouldnt matter as long as its food safe.
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby Camikaze » Mon May 18, 2015 11:03 am

On that, how warm is your wash? Molasses ferments like a bastard when warm :D
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby bluc » Mon May 18, 2015 11:05 am

Will wait till its dry. Only sitting on 24 degrees started it at 28 degrees saturday morning. Was worried that the fermenter may be sucking air and it would end up sour/off.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon May 18, 2015 11:08 am

Forget the airlock mate, most of us just use glad wrap (pallet wrap is better if you can get it) and a rubber band to seal the fermenters

As said, rum wash is a bit tricky to measure with a hydrometer due to the unfermentable sugars in it. If you keep it hot, a good rum will ferment in a couple of days ;-)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby bluc » Mon May 18, 2015 11:14 am

Zak Griffin wrote:Forget the airlock mate, most of us just use glad wrap (pallet wrap is better if you can get it) and a rubber band to seal the fermenters

As said, rum wash is a bit tricky to measure with a hydrometer due to the unfermentable sugars in it. If you keep it hot, a good rum will ferment in a couple of days ;-)

How does co2 escape if sealed with glad wrap and a rubber band? Does the rubber band give enough to let it escape? Just curious..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon May 18, 2015 12:17 pm

Yeah mate, it finds a way :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Being able to see into the wash let's you see if the wash is still fermenting ;-)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Jakev1988 » Fri May 22, 2015 7:07 pm

For a 21l rum wash what size fermenters are used? I have a few I used for beer which held 24l with space reason I ask is I've read they can be very aggressive fermenters and make a mess if they blow out

Cheers jake
Jakev1988

equipment: Brand new alembic still with turbo 500 boiler

Looking to build a reflux once I get established

Postby Urrazeb » Fri May 22, 2015 7:21 pm

Camikaze wrote:Mate, molasses washes are notorious for giving false hydrometer readings. Too many solid unfermentables in the molasses. Just go by taste. If its dry, run that sucker. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Ive got a rum wash thats been sitting for 4 weeks now and still showing 1040. I know its done though because of the taste.

Oh, i dont use fermenters either. Ive used 200l water barrels, eskies plastic tubs etc. Shouldnt matter as long as its food safe.

Partly right Camakaze, though the reading is not traditionally what we have come to expect, ie: 1080 down to 990, the drop is still the same.

And yeah it is possible for a rum to get to 10% in two days, that's fast (esp in this weather) but not impossible.

Too many people rely on indicators for their washes, you must look, feel and listen.

Look for movement of the wash
Feel the temperature of the wash
Listen for fizzing sounds

Any of the above and she is still working.
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby bluc » Sat May 23, 2015 7:20 pm

Jakev1988 wrote:For a 21l rum wash what size fermenters are used? I have a few I used for beer which held 24l with space reason I ask is I've read they can be very aggressive fermenters and make a mess if they blow out

Cheers jake

I use a 30l no probs with blow out went no where near the top.. but its only my first molasses wash will put down a second tomorrow or monday in preperation for the big day :) Anyone who is interested here is what I ended up with.

Rum
First batch hydrometer temp
1.120 @ 34 degrees hydrometer temp adjusted 1.123 start
1.041 2nd day 24 degrees hydrometer temp adjusted 1.042
1.031 4th day 28 degrees hydrometer temp adjusted 1.033
1.021 5th day 22 degrees hydrometer temp adjusted 1.021
1.021 6th day 18 degrees hydrometer temp adjusted 1.021
13.39% abv
I have read that a lot of un fermentables in molasses can through out hydrometer and alchometer readings? If so why do most threads say to collect to a certain percent or use a distilling parrot to get % readings during collection? I guess its just a guide...
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Sam. » Sun May 24, 2015 8:09 am

Not sure what your question really is?

A parrot is usually used to tell you when you should shut the still off and also to monitor what us happening during the run.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Urrazeb » Sun May 24, 2015 3:23 pm

The unfermentables do not make their way to the parrot with the distillate. The hydrometer reading will never tell true on a molasses wash, the alcometer reading always should if you have considered temp correction, and your alco is accurate of course.
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby bluc » Sun May 24, 2015 3:27 pm

Urrazeb wrote:The unfermentables do not make their way to the parrot with the distillate. The hydrometer reading will never tell true on a molasses wash, the alcometer reading always should if you have considered temp correction, and your alco is accurate of course.

Ok thanks that confirmed what I was thinking last night after posting didn't make sense to me as I was trying to work out why there would be un-fermentables after the stilling process. Thanks!!
bluc
Site Donor

Return to Sugar wash's