Sealing fermenters

Sugar wash info and questions

Sealing fermenters

Postby BNS Bootlegn' » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:38 am

hey guys was just checking in on how crazy you have to go when sealing fermenters. I have just started running an aquarium heater inside mine and it works a treat for keeping temp but I am struggling to get the fermenter to seal with the cord coming out. I have glad wrapped around the lid and used sparky tape to try and seal it but it still doesn't want to, so any ideas on making it better or will I be safe to run it as is. :text-thankyoublue:
BNS Bootlegn'

equipment: Turbo 500 (for now) looking into building a keg boiler and my own pot still

Re: Sealing fermenters

Postby woodduck » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:50 am

You'll be right mate, i just use the rubber seal out of the lid. Infection isn't too much of a problem with distilling. If it's not sealed all that well you just may not want to leave it too long once its finished that's all, maybe take the heater out and throw the lid on if you need to store it for a while.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby BNS Bootlegn' » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:58 am

Cheers woody! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BNS Bootlegn'

equipment: Turbo 500 (for now) looking into building a keg boiler and my own pot still

Postby CyBaThUg » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:15 pm

I bought a clothing elastic tied that up around the glad wrap on my 200 ltr fermenter works a treat
CyBaThUg

equipment: pot still

Postby BNS Bootlegn' » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:00 pm

Ended up drilling a hole in the lid for the cord and got a sparky to put a new plug on it and sealed up the hole with food grade silicone
BNS Bootlegn'

Postby P3T3rPan » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:46 am

BNS Bootlegn' wrote:Ended up drilling a hole in the lid for the cord and got a sparky to put a new plug on it and sealed up the hole with food grade silicone

Excellent
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby toil » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:24 pm

I just bought a silicon bung from the local homebrew place. It has a hole predrilled like this one:

bung.jpg

I then just cut it through on one side so I could slip the chord through. Never had a problem with fermentation with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
toil

equipment: 3" VM still
2" pot still
Pure distilling reflux still gathering dust

Return to Sugar wash's