Stalled TPW Due to cold

Sugar wash info and questions

Stalled TPW Due to cold

Postby BNS Bootlegn' » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:53 pm

hey guys just got a 25ltr TPW going at the moment it was bubbling away happily when my dog went into the room and pulled out the cord for the fish tank heater in it it has cooled down to 14 degrees and it isn't far off done gravity of 1200 ish is it worth warming it back up and re pitching the yeast if so how much and what's the best way to do it, or should I just cut my losses and still it off maybe filtering it first or something. thanks heaps
BNS Bootlegn'

equipment: Turbo 500 (for now) looking into building a keg boiler and my own pot still

Re: Stalled TPW Due to cold

Postby jacobraven » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:54 pm

Mine stalled so i bought an aquarium heater during it and plonked it in and it went fine done in a few days XD
jacobraven

equipment: 100 Litre Milk Can
Neutralizer
2 2400w

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:57 pm

You mean it's at 1020?

Chuck the heater back in and it will probably get up and go again :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby BNS Bootlegn' » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:05 pm

Yeah sorry just saw that typo haha I have the heater cranked up again now
BNS Bootlegn'

equipment: Turbo 500 (for now) looking into building a keg boiler and my own pot still

Postby williewonker » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:33 pm

suffered a similar fate, set a TPW to go before I left for Darwin 4wks ago, come back thinking it would be o.k, should have taken it up there with me... a quick niff and taste test reveal the ferment stalled not long after I left. Restarted it and have the heat belt "plugged in" to the timer this time... :?

I have an aquarium laying about, are they the go?
williewonker

equipment: t-500 boiler with 2" pot still liebig style & a 5ltr SS reflux.

Postby Teddysad » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:24 pm

Heat belt should do the job
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby newbiboozer » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:52 pm

I put a couple of TPWs on the other day with EC1118 yeast they are bubbling away happily at 18 degrees no heat required. I'm happy with this as I believe this yeast is happy at this temp and the bit extra cost of yeast you can save in power running the heater.
newbiboozer

equipment: 4" modular plated column in very early stages.

Postby stenk » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:03 am

I put on a TPW 25L (5KG Sugar OG 1080) on Sunday.

I have mine in a hot water cupboard that is pretty much 20-22 C. It started bubbling about 30 mins after I pitched the yeast and is still going crazy! I was hoping to run it this weekend due to the temps, but won't test the FG till it stops bubbling. Wife is pissed due to the lack of space, and bakers shop smell in the HW cupboard, but she does admit it smells better then my last Turbo\ wash...
stenk

equipment: Euro 5 Reflux Still

Postby WTDist » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:07 am

My wife hates the smell of them all :laughing-rolling:

Idea for the smell to go away if you like...
i have 2 fermenters side by side with 2 small hoses going into the airlocks on both. These 2 hoses meet up in a tee section to form one hose that i run outside through an opening neat to garage door. This way i cant smell anything and all that co2 is going outside. Just stick the hoses on with duck-tape or something
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:55 pm

I like ta leave the hydrometer in the wash and have glad wrap with a couple of pin holes over the top with an elastic band,that way you can check it without removeing the lid,it's a tip I got from a book on home brew beer,only problem was I had to buy a couple more hydrometer's.cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:26 pm

That's what I do, Billy :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Just don't forget to take the hydrometer out if you need to give the wash a stir... (Just something I worke... Learnt from a mate :oops: )
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby stenk » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:02 pm

hillzabilly wrote:I like ta leave the hydrometer in the wash and have glad wrap with a couple of pin holes over the top with an elastic band,that way you can check it without removeing the lid,it's a tip I got from a book on home brew beer,only problem was I had to buy a couple more hydrometer's.cheers hillzabilly

Wow never thought of that! :clap: Great idea.
stenk

equipment: Euro 5 Reflux Still

Postby WTDist » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:52 pm

yes that is a good idea. Ill be trying that. Ill have to think of a way to get the smell outside though :think:
WTDist

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:03 pm

Bunnings does a 150mm extractor fan set up pretty cheap.cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby valkorum » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:15 am

If you distil a stalled wash would you get a considerably reduced yield?
valkorum

equipment: 5 Star 4" Pot. Still need to find funds to buy bubble plates

Postby Sam. » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:17 am

valkorum wrote:If you distil a stalled wash would you get a considerably reduced yield?

Depends how far along it stalled, if it was near the end it would be minimal but if it was at the start then yeah you wouldn't get much
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby WTDist » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:55 am

I ran 2 weet bix wash the other week that had stalled. It was one i rehydrated 25grams of yeast for and then it got hit with the cold however my next one didnt stall its ready now :D
Anyway i usally get maybe 3.2L including fores from a 25L wash on T500 strip pass and the stalled wash got maybe 2.6L or something. I think it had a finished gravity of 1.000 or something. my SG meter thing is crap, wont go to .99 ofr up to 1.08 or whatever. cheap still spirits one that come with my still. :violence-smack:

Anyway with a gravity of 1.00 compared to .99 i had lost about 500ml of product.
Hope this helps
WTDist

Postby HoochHound » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:51 pm

If your brew is getting too cold and you want to keep it just a couple of degrees warmer, this seems to work for me.

Probably not a good idea with a bigger batch though.

HoochHound

equipment: T500 - Yep, I'm a newbie! :)

Return to Sugar wash's