Salted wash?

Sugar wash info and questions

Salted wash?

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:17 am

Sitting waiting for a Tpw to heat up lead me to wonder about adding salt to the wash before boiling in order to reduce heat up time, it certainly works on the stove top for boiling water. However Writing this may have answered my own question. I'm sure it would reduce the boiling point of the water but may not affect the BP of the alcohol. Or it might affect the differing elements of the wash differently, ie ethanol/ oils etc. might blur them or might separate them better or do nothing.
anyone know anything about salt and its affect on other substances? And don't just say it'll make them salty :teasing-neener:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Re: Salted wash?

Postby dogbreath vodka » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:41 am

Sounds like an experiment to me.
Keep records of a wash without added salt and then another with (remembering to record how much was added)

Let us know how you go.
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Re: Salted wash?

Postby WTDist » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:46 am

I looked into this, you will reequire a lot of salt in order to make a difference. I found it not to be worth it. Ill try find the link
Edit, here is one right off the bat, not the one i read a while back but still a good one
http://mentalfloss.com/article/60046/does-adding-salt-water-make-it-boil-sooner

Here is the google search too
https://www.google.com/search?q=salt+in+boiling+water&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Like low wines the more alc you have the lower the boiling point is. same with salt. to get a higher boiling point you need a very large amount, an amount im not going to put it. imagine a wash with 25% salt and 75% water. yuk
or 25% salt 35% water and 40% low wines. I would imagine the temp not so high with this one as the salt will rise the temp and low wines bring it back down

either way a pinch wont work
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Return to Sugar wash's