Infections and problems

Sugar wash info and questions

Infections and problems

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:18 pm

Just tasting my NGW that had a fly in it.
It's been pot stilled in my new still and then refluxed through a t500 for a spirit run. Spirit run was half NGW and half tpw, thought there shouldn't be any change in taste when using a reflux but there is defiantly a
Strong taste to it, this is my first venture away from tpw but still, reflux, should be no taste. Proper hearts cuts were done, to my ability anyway. Thinking a cordial additive will mask the flavour but really just concerned that if it had an infection, could it be harmful? Not too worried about me, I'm chewing on a glass right now but won't pour the missus any if it's no good?
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Re: Infections and problems

Postby WTDist » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:53 am

i think its fine. The T500 wont get rid of all the taste. after running such a large packed section i find the smaller ones still carry flavor over. i ran fast once with high abv and it had a strong flavor still. i double distill my neutral now with reflux and packing both runs. i find with my new still i can strip with high abv just as fast as strip in pot mode. 2.5 L per hour of 90-95% is just as good as 4-5 L per hour of 50% for neutrals (speed wise) i find. just more cleaning but a far better product
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Whiskyaugogo » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:21 am

Taste as in alcohol? Have you aired for a couple of days?
Whiskyaugogo
Site Donor

equipment: To be updated

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:36 am

Yeah it was aired overnight before cuts as usual, thinking now I may not have cleaned the column properly before the spirit run.
all good though, swmbo likes it over the tpw. Ive got a jar from mid run of the strip run from my pot on oak, at first it had a horrid smell but now its mellowing.
cant wait for my controller parts to arrive.
cheers
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby WTDist » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:33 pm

what is the packing? standard T500 ceramic saddles? mine were putrid so i threw them away. they cant be cleaned enough. i used to boil them in vinegar and citric acid t hen just water and still they were smelly and imparted a flavour
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Andy » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:52 pm

what was the ABV
get some carbon :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Return to Sugar wash's