First CFW

Sugar wash info and questions

First CFW

Postby mark-gabb » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:14 pm

so had my CFW run today

think the pot still i''m using had some issues....couldn't get the ABV about 50%
took about 2 hours and ended with 4L at 38%
20160328_164913.jpg

seemed to run fairly well though had the toothpick like stream that I've been told to have, that Pyrex by the way
20160328_153159.jpg

had the added bonus of cooking a roast tonight so used the Webber to get an awesome toast on some American oak chunks...
20160328_193411.jpg

so if im right ill do about 4 runs the run it back though the pot again with careful cuts, and hopefully a better pot still

thanks to everyone on this site for all the advice and threads on how to do things....I never would of imagined even going this far
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mark-gabb

equipment: T500 turbo reflux still

Re: First CFW

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:06 pm

Good stuff mate. Don't worry too much about the ABV of the strip runs, 4L at 40% is alright for I'm guessing a 23L wash?

Weber and a strip run is a perfect way to bring an end to Easter :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby mark-gabb » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:12 am

I've tried using a torch, the oven, and in foil near the fire....nothing seems to have done the deep toasting like the Webber
mark-gabb

Postby Undertaker » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:06 am

Your equipment list shows a T500. Is that detuned or are you using a separate pot still?
From your notes it looks like you got 3.4 lt of strip. That sounds about right. There is no need for cuts on a strip run. Just take the fores out and then collect all the rest together. You are only going to tip it all back in for your spirit run anyway.

Cheers Phil
Undertaker

equipment: Electric boiler, 2" potstill column. 40" VM column, copper packed,
RC double wound coldfinger,
PC liebig condensor

Postby mark-gabb » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:11 am

ive borrowed a butchered pot still from a friend so i can learn a bit about them before i continue my build.....

but by butchered i mean butchered....

it was one of the still spirits pot stills, but my friend didnt understand how they worked as he had only used a t500....

it kept running too fast. so he cut the condenser arm off, put a screw fitting on it, and then ran 3 mtrs of 1/2" into a bucket coiled that you put ice water into with a outlet in the bottom of the bucket......

he never knew about turning down the power to the boiler....

on the up side my SCR worked perfectly and was able to control the boiler alot easier than i thought i would....the response time between turn down power and reduction in output is extremely fast
mark-gabb

Postby wynnum1 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:29 am

Are you running on T500 boiler if so have you looked at trying the t500 to finish off the run and see what comes out.
4 L OF 38 % seems a bit light.
wynnum1

Return to Sugar wash's