Sweet Feed

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Re: Sweet Feed

Postby BigRig » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:48 pm

chipboy wrote:Leave the Barley out, its malt is there to convert the starches you release and it is denatured going above about 68. Note there is alpha amalayse and bet amalayse, beta works at a lower term than alpha and will be harmed the most.

Best to is balance it out and add at 65C on the way down with temperatures. This way they will both do their thing and convert starch to sugars.

Grinding and particle size are another matter as is duration to fully gelatinise.

:text-+1:

Due to make some more of this stuff. Was very good.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby murrumfatboy » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:42 pm

chipboy wrote:Leave the Barley out, its malt is there to convert the starches you release and it is denatured going above about 68. Note there is alpha amalayse and bet amalayse, beta works at a lower term than alpha and will be harmed the most.

Best to is balance it out and add at 65C on the way down with temperatures. This way they will both do their thing and convert starch to sugars.

Grinding and particle size are another matter as is duration to fully gelatinise.

Forgot to mention that I was planning on using my Guten to take the temps UP like a normal brew. Are you suggesting I should do the hot stuff first (oats and corn), then once it is down to 65, do a mash with the malt? Given I have thermal control of the grains in the mash pipe, was hoping to do it either all at once, or with step mashes......
murrumfatboy

equipment: Alcoengine Pot Still

Postby chipboy » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:02 pm

take the temps UP like a normal brew. I am suggesting youI should do the hot stuff first (oats and corn), then once it is down to 65, do a mash with the malt

This is how to do it, adding it all hot kills the malt amalayse, keeping it low for the amlayse does not gelatinise, no free lunch, do the hard yards. Its chemistry.
chipboy

equipment: 50 litre keg, insulated and 4 plates at 4 inch. Home made mash tun.

Previous

Return to The Mash tun