WATER

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Re: WATER

Postby EziTasting » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:34 am

Doing a bit of reading online focusing on home brewing discussions, they seem to have 3 main methods:
1) let it sit - cheapest but also takes the longest and cholramine remains;
2) boil it - faster than 1, but chloramine still remains; and
3) use a Camden tablet. This seems to be the fastest but then introduces sulfides ... 1 tablet will treat 20gal (~80L).

I've never used Camden tablets but have heard of them previously (in a traveling context AND in a planting context ~high chlorine increases algal growth in pot plants)...

Has any one ever used them, personally?
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby sp0rk » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:02 am

Hunter United Brewers are having a lecture on brewing water on November 18th.
Mark, formerly of Mark's Home Brewing in Newcastle is hosting.
He answered a question over on AHB recently saying that SOME chlorine will evaporate overnight (or possibly even over longer periods), not all
I was hoping to make it, but have to go away for a friend's 30th
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby dogbreath vodka » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:05 am

Just a thought.

Rainwater tanks.
Once up front payment.
Free for the next ? years

https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/b ... ater-tanks
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby sp0rk » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:10 am

dogbreath vodka wrote:Just a thought.

Rainwater tanks.
Once up front payment.

If you're going to do it, install a first flush system and clean your leaf/mozzie guards every so often
Also, for brewing/distilling, best do at least a 15 minute boil to make sure you're killing any potential nasties
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby Sam. » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:44 am

warramungas wrote:
Kenster wrote:In Melb there is a shitload of chlorine in the water, some days you can smell it while showering, the missus says thats why i avoid showering.. ha ha
No really, i read somewhere that Vitamin C added to tap water will alter its composition and displace the chlorine, even though standing the water for several days outside (in the sun), will do the trick also. I kind of do this without any real ability to measure anything but figure that it cant hurt. Probably coz i believe what i read. All my washes 'seem' (subjective evaluation only) a bit smoother since i have started doing this. I use rain water sometimes but it seems a lot of stuffing around. I figure a teaspoon of VitC powder in the water a day or two before making up a wash is the go.There is other (Chloramine, i think) in the water also but it is very hard to get rid of.I think, even though the concentrations of chlorine in the water are lowish, it is supposed to impact on the action of the yeast.

Doesn't need to be outside in the sun. Chorine will naturally gas off water over a couple of days. Heating it will make it dissipate quicker though.

I don't have any science to back it up but after owning a chlorine pool for a few years I can definitely say that UV light kills the chlorine faster than heat alone, putting on a swimming pool cover makes your pool hotter but blocks the UV which makes the chlorine last longer, as soon as you take the cover off the chlorine pisses off real quick even when no one is swimming in it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby EziTasting » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:45 am

dogbreath vodka wrote:Just a thought.

Rainwater tanks.
Once up front payment.

Brilliant idea!! Trouble is, in the Pilbara, we get rain when we have cyclones. The rain drops are the size of buckets so when it finally rains, a 15k tank will be filled inside 30 mins, if it doesn't get blown away before it's full... :laughing-rolling:

We're dealing with night-time temps that are Eastern States 'Heat-Waves', where rain is so rare, kids stop playing video games to play outside in the rain... it is a unique place where even our bores are saline... 8-} so that means that the 'usual' options aren't always workable for us.

This is why I've started this discussion... :-B
EziTasting

Postby Kenster » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:01 pm

Ezi... looks like u r a bit schnookered up where u r at. But i suppose u did read up the Wikki on Campbden Tabs... the extra sulphur may actually be not so bad a trade off, as it removes both chlorines. I might even give it a test run myself, after i finish another 2 gens of CFW.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby EziTasting » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:18 pm

Kenster wrote:Ezi... looks like u r a bit schnookered up where u r at. But i suppose u did read up the Wikki on Campbden Tabs... the extra sulphur may actually be not so bad a trade off, as it removes both chlorines. I might even give it a test run myself, after i finish another 2 gens of CFW.

Well, be sure to put up results!! I've got 10 odd NF bottles up my sleeve - that'll be 150L so, 3 ferments of around 45-50L each to play with first...

Now to find Camden tabs...
EziTasting

Postby bluc » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:56 pm

Hey ezi just watching a video on youtube. They're talking to jack danials distillery reason they use limestone water is it does not contain iron. Apparently this changes the fermentation process, I guess it stresses the yeast and gives it a unique flavour profile :handgestures-thumbupleft: thought you may be intetested.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby EziTasting » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:09 am

bluc wrote:Hey ezi just watching a video on youtube. They're talking to jack danials distillery reason they use limestone water is it does not contain iron. Apparently this changes the fermentation process, I guess it stresses the yeast and gives it a unique flavour profile :handgestures-thumbupleft: thought you may be intetested.

Interesting... I don't think we have a problem with iron (being a mining town :laughing-rolling: ) in the water at least, but we probably have everything else!!!

Anyway, next ferment will NOT be town water!
EziTasting

Postby coffe addict » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:14 pm

Another option is .5 micron ceramic filter combined with a .5 micron activated carbon filter. It's what we used on the boat. Together they will remove all bacteria and chemicals except fluoride. Negates the need for boiling and remove chlorine!
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby warramungas » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:26 pm

Sam. wrote:
warramungas wrote:
Kenster wrote:In Melb there is a shitload of chlorine in the water, some days you can smell it while showering, the missus says thats why i avoid showering.. ha ha
No really, i read somewhere that Vitamin C added to tap water will alter its composition and displace the chlorine, even though standing the water for several days outside (in the sun), will do the trick also. I kind of do this without any real ability to measure anything but figure that it cant hurt. Probably coz i believe what i read. All my washes 'seem' (subjective evaluation only) a bit smoother since i have started doing this. I use rain water sometimes but it seems a lot of stuffing around. I figure a teaspoon of VitC powder in the water a day or two before making up a wash is the go.There is other (Chloramine, i think) in the water also but it is very hard to get rid of.I think, even though the concentrations of chlorine in the water are lowish, it is supposed to impact on the action of the yeast.

Doesn't need to be outside in the sun. Chorine will naturally gas off water over a couple of days. Heating it will make it dissipate quicker though.

I don't have any science to back it up but after owning a chlorine pool for a few years I can definitely say that UV light kills the chlorine faster than heat alone, putting on a swimming pool cover makes your pool hotter but blocks the UV which makes the chlorine last longer, as soon as you take the cover off the chlorine pisses off real quick even when no one is swimming in it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Dont tell my wife I was wrong. She's got enough ammunition as it is.
wp_ss_20161101_0001.png

http://hendryutilities.com/plus/docs/Ch ... 080817.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby CyBaThUg » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:53 pm

Has anyone used bore water in a mash
CyBaThUg

equipment: pot still

Postby scythe » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:08 pm

I think Doc does at dobson's.
Or maybe it was rainwater.
Something about filtered water not cutting the mustard.
Something to do with some "impurities" being beneficial to the yeast in the fermentation environment.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby EziTasting » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:24 pm

CyBaThUg wrote:Has anyone used bore water in a mash

As long as you don't have high iron in your bore water...
EziTasting

Postby CyBaThUg » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:10 pm

How do u test for that I'm going to use it when I'm running my still was just curious if it would work in a mash only thinking bout it cuz we r on level 3 water restrictions
CyBaThUg

Postby EziTasting » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:14 pm

CyBaThUg wrote:How do u test for that I'm going to use it when I'm running my still was just curious if it would work in a mash only thinking bout it cuz we r on level 3 water restrictions

Not sure, perhaps the local pool shop?
When you use bore water for reticulation, do you get brown stains?
EziTasting

Postby CyBaThUg » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:12 pm

I have only fixed it recently and have been using it for a month since water restrictions and have no stains but may take longer than a month
CyBaThUg

Postby EziTasting » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:16 pm

This is what I was talking about...

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 5.14.28 PM.png

You'd know if you had this issue if the bore had been used previously!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EziTasting

Postby CyBaThUg » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:23 pm

Yeah I know but I've only been using it in the last month I've been living here since 08 and the pump was broken but am doing a fitter and turner apprenticeship so I fixed it and have only used it for a month which I don't think is long enough to stain anything
CyBaThUg

PreviousNext

Return to The Mash tun