Malting your own

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Malting your own

Postby ultrasuede » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:46 pm

My latest venture into this fantastic hobby, is malting. I currently have 20kg of feed barley that has been soaked and in now (Hopefully) about to sprout. Does anyone have experience with this? Online resources contradict each other left right and center. I suspect that much of the information available is from people who actually haven't done it. My next grain is corn. There is even less information on corn, and many more failures than success.
ultrasuede

equipment: Boka 1.5 metre, 50lt keg boiler and a pot still.

Re: Malting your own

Postby maddogpearse » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:35 am

I had success.
I built trays, 100mm deep to fit on the racks in my fermentation fridge. After 3 x 8 hour steeps with 8 hour rests between, I filled the trays and germed at 18 degrees. Once acrospire length is about 75% of the length of the grain (on average, they're all different) then stop. Make sure you don't add too much water when germinating or it will grow mold. The water from steeping should be enough. And stir at least a few times a day to keep the temp and moisture uniform.
I did mine in summer so there was plenty of hot days. I did primary drying layed thin on a big board lying on the ground over 3 about 35 degree days. Once the moisture level is down below 10%, (crunchy when chewed) the enzymes are safe from harm, so I into the oven for a few hours at about 120 degrees.
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Postby coffe addict » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:17 am

Drying temperatures need to be limited
when using a high temperature dryer to
prevent damaging the quality of malting
barley. Since germination is important in
the malting process, 100°F is the
maximum recommended drying air
temperature.

This is a small portion of a pdf downloaded from the American malting barley association.
Another link I've found said that temps above 149f will denature the beta amylase significantly reducing the potential yield.
From my reading the malting will have a higher quality and better yield if you use high airflows and low temp heating to dry after the malting process.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Sam. » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:32 am

This works for me :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to The Mash tun