Mash tun pics

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Re: Mash tun pics

Postby EziTasting » Mon May 29, 2017 7:54 pm

Hey Tipsy,
I've been dreaming about a Braumeister! Are they as good as they show on YouTube?!?!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby tipsy » Tue May 30, 2017 9:56 am

EziTasting wrote:Hey Tipsy,
I've been dreaming about a Braumeister! Are they as good as they show on YouTube?!?!

I love mine but the grainfather since upgrading the controller is really closing in on the BM.

What I love most is that it gives me my day back.
e.g. Sunday I mashed in a program, went to gym. came back and started the boil, had lunch. Came back and threw some hops in went to clean the gutters of the house. Came back threw some more hops in, chilled and put in fermenter, pitched yeast and a quick clean then off to watch the footy, drink beer and whisky...the perfect day really.
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby tipsy » Tue May 30, 2017 9:57 am

No good for mashing large amounts of corn though.
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby tipsy » Tue May 30, 2017 9:57 am

But great for sous vide cooking :handgestures-thumbupleft:
tipsy

Postby EziTasting » Tue May 30, 2017 4:50 pm

Haha that's awesome!

I'm not into beer :scared-eek: makes me bloat too much!! So I'd use it to make Whisky!!

Yours a 20 or 50L?

RE: Grainfather - been watching the comparisons and what I got out of it (in the end) is that the BM is more reliable with less fluffing around & easier to use while the GF does make higher ABV and is cheaper and in at least one case it produced better flavour...
EziTasting

Postby tipsy » Wed May 31, 2017 12:33 pm

EziTasting wrote:Yours a 20 or 50L?

Mines a 20lt, so I do 2 batches to fill my 60lt fermenter (wish I had a 50l)

EziTasting wrote:RE: Grainfather - been watching the comparisons and what I got out of it (in the end) is that the BM is more reliable with less fluffing around & easier to use while the GF does make higher ABV and is cheaper and in at least one case it produced better flavour...

The GF really has to be considered now they've upgraded the controller, I can't see how the beer can taste better, imho the beer out of my old esky mashtun tasted just as good as the BM. Consistency in repeating recipes was more the issue.
tipsy

Postby EziTasting » Wed May 31, 2017 5:54 pm

Cheers, Valuable info!

Noticed the pricing has come down, tho, on the BM, with only a $1K between the 20L & 50L for more than double the volume... it's not too bad! :scared-eek: but I don't have a lazy $3.5K lying around... :angry-banghead:
EziTasting

Postby CyBaThUg » Wed May 31, 2017 6:51 pm

Anyone try incorporating that new controller in a home built mashtun
CyBaThUg

equipment: pot still

Postby EziTasting » Wed May 31, 2017 8:06 pm

CyBaThUg wrote:Anyone try incorporating that new controller in a home built mashtun

We got one with the mash tun set up we just bought. Has a temp probe linked to a mixer and a heater - one side while the other side is for a HLT. Both sides have a controlling point for a pump, so we could operate 2 pumps...

IMG_8306.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EziTasting

Postby CyBaThUg » Wed May 31, 2017 8:59 pm

Looks very pricey
CyBaThUg

Postby EziTasting » Wed May 31, 2017 9:16 pm

CyBaThUg wrote:Looks very pricey

Didn't build it, bought it. Came with a 20L Mash-tun (temp probe, heater & mixer) and a second HLT (similar set up just no mixer), 2 of those brown 12V pumps... $400 of FB...

Controller does seem to get very hot! Going to open it up with a sparky mate to see what we can do to cool it down (heat sinks or drilling holes for ventilation).
EziTasting

Postby CyBaThUg » Wed May 31, 2017 10:04 pm

400 a bargain wanted to build something around the 100 ltr mark but what puts me of is the controller side of things and like the grain fathers new controller but dunno if u could make it work on a home built tun and I think it only handles a 2000 watt element so unsure even if u had another element in the tun it may confuse the controller somehow that's y I was hoping someone has tried but that's my next project finish off my bubbler first lol
CyBaThUg

Previous

Return to The Mash tun