School me on AG

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Re: School me on AG

Postby EziTasting » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:22 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft: I'm with you!

Just wish I could download this into my thick scull! I want to make it not continually reading about it... :angry-banghead:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Sparrow » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:32 pm

Thanks guys I am lapping all this up.

Where would I find rice hulls?
Sparrow

equipment: 4 plate bubbler on a 50l keg boiler.

Postby TasSpirits » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:52 pm

Sparrow wrote:Thanks guys I am lapping all this up.

Where would I find rice hulls?

I get mine at my LHBS, add about 3 good handfuls per 22-25L mash, lets me mill the grain a bit finer, improve efficiency and sparge better. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Sparrow » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:19 am

My lhbs is pretty limited, I talked to him the other day and he actually told me to just go online if I want to get into AG. He definitely leans towards basic beer brewing and t500 spirit setups.

But surely i can find some online, thanks for the heads up.
Sparrow

Postby coffe addict » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:19 am

@bluc I've uses us05 for rum but it seriously struggled with the high sg and I added bakers a day in to finish it off.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby coffe addict » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:20 am

I should also note that it was under pitched, maybe if slightly over pitched it would work. Worth a try
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements

Postby Sparrow » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:18 am

I'm waiting until the weather warms up a bit and then I'll try some rum. Very keen for that as the old man and I both enjoy a nice rum.

To be honest I've been doing neutrals and CFW since the start and I haven't really liked anything I've produced. My mates happy, but he's more of a drinker than I am.
I'm in it for the challenge of making something I'm proud of and i'd much rather sit down with one good dram of whisky than a night on cfw and coke. That's why I wish it was easier to visit a couple of the forum blokes and leach a bit of experience. I'm usually not a perfectionist unless it's something I'm passionate about and it turns out spirits is one of those things!

That's why I figure I need to get into AG so thanks again everyone for the help, I really do appreciate it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sparrow

Postby coffe addict » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:25 am

I am with you on cfw and similar cereal based drinks, they are ok but never great. I had a whiskey here that was about 12months old and when my first all grain whiskey hit three months it had completely blown away everything I'd made before. I donated 10L at aging strength to charity aka friends and family lol

Your going to want a barrel for aging! Where does it end lol
coffe addict

Postby Sparrow » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:59 am

coffe addict wrote:I am with you on cfw and similar cereal based drinks, they are ok but never great. I had a whiskey here that was about 12months old and when my first all grain whiskey hit three months it had completely blown away everything I'd made before. I donated 10L at aging strength to charity aka friends and family lol

Your going to want a barrel for aging! Where does it end lol

That's the next thing I've been looking into! There's a cooper in SA ive neen looking at. Thinking of starting with a 10 or 15 litre.

Depends who's cutting, I'm probably too tight i think and might take years to fill the thing, my mate on the other hand is quite...generous with what he calls good likka haha
Sparrow

Postby coffe addict » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:36 pm

Well I'm a bit anal when it comes to heads and probably waste 400 to 500ml compared to other people's cuts, however I do like peat and most of that is in the early tails but I've found that the tails aren't manky like rum tails.
coffe addict

Previous

Return to The Mash tun