Japanese for disaster is same word for opportunity

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Japanese for disaster is same word for opportunity

Postby ThePaterPiper » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:28 pm

Hi guys.

my front loader washing machine shat itself this week. Not happy :crying-blue: :crying-blue: :crying-blue:

However, it has a really nice stainless steel drum that looks to be just the think for a false floor of our mash esky, and after our disaster with our BIAB tearing, I think when opportunity strikes... If I get the drum flattened out well enough for use as a false floor, will this completely negate the need for a manifold / bazooka attachment to the all thread inside the esky?

Also, I was having to put a tap in place of the drain on the esky anyway and was considering using brass as the temps are relatively low but I read that it will need pickling? Never heard of that. Can anyone confirm if that is required or am I better off sourcing stainless or copper if it exists in all thread.

If I get the drum flattened out well enough for use as a false floor, will this completely negate the need for a manifold / bazooka attachment to the all thread inside the esky?

Thanks for your patience with all of the questions,
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Re: Japanese for disaster is same word for opportunity

Postby scythe » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:41 pm

Brass needs to be pickeled to prevent the lead from leaching into your liquid.

Stainless is easy enough to find.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby tipsy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:48 am

Lots of people use brass in their mash tuns.

The lead would have to get through mashing, fermenting and then distilling to get into your drink.
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby orcy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:56 am

As long as the false bottom covers yiur outlet, you dont need any other filtering.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby ThePaterPiper » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:35 am

Awesome. Thanks guys.
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby ThePaterPiper » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:08 am

Been a while since I have had a chance to do much of anything lately, and with the wife at work, outside is 45° in the shade so the kids wind bother me, time to chop up that washing machine drum.

I got a bit excited and forgot to take a photo before I cut the ends off and down the seam, but you get the idea!!

As fate would have it, the length of our esky tun was exactly right just to cut down the far edges of the agitation ridges and as for width, no adjustment necessary. It’s like it was meant to be!

Drum with both ends off and cut down the seam

All flattened out

All trimmed, showing side profile

Obligatory finished product shot with Japanese safety boot in view. :laughing-rolling:

Now just to fit the all thread, cut a hole in one of the ridges to let the all thread pass through to the underside and we are ready to sparge away to our hearts content! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
ThePaterPiper

Postby bluc » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:45 pm

Hate to be a party pooper but how big are those holes :-B
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby ThePaterPiper » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:02 pm

About 2mm. I think they will be ok. If not I was thinking I could line it with muslin cloth.
ThePaterPiper

Postby bluc » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:34 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft: not sure off top of my head how big ones in mine are..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:38 pm

ThePaterPiper wrote:About 2mm. I think they will be ok. If not I was thinking I could line it with muslin cloth.

A layer of rice husk's from the HBS may help as well ifn ya thinkin they are too big.esspesially ifn ya doing corn wich has been ground very fine.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby ThePaterPiper » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:14 pm

Good to know. Cheers Hillsabilly.

I can only give it a try and see how it goes.
ThePaterPiper

Postby coffe addict » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:52 pm

Quite a few commercially available falsies use 2mm holes!
Personally I think it is on the large side and you'll probably find that you need to draw off quite a bit until grain husks stop coming out. No biggie just tip the cloudy/grainy stuff into the top of the mash tun and start keeping once it clears up.
Beer guys constantly recirculate the mash so a larger sized hole isn't an issue for them. Most whiskey guys don't bother with setting up continual sparking.
I think it'll work great and wished I had thought of it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby ThePaterPiper » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:46 pm

Cheers Coffe,

It was worth a try, and I’m a tight arse with Scottish roots, so if I can get out of it without spending anything on it I will :D

When our bag broke on our first ag run, the grain eventually stopped coming through the 10mm diameter bung hole, creating a filter, so I am confident the 2 mm holes will eventually stop letting the wee beasties through!
ThePaterPiper

Return to The Mash tun