Bryan's Double Boiler Build

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Re: Bryan's Double Boiler Build

Postby orcy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:15 pm

I wish i had the time to learn coppersmithing. Just too many hobbies and not enough hours to dedicate. Looking good bryan.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Re: Bryan's Double Boiler Build

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:50 pm

Eh Orcy,
It is time you saw some other hobbies as wasted time and start making things with copper as it is an infectious disease that can't be cured :teasing-tease:

One can start with a few tools, a blow torch, hacksaw, a few files and some emery paper for that shine and for cleaning joints before solder. A 4" also grinder comes in handy like mine did today to cut out the inner part of the 3" for the lower sealing join.

Have a look around scrap yards and demolition sites for scrap copper so you can have a play.

Now for my bubbler build I got all my copper from a scrap yard and a bottle of my early stuff went a fair way with prices. Later on when I wanted some 6" I dropped another bottle off and took home 3 full coils of 1/2" a good length of 6" and a 250 litre copper hot water tank for 150 cabbages.

In chat last I got asked where is the build thread and as this was a different way of making a reducer it aint recommended for the faint hearted :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

It took with last night and today around 8 hours to get that reducer done and when that final solder joint went on it was great I got it done by lunchtime.

Use the template on this site for making reducer and just print them out to mark out then anneal and use tin snips to cut the piece. Don't anneal and have a good exercise too :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Get your first still made with no worries about sulphides and start thinking :snooty: about how you can build the next one better :))

Above all the hard work you put into copper does make the best drop and make you wonder why you used some commercial crap that cost a bomb :teasing-tease:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Previous

Return to The Mash tun