AG Proccess

all about mashing and fermenting grains

AG Proccess

Postby TasSpirits » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:51 am

This is a basic infusion method, I have been using this for years with good results. I have done this as BIAB and currently use a single vessel brewery.
Heat strike water to 72', I use spring water, if you are using tap water, boil the night before and let the nasty's evaporate overnight. In how to brew by John Palmer, he says to have your strike water 10-15f above desired mash temp.
Stir in crushed malt, I use a big whisk, I also crush my malt as fine as I can and add rice hulls when mashing for Whisky.
Rest for 60m, some people stir, some recirculate and some let it sit. Full conversion should have happened by this time. Preform starch test, I use Tincture of Iodine from Amcal. If conversion is successful drain wort.
Sparging, I sparge from 70 to 72' you need the water to be hot, so it removes the sugar from the grain, but not hot enough to release unwanted tannins from the barley husks and denature the enzymes. I would suggest reading the sparging section in How to Brew, Im not going to go into detail about the different methods as I don't usually follow them that closely. I heat enough sparge water to get me to my desired fermenter level and slowly pour it through a colander placed over my malt pipe trying to maintain about 25mm of liquid over the grain bed.
Chill the resulting Wort to pitching temp ASAP, I use a wort chiller, my water is very cold, so it cools real quick.
Pitch yeast and ferment at recommended temp, I use temp controlled fridges.

I don't like to over complicate things, the KISS method works for me.

How to Brew is a good read for those getting started. This method works for me with my set up, I have posted it to start the discussion separate to Blucs "whisky all grain"
There are plenty of videos and other aids out there, If I have a chance I will be making some pale ale tomorrow, I will try to video it if my camcorder still works, I will try include the starch test etc. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Re: AG Proccess

Postby TasSpirits » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:23 pm

Decided to make the beer today, wont be I vid, but ill post a few pics as I go. Grain bill = 4kg joe white pale malt, mash in at 70' for 60mins. I will be drawing of 3L and gently pouring it back over the grain 4 times instead of recirculating. Ill post some shots from the brewers friend app.
TasSpirits

Postby gap » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:59 pm

Why are you mashing at 70?
you will get a lot of unfermentable sugars at that temperature.
You would be better off at closer to 63 and mash for 90 minutes.
gap

equipment: nothing at the moment. want to purchase or make a pot still

Postby bluc » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:56 pm

I was told the same. Beta amylase mash is what we want for highly fermentable wort. Alpha amylase active at higher temp will also produce high gravity wort but not nessasarly as fermentable but I am only going on what I have read on beer forums. I only ever mash at 63-65..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby TasSpirits » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:57 pm

Sorry guys, mashed in at 70 and held at 65' for 60mins. Didn't check before posting. :angry-banghead:
TasSpirits

Return to The Mash tun