Postby The Stig » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:39 pm

:laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Re: Cracked corn

Postby Draven » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:05 am

Look I do realize that it is a reflux and what it does but I have read on other sites that you can get flavors from it without re-turning or removing the packing and above 90%.

Now I do know you can get a smell and bad flavor when you use turbo yeast and other turbo products so I figured there may just be some sort of truth to it.

This is the quick version on how it works.

Guys, I think we are overcomplicating things. All I say is: you can fractionate a great whiskey. And that is against everything we asumed normally. Heartcut, a whiskey in one go, and taking it to 180 proof ... Yeah, that will give you an eau de vie, light whiskey, strong vodka. What Ian (and I) propose is: really fractionate your whiskey, making cuts for fores, heads, hearts and tails. Not at 180 proof, but if possible at 190. Throw out fores, keep heads and tails together as feints. How will the hearts be on this first gen Pure Whiskey? Like a vodka or eau de vie. Next mash, that's where the magic happens. Add the feints from run one to mash number two and fractionate again at 190 proof. Seperate fores, heads, hearts and tails. Fores you toss as usual. Heads and tails you collect in the feints container. And here it comes: the hearts on this second gen are awesome! Full whiskey flavour, no ageing required.

Dunder puts it correctly: what is new in this thread is not the feints part or how cuts are done. It is about that you can fractionate a great whiskey. In other words: you don't need a potstill or flute to make a great whiskey.

Odin.
Draven

equipment: T500 REFLUX CM

Postby The Stig » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:48 am

Good luck
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby shortcut » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:18 am

Yeah bro, good luck.
shortcut

equipment: Keggomax-CM
unfinished copper pot still

Postby bluc » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:30 am

:text-+1: remember the plastic bits if it gets hot they will warp leak :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby scythe » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:50 pm

I don't see why it wouldn't work, fair bit of effort to make it work, but it would work.
Running it faster would allow some flavour through.

Each type of still has its purpose, you might save money by not buying another still but you will definately not save time.

Make what you want with what you have and remember its all about making an end product your happy with, whatever the rest of us say.

Wonder how many theoretical "plates" are in a t500 column.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Wobblyboot » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:59 pm

I had a t500 and I found it just smeared the fractions if run too hard. I’d recommend buying an adapter and nut from 5star for the t500 lid and making a simple pot to go on it or if u not handy with tools just buy a 2” from them. U will then be able to make full flavored drinks that aren’t a compromise of running a still in a way that it’s not meant to do :twocents-mytwocents:
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Previous

Return to The Mash tun