Bulk grain in Brisbane

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Bulk grain in Brisbane

Postby Cadmoon » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:00 pm

I'm looking for a place to source buld malted barley in Brisbane, where are the other locals getting their's from?
Had a quick look around and couldn't find any recent posts discussing it.
Cadmoon

equipment: Home made pelican with shotgun condenser on a t500 with alembic dome.

Re: Bulk grain in Brisbane

Postby RC Al » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:15 pm

What end of town you at?

Hoppy days brewing at Virginia and cannon hill home brew are good places to start :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Cadmoon » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:39 pm

I've been getting my grain from hoppy days thus far but was wondering if there was anywhere else worth looking into. Northside is where I live :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cadmoon

equipment: Home made pelican with shotgun condenser on a t500 with alembic dome.

Postby coffe addict » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:55 am

Depends on the quantity!
Craft brewer has been the cheapest by far when a pallet is ordered. There's often group buys organised by one of the beer forums.
If you order by the tonne it's cheaper again but that's out of my league.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Cadmoon » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:55 am

Thanks mate, I'll have a look around at some brewers forums.
Cadmoon

Postby RC Al » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:57 pm

If anyone gets onto anything good, please pm me, im not fully set up for AG yet, but if i can help someone else in a bulk buy, i wont say no to a bit of well priced malt, im happy to mash whatevers going at this stage, i can be a malt whore for a while, i have no opinions on any of it yet :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby bluc » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:15 pm

I can vouch for Barrett burston ale malt , makes a nice whiskey just by itself. And craftbrewer only charges $2.50kg for it if you buy 20kg or more.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby RC Al » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:35 pm

Thanks for that one bluc, they are much better on the lower qty prices than hoppy, but at the bag level they are pretty even, given the extra 20-30k's each way and tolls or a trip through the valley, hoppy is still a ok option for northside oriented people depending on what your buying, they seem happy to grind a whole bag with no question as well.

I thought these guys had shut, but they only moved - stafford - smaller qty poor pricing, but big bags are ok
https://www.countrybrewer.com.au/catego ... lk-Grain-/

Craft are clearing some light malt @$1.50 a kg, now we are talking lols https://www.craftbrewer.com.au/cafe-lig ... gs-chateau

Had another look at cannon hill and they blow the others out of the water on small qty, may be worth a call for bags (not listed), their kg price is not much over the others full bag price -eg the burson ale malt is $2.65 by the kg
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby wynnum1 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:57 pm

https://www.brewsnews.com.au/advert/mal ... istilling/

Bulk malt options

We’re not stuck on set weights of 500kg or 1000kg – our forte is custom sized bulk bags, be it 200kg for base malts for smaller breweries or specialty malts for larger breweries through to maximum 1000kg. Any size in increments of 5kg is easily done.

Bulk malt bags 500kg and under can be double stacked, so you do not get pinged by freight companies charging multiple pallets unnecessarily.

We also offer malt blending options, for those who want to avoid 25kg bag handling altogether. For example, 600kg Ale malt, 25kg Weyermann® Carahell®, and 25kg Bairds Amber, can be blended homogeneously into 1 x bulk bag.
wynnum1

Return to The Mash tun